Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Motor Mounts

I have just removed the engine from the car and I am thinking about all the things I should do while I have it out. One of those projects involves the motor mounts. I know I saw at one point that Porsche updated the motor mounts to a newer style(?). My current ones are colored orange. Does that tell me something? Are they updated already? How can I tell? Should I replace anyway? Thanks for the advice and info. in advance. JR
Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello JR, Check the passenger side mount over to see if it is bulging out at any point. A bad mount will cause engine vibration on start up and idling. OE Mounts is the only way to go and worth the money not to have to go back in and replace them in a year if you buy cheaper after market mounts. The passenger side is the one that takes the beating and gets soaked in oil and ATF fluid. I have never seen orange colored mounts. Are the mounts solid or have a rubber donut? Maybe someone on here can answer that one for you. If the mounts look OK I'd put them back in as they are just under $400 for a pair. Since I don't know why you pulled the engine. Replace the RMS (Elring), all front seals, and modify the bell housing where the Speed Sensor goes into the hole. Draw a straight line from the top and bottom of the hole out to the front edge and cut that area out. It will make a "U" shape cut. This is so you will not have to remove the Speed/Reference Sensor Bracket and Sensors the next time you have to go into the Clutch or RMS. Just makes life so much easier.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jdog,

Pick up a set of solid mounts from Dave McGrath (evil944T-username). Well worth it.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a brand new set of Lindsey solid motor mounts (& transmission mount) available if interested. They've never been taken out of the box.

Rick
Old 06-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So if I can see the steering wheel visibly shaking at idle it's a good bet that my motor mounts are shot?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
So if I can see the steering wheel visibly shaking at idle it's a good bet that my motor mounts are shot?
Yes. But you won't get much relief using solid mounts! Solid mounts have their place, but not usually suited to a street application.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Yes. But you won't get much relief using solid mounts! Solid mounts have their place, but not usually suited to a street application.
I was thinking either the Lindsey or CEP mounts with rubber. I did the polyurethane trick with my tranny mount and noticed no new NVH, and my E36 BMW has semi solid mounts all around and I find it acceptable on the street. As with everything else on this car the PO didn't replace it unless it broke, so I guess it's to be expected. Either that or he did replace them, only with the crappy, cheap, aftermarket rubber mounts.

I'll probably swap them out in a few months, can't afford them right now with all the other repairs I have done recently. So close to having this car sorted out, what a good feeling
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pelican also sell a semi-solid mount that looks to be well-made -- lifetime guarantee, etc. No direct experience with it, but I was considering it for a replacement at one time.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I actually just looked at one of the mounts and it says "951 375 042 05 orange" on it. Above that it says"944 375 042 04 schwarz" and then to the right of all this it says "951 375 042 02 blau". It is literally colored orange on the cross-member side of the mount. They don't seem to be in too bad of shape, but I wonder if I should replace anyway. Hmmmm

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts