Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do lightened crankshaft may cause engine vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
it was a used one, and supossedly balanced. Maybe we could reverify the thing...

thanks for all the info guys!

c.
Oh uh…’supposedly’ ….that will get you in trouble!
There are several ways to balance flywheels – some people balance them with the pressure plate bolted on (then the ‘pair’ are balance but neither is balanced separately).

The best way is to balance each part seperatley.

If you don’t see dill marks where material has been removed from the side of the flywheel then it has not been balanced. Most likely it would be near the trigger stud.
And then there are the folks that just like to say things have been balanced…because they believe that the Fidanza folks balanced it at the factory (Not).
Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I never saw the flywheel. But I trust the guy who installed it and he told me it was balanced.

This part was for his own spare engine that was never built. He also told me that the pressure plates were also balanced.

I assume that they were balanced separately. I have an hybrid clutch of some sort (spec 2 pressure plate and centerforce discs or the other way around).

But the vibration is just like if the balance shaft weren't aligned, but they are.

Isn't it strange?

I will work on the car saturday in preparation for the Calabogie Cup at the end of the month. So we'll go through all that.

c.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Actually, I never saw the flywheel. But I trust the guy who installed it and he told me it was balanced.

This part was for his own spare engine that was never built. He also told me that the pressure plates were also balanced.

I assume that they were balanced separately. I have an hybrid clutch of some sort (spec 2 pressure plate and centerforce discs or the other way around).

But the vibration is just like if the balance shaft weren't aligned, but they are.

Isn't it strange?

c.

It's not strange. That's exactly what a fidenza flywheel that's out of balance feels like.

TonyG
Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tony! We will have to verify everything before the next race which is next weekend!

C.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Follow up: the cause of the vibration is, hmm, hmm, driver ignorance...

I have solid mounts on my engine since last year. Everybody were saying that it was quite apparent when putting them on. At the time, I did not find that the vibrations were that bad. But my engine was well worn out and much like a sewing machine...

My new engine is quite strong, with lots of compression and it does vibrates a lot. I tried another car with solid mounts and a new engine and it is feeling the same.

So please excuse me bothering you all!

c.

Quick Reply: Do lightened crankshaft may cause engine vibrations?