Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What camber with same tires front & rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Norm Swanberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What camber with same tires front & rear?

I have an 88 951 non S and have just gone to 245/45/16 RA1's on 8" phone dials front & rear. I have 200 lb front springs with 26.8 sway bar and nylon bushings inside. I have Racers edge camber plates. Shocks are Koni Yellow. The rear control arm bushings are new MO-30. The rear sway bar is Weltmeister. Stock height. The car's primary purpose is track, but I drive to & from track and some other. I have other cars for daily drivers.

It seems the most camber I can get in the rear is -1.2. I tried these tires with -1.5 camber in the front and the tires rubbed during a test spin. I am currently at -3.3 in the front which gives me more than enough clearance, but is not good for tire wear. I am thinking I want as little as possible in the front and still clear the fender, perhaps -2 or -2.5, and max in the rear at -1.2. Someone said they thought this would understeer and they should both be the same. I have an appointment Monday for alignment.

I know the same tires front & rear is common on track cars. What camber are others using that they are happy with? Any suggestions? Large $$$ to change this & that are not in the budget.
Thanks,
Norm
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no rule that says front and rear camber have to be the same. They are just another set-up parameter to play with when trying to get the car handling to your spec.

Since it is a track car, perhaps just set the rear to max -ve camber, and then experiment with the front settings to find a balance you like. Front and rear sway settings are relatively inexpensive things to play with. Springs are also fairly cheap if you've got coilovers. Replacing shocks and struts start getting expensive, of course, but if you've got adjustable ones, that's another thing to have some fun playing around with. Ride height front and rear will also affect handling -- it is possible to go too low on these cars.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bit more Castor on the front gives a better tire were cornering compromise running a bit less tire pressure on the street may help tire ware also but if its mostly a track car stack on as much as you can on 16" rims ..

Quick Reply: What camber with same tires front & rear?