Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Build start of '89 951

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 AM
jjmudd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build start of '89 951

Just a little introduction as I am new to the 951 world and this forum.

John: "Hi, my name is John and I have been a 951 addict for about a year now."

Group: "Hi John"

Now that that is over....Last summer I bought a high mile '89 951 that had a new head (stock) from Lindsey Racing that had about 1000 miles on it. The car had about 145,000 miles on it. I had some airmiles saved up (the car was in Pennsylvania and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so I flew out and drove home. The car was 100 times better than I thought it was going to be for the price and the fellow I bought it from was fantastic and went above and beyond to make the transaction a smooth one. My original plan for the car was to drive it until it popped and drop in an LS1 as some folks have been known to do but after driving it last summer I have decided to go another direction. Here is what is about to go into and onto the 951:

1. Billet fuel rail with remote regulator and damper (Lindsey Racing)

2. Dual Port Wastegate (Lindsey Racing)

3. Older MAF2 (Lindsey Racing)

4. Spec 2 clutch and lightened flywheel with rear main seal

5, 4" Exhaust (Lindsey Racing)

6. O2 sensor and gauge, boost gauge, manual boost control

7. New ignition wires (Lindsey Racing)

8. Stage 1 intercooler (Lindsey Racing)

9. Lindsey Racing Chip

10. short shift kit (LR)

11. 3 piece cross member (LR)

12. #53 stage 3 turbo (LR) dry

13. 55lbs Siemens flow tested injectors (LR)

14. New plug wires (LR)

15. knock sensor wire (LR)

16. billet blow off valve

17. MAF trap (LR)

18. Ultra Mount transmission mount. (LR)

19. Delrin front sway bar bushings (Racers Edge)

20. Complete front seal kit (Paragon)

21. Con rod bearings (Paragon)

22. front tow hook (no real reason, just thought it looked cool!!) (Paragon)

23. Mafterburner tuner

Who has a similar beast and what can I expect from this type of gear?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 AM
xboostx
Advanced

Im very new here myself But welcome
Old 06-05-2010, 01:58 AM
jjmudd
Advanced

I saw the thread of your build. Your car looks like it is going to be stunning.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:09 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Welcome. Please post some pictures of your car.

Is the car going to be street only, street/track, or track only?

Your list looks pretty thorough, but I see a few things to consider. First of all, I don't see a wideband O2 sensor/gauge on the list, you'll need one of those with all the mods you're planning. Also, SFR does a similar intercooler mod to Lindsey's but at a considerably better price. And the wastegate after paying core charges and everything is going to run you a bit more than a Tial 38 or MVS with adapter plates. There is some argument over which is better, but it is indisputable that the Tials are much lighter.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:43 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey John, there is a small but very friendly group of 951 guys in Edmonton, JustinL, AE1969 and myself are on Rennlist, pretty sure some of the other guys are as well, just can't remember their online names. Drop a line if you'd like to chat.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 PM
jjmudd
Advanced

Hey, perfect guys! I'll get some pic.s up soon. I do have a wide band O2 and gauge (see point 6) and as for the Tial vs LR stuff....already purchased! lol The gear on the list is sitting in various places in the garage waiting their turn. I opted for the LR stuff for a couple of reasons. One, I bought a bunch of gear off a fellow from here a number of months ago (fuel rail, maf, plug wires, mafterburner, injectors) all of which was NIB except for the older MAF2 (which looks like new). The rest I bought to match up with the gear I now had and felt that I didn't wont nor was smart enough to mix and match bits and pieces and because I felt the experience of Dave and his crew would pay for itself tenfold.

@ chrenan--I have seen a few 944's zipping around town. I was in Eurasia the other day and saw a car, (black '89 951 with cream interior) on the hoist getting a new turbo, the size of dinner plate put in it!! lol My car will be 95% street and 5% auto-cross and maybe a few track days with the Northern Alberta Sports Car Club or DE days with the PCA. Thanks for the invite to chat...I may take you up on it as we start tearing into the car. I am hoping to have it all together by the end of June.....but that may be a little optimistic as my son and I both started kart racing this year as well and we have two races this month that will eat up two weekends!!! What a freakin' hoot!!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
jjmudd
Advanced

Hate to plead ignorance, but I tried to "upload" a photo and was told I do not have those privileges yet. Anyone care to explain....number of posts?......doing it wrong?......

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number of posts...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jjmudd
Just a little introduction as I am new to the 951 world and this forum. "Hi, my name is John and I have been a 951 addict for about a year now."
Hi John and welcome to RL! There are tons of people who you can learn from, so post away!

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Number of posts...
Are you sure about that one?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Hi John and welcome to RL! There are tons of people who you can learn from, so post away!

Are you sure about that one?

I thought so... but imagine I am wrong again?

Must be thinking of a different forum...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:28 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

I usually upload my photos to a dedicated album site like photobucket, then just paste the link here, no privelages required.

If you haven't tried the PCA autocross I highly reccomend it. Its much faster than I expected, deep into 4th on one section, more like a mini road course on the runway than an autocross. I've been out this summer twice with Justin's encouragement as he's been a regular for years.

Send me a pm if you have any questions when the car goes back together, mine isn't heavily modified, but I've done the turbo, clutch, suspension, brakes, steering, coolant and vacuum lines, so I have a rough idea where things fit.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 PM
jjmudd
Advanced

Thanks again all! Chrenan, I will definately be pm'ing you. I think I will do all the vacuum lines as well and hit the Base with you too. My neighbor races a 450 hp Sunbeam Tiger and drives his '08 911 Turbo for casual outings. He is also an instructor for the Northern Alberta Sports Car Club and I have been thinking about doing their drivers course and getting licensed, just for ****s and giggles.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:42 PM
jjmudd
Advanced

Both he and his kid (Datsun 510) were running in the vintage class at the Edmonton Indy last summer and will be out there again this year. The boy has a new 510 that looks really mean and should surprise some of the higher powered cars.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Would be nice to see another 951 out on track. I can't image what 450 hp in a Tiger must be like, that's obscene! When I was a kid in the early 80s my Dad had a Datsun 710, funny to think that generation of Datsuns are now sought after. I lusted for a 951 as a kid, my Dad's Datsun, not so much...
Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Hi John,

I was actually part of Al's pit crew at the indy last year in the garage next to the sunbeam. Al's got the white 944 with and LS1.
I have a lot of those parts you are putting on, so if you need advice or help, just let me know. As for running the PCA autocross, you will find that even a stock car will be strong enough for a while. It really is not like a typical autocross where you have to be in 2nd all the time. This one is much more open and FAST! We need some more 951 representation, show that these cars can run with the big boys.

What class karts are you running, rotax 125? I've got an ICC shifter in my garage gathering dust , but what fun it is to drive.

Quick Reply: Build start of '89 951