951 vs Mini Cooper Turbo on the Track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Since I have a 65 GT350, several 944s, a Ford pickup and a mini I must be a Hairy chested macho throwback(GT350) that wears polyester print shirts with a gold coke spoon necklace (944) while wearing leather chaps with boot & spurs (both pick up and Mini).
now THAT is one hell of a visual....LOL

Anyone see this? As it is some what on topic:

"Mini challenges Porsche to Road Atlanta showdown"

http://www.ajc.com/news/mini-challen...to-548964.html
Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

The Mini is such a fun car to drive but if I had to have either a Mini or a 951 for track use Id rather have the 951...def not a gay car though!!

Dads mini:

Old 06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Its kind of funny when you think of it…
The Mini gets stereotyped as either a gay or chick car and the 944 is its day was one of the premier open shirt, gold chain wearing, coke snorting, disco stud cars….

Since I have a 65 GT350, several 944s, a Ford pickup and a mini I must be a Hairy chested macho throwback(GT350) that wears polyester print shirts with a gold coke spoon necklace (944) while wearing leather chaps with boot & spurs (both pick up and Mini).

BTW – never underestimate the fun of driving a good handling car that most other drivers think is a ‘girly’ car. I have really embarrassed a lot of ‘wanabees’ in ‘sporty’ cars…
Funny, a customer of mine from Canada his name is Alain, it seems that you worked in his car for several años called you by a name that fits a person driving a mini cooper.

From my experience as a family counselor I can tell you that many man unconsciously connect to their hidden feminine side by buying a chick-gay car, please to those who own a mini cooper don't feel bad nor ashamed.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

for those who never seen or driven a REAL mini cooper here is the real thing. the original cooper curb weight was 1368-1443 lbs the new one is 2300lbs that's one hell of a pig, dimensions are 23 inches longer, 23 inches wider and 2.8 inches taller than the original cooper.
Attached Images    
Old 06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
for those who never seen or driven a REAL mini cooper here is the real thing. the original cooper curb weight was 1368-1443 lbs the new one is 2300lbs that's one hell of a pig, dimensions are 23 inches longer, 23 inches wider and 2.8 inches taller than the original cooper.
You could sit on the roof and still reach the pedals and steering wheel through the sunroof, if it had one.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The "REAL" MINI\BUG was smaller and different but would you really want one today (2010) Or would such a small car even sell? I think not . Now they are bigger to be safer\less noisy as well as more comfortable. I dont see the point in remaking them at all. That being said the new versions are still "cute". My missus drive a new bug btw
Old 06-15-2010, 05:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
is every freakin car nowadays gay or a chick car? I'm not gay, but when you hear the reference that the Mazda Miata for example is a gay car it really pisses me off because i enjoy driving all the miatas and i thought the Mini was a good alternative to the 951 if i ever sell her.

So, let me understand -- is every tight small compact car gay? because it's "cute" to your next neighbor gay guy?
Yeah but face it, chicks are kinda ghey too. I mean they have sex with Men and stuff.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:26 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

the new one is 2300lbs that's one hell of a pig
If I ever got my car that light, I would have to change my pants when I saw "2300" on the scales.

Originally Posted by Adonay
would you really want one today (2010) Or would such a small car even sell? I think not . Now they are bigger to be safer\less noisy as well as more comfortable. I dont see the point in remaking them at all.
Yes, they sell them everywhere but America. They're usually called "city cars" or "kei cars". They're incredibly popular.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yeah but face it, chicks are kinda ghey too. I mean they have sex with Men and stuff.
So...the chicks that have sex with other chicks...are straight?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
Seriously, they are phenomenal cars and I love mine.
How reliable are they for a DD? The BMW connection has me concerned, as my e46 has to be the least reliable automobile ever produced in the history of mankind. In fact, the BMW block over anything else gives me great pause in considering a Cooper for a DD.

If it's just a connected-at-the-boardroom thing, maybe that's ok. But if they have any of that quality BMW engineering - I'll pass.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I bought mine new in mid Oct '09 and have put 42k miles on it. So far, its been dead reliable. I expect to have around 80k miles on it by Oct '10 and plan on trading it off for another new one, assuming it continues to be troublefree. I did replace the run flat tires, but that was more due to noise and performance, rather than wear.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:50 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Red1
How reliable are they for a DD? The BMW connection has me concerned, as my e46 has to be the least reliable automobile ever produced in the history of mankind. In fact, the BMW block over anything else gives me great pause in considering a Cooper for a DD.

If it's just a connected-at-the-boardroom thing, maybe that's ok. But if they have any of that quality BMW engineering - I'll pass.
It's maybe not a Bimmer, but it's built by the same people, albeit on the weekends while they're doing drugs.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Funny, a customer of mine from Canada his name is Alain, it seems that you worked in his car for several años called you by a name that fits a person driving a mini cooper.
Fast?

From my experience as a family counselor ….
Now that is a job description that would not have come to mind for Lart…!

From my experience as a family counselor I can tell you that many man unconsciously connect to their hidden feminine side by buying a chick-gay car, please to those who own a mini cooper don't feel bad nor ashamed.
What does your background as a family counselor say about someone that feels the need to pull the still beating hearts out of a symbol of masculinity and success?

If you own a Mini Cooper then you should be ashamed…A Mini Cooper S is a totally different thing…
Old 06-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Red1

My ’02 Cooper S made it to 102k miles before the supercharger belt broke….
The only work it has had before that is a brake upgrade (Willwood calipers and rotors due to track use) and the drivers window motor had to be replaced.
My car gets the snot beat out of it on a regular basis – on the street and on the track.
My only complaint is that the closest dealer is 3 hours away and parts are not as available as easily as I would like.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

From the Mini vs Porsche race challenge article -
"Porsche president Detlev Von Platen declined Mini’s initial challenge in an e-mail to McDowell. The e-mail, which McDowell read in a video message this morning said, “Porsche does not race for fame, stunts and publicity.” Von Platen then invited Mini to come to one of his “sanctioned races where there is more at stake than T-shirts and valet parking spaces.”

So, McDowell upped the ante. He offered two Justin Beiber concert tickets and backstage passes, a membership to the salami-of-the-month club, a collection of cashmere sweaters and other tidbits of ridiculousness."

That's some pretty funny stuff! Got to give the Mini guys credit for sense of humor - salami-of-the-month club - thats priceless!

Quick Reply: 951 vs Mini Cooper Turbo on the Track?