Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Build start of '89 951

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 PM
jjmudd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin,
I spoke with you last year. Al seemed like he was still trying to get his car sorted. I thought it would have been much quicker than it was. If I remember correctly you had solid bushings in your car and most of the gear I am about to install. As for the karting thing, I am running a CRG Road Rebel in Rotax Masters (fat/old) and my son is running a 5.5 Honda in Junior One (he is 9) but I think I might put him in a Jr. Rotax next year as he really seems to dig it. There has been a rebirth of the E.D.K.R.A. (Edmonton District Kart Racing Association) in the last coupe of years. They used to race out of Stratotech but have since gone back out to Warburg (the municipality sold them a huge parcel of land for next to nothing) and we are paving a new ASN certified track this summer that will be able to house a shifter kart and we should see real growth in the Rotax classes with the new track. Our first club race of the season saw more than 50 entries in the various classes on the old track!! It was really a blast. The club President is Kevin Dowler, an ex Cascar/Nascar driver. He has three kids involved in karting and has been instrumental in growing the sport in Edmonton. Really a great bunch of guys.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
jjmudd
Advanced

O.K. The build has finally started! The motor is out and the front seals are done! I am really excited about getting this thing running for next summer! Justin and Chernan and any other Edmonton 951 guys, I will be seeking your expertise soon! The turbo is oil only, so some of the H2O cooling lines are not needed.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your build list looks good. Why the dry turbo though? I would at least get a wet one, just because it reduces wear and tear on it.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 AM
jjmudd
Advanced

Dave at Lindsey Racing sold me on the idea. He talked about weight savings among other things and mentioned that most turbos that Porsche makes are oil cooled, in fact, if I remember correctly, he said the only water cooled turbo was in the 951.

Last edited by jjmudd; 11-03-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you've got a nice list there,
have a look at SFR, they have a nice intercooler kit.
and Pauer Tuning have real good street turbos
Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmudd
Dave at Lindsey Racing sold me on the idea. He talked about weight savings among other things and mentioned that most turbos that Porsche makes are oil cooled, in fact, if I remember correctly, he said the only water cooled turbo was in the 951.
Makes sense… then additional oil cooling should be recommended too.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:33 AM
George D
Drifting

Well, the 951 and 968TS were the only cars back in the late 80's that had radiators from Porsche. They truly didn't have a reliable choice for plumbing a water jacket KKK. Old school KKK turbo 911 cars that were not driven properly and then stored for the winter without service, had turbo longevity issues.

Twenty years later, we have better technology, better oils, and better, well everything technology-wise is better. Hell, even the new shaved women seem to look better...better shavers....?

I don't run water jacket turbos anymore. Deleting an elec pump and plumbing isn't such a bad idea. You'll get many miles from the new turbos available for our cars. Water cooled or not. With this said, you may have to allow proper cool down time when running a "dry" wet oiled turbo, but then again you probably don't need to cool down anything other than your motor and it's components after a hard track run. Dry turbos are wet as hell where it matters, with much better lube than water where it counts.

Ford, with their new EcoBoost V6, with development leader, Michael Shelby, does have water jackets in their turbos.

Here is a post: Shelby's engineering team spent extra time on these seemingly simple hoses to promote thermal siphoning within them. That's a process in which boiling water inside the turbos acts as a pump to draw cooler water in, which in turn prevents thermal soak. You don't honestly expect soccer moms in Flexes to sit in the garage for a few minutes so that the turbochargers can cool, do you?

So, if you don't want to install a turbo timer, or cruise off boost towards your destination, continue to utilize water in your turbos if you expect the turbo to last over 200K. Ford expects all parts on their new turbo motors to last as long as the cars and motors.

Synthetic and semi-synthetic oils are much better than what we had back in 1986 to 1989 and there is a new standard for oils coming out next year. Like I stated, technology is getting better.

The LR folks have always been kind when I needed parts. They wouldn't sell you something that they didn't feel worthy of your car. Know they don't want issues. They spend enough time on the phone making cheap chips work with cars needing thousands of money getting up to snuff.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:37 AM
George D
Drifting

I had a 2.5 car with your mods, but used the Super 75 that has probably been replaced. I hit 427hp at 23lbs boost using pump 100 octane. All parts were from LR.

Just a little introduction as I am new to the 951 world and this forum.

John: "Hi, my name is John and I have been a 951 addict for about a year now."

Group: "Hi John"

Now that that is over....Last summer I bought a high mile '89 951 that had a new head (stock) from Lindsey Racing that had about 1000 miles on it. The car had about 145,000 miles on it. I had some airmiles saved up (the car was in Pennsylvania and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so I flew out and drove home. The car was 100 times better than I thought it was going to be for the price and the fellow I bought it from was fantastic and went above and beyond to make the transaction a smooth one. My original plan for the car was to drive it until it popped and drop in an LS1 as some folks have been known to do but after driving it last summer I have decided to go another direction. Here is what is about to go into and onto the 951:

1. Billet fuel rail with remote regulator and damper (Lindsey Racing)

2. Dual Port Wastegate (Lindsey Racing)

3. Older MAF2 (Lindsey Racing)

4. Spec 2 clutch and lightened flywheel with rear main seal

5, 4" Exhaust (Lindsey Racing)

6. O2 sensor and gauge, boost gauge, manual boost control

7. New ignition wires (Lindsey Racing)

8. Stage 1 intercooler (Lindsey Racing)

9. Lindsey Racing Chip

10. short shift kit (LR)

11. 3 piece cross member (LR)

12. #53 stage 3 turbo (LR) dry

13. 55lbs Siemens flow tested injectors (LR)

14. New plug wires (LR)

15. knock sensor wire (LR)

16. billet blow off valve

17. MAF trap (LR)

18. Ultra Mount transmission mount. (LR)

19. Delrin front sway bar bushings (Racers Edge)

20. Complete front seal kit (Paragon)

21. Con rod bearings (Paragon)

22. front tow hook (no real reason, just thought it looked cool!!) (Paragon)

23. Mafterburner tuner

Who has a similar beast and what can I expect from this type of gear?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 AM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

I have a similar beast with the following modifications:

Quad M MAF
55# Injectors
3.0 BAR Fuel Pressure Regulator
Power Perfect Piggyback
61-1 HIFI Turbocharger
Dual Port Wastegate
Manual Boost Control
WBO2
Full 3" Exhaust, Cat Delete, Atmospheric Dump from Wastegate
and a few other odds and ends...

It is a very fun car at 15lbs of boost.

Next comes the LR Stage 1 head (getting sent for more work) and 83# injectors. If your planning on running big power Id recommend a larger turbocharger than the 53. The 61 has been great. Id also recommend a Vitesse MAF... Just my $0.02

Cheers on the project
Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please post pics
Old 11-03-2010, 11:32 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

O.K. The build has finally started! The motor is out and the front seals are done! I am really excited about getting this thing running for next summer! Justin and Chernan and any other Edmonton 951 guys, I will be seeking your expertise soon! The turbo is oil only, so some of the H2O cooling lines are not needed.
Well done, glad to see this is moving forward!

I swapped in a stock rebuilt turbo a few years back, but when I eventually do a full overhaul of the engine, I'll go the same route as you. Oil turbo will get rid of some cooling lines and the electric pump. Simplicity is great. If I didn't think so I wouldn't have deleted my AC and power steering. I'd also go as far as doing whatever internal modifications and balancing is required to delete the balance shafts.

Can't wait to see some pictures of the progress, hope you'll be joining us at some PCA autocrosses in the spring.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:05 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Great to hear. Let me know if you need anything. My car is probably going away for the winter now that November has arrived. Last time I took it out of the garage the cold clutch shook the cat back section of my exhaust off! I think I'm done modding for a while, the cost of more speed is starting to go exponential to decrease in lap times. The next job is to dial in the setup a bit further and fend off Dan if he comes back with his 3L next year.

We need some more vintage metal out at the autocrosses to keep the new 911s at bay
Old 11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
jjmudd
Advanced

@951saga---I have a KISS oil cooler now added to the list to help with the cooling
@George D---I went with the smaller turbo because the car will be primarily a street car and I wanted to keep the linear feel of the 26-8. If this motor ever grenades I will build a track car with an LS motor.
@The E-Town boys----I am really looking forward to getting out there with you. My son and I had such a great time kart racing this year on the new track EDKRA built out at Warburg that I can't wait to try and translate some of the skills learned on the kart track to the cones!!

Last edited by jjmudd; 06-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey there. Welcome. Your list is very similar to my LR build. If you looking for 4 inch LR exhaust I have a brand new 4 inch in my basement went with 5 inch instead.

If you ever head to Calgary shoot me an e-mail.

Jason

Just a little introduction as I am new to the 951 world and this forum.

John: "Hi, my name is John and I have been a 951 addict for about a year now."

Group: "Hi John"

Now that that is over....Last summer I bought a high mile '89 951 that had a new head (stock) from Lindsey Racing that had about 1000 miles on it. The car had about 145,000 miles on it. I had some airmiles saved up (the car was in Pennsylvania and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so I flew out and drove home. The car was 100 times better than I thought it was going to be for the price and the fellow I bought it from was fantastic and went above and beyond to make the transaction a smooth one. My original plan for the car was to drive it until it popped and drop in an LS1 as some folks have been known to do but after driving it last summer I have decided to go another direction. Here is what is about to go into and onto the 951:

1. Billet fuel rail with remote regulator and damper (Lindsey Racing)

2. Dual Port Wastegate (Lindsey Racing)

3. Older MAF2 (Lindsey Racing)

4. Spec 2 clutch and lightened flywheel with rear main seal

5, 4" Exhaust (Lindsey Racing)

6. O2 sensor and gauge, boost gauge, manual boost control

7. New ignition wires (Lindsey Racing)

8. Stage 1 intercooler (Lindsey Racing)

9. Lindsey Racing Chip

10. short shift kit (LR)

11. 3 piece cross member (LR)

12. #53 stage 3 turbo (LR) dry

13. 55lbs Siemens flow tested injectors (LR)

14. New plug wires (LR)

15. knock sensor wire (LR)

16. billet blow off valve

17. MAF trap (LR)

18. Ultra Mount transmission mount. (LR)

19. Delrin front sway bar bushings (Racers Edge)

20. Complete front seal kit (Paragon)

21. Con rod bearings (Paragon)

22. front tow hook (no real reason, just thought it looked cool!!) (Paragon)

23. Mafterburner tuner

Who has a similar beast and what can I expect from this type of gear?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

That's better, pictures!

Quick Reply: Build start of '89 951