Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AC delete or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

My S2 has AC... the AC on these cars is a POS.
- it isn't effective. My back sweats real bad in hot days.
- it robs an awful lot of power from the engine. Switching it on when cruising at 4000rpm will feel like opening a parachute at the back
- it takes an awful lot of space in the engine bay, especially on a turbo.

I ditched it on the turbo because :
- all of the above
- the real hot period around here represents perhaps 10% of the year. At 150lbs and 6.3ft I'm not really senstive to heat anyway, unlike fatboy marcoturbo
- why would one want to drive a modified 951 in hot weather when it will perform better and more enjoyable for the remaining 90% of the year?
- the extra space gained in the engine bay makes life MUCH easier (my turbo has a 4" intake) and I mounted the catch can below the hard pipe in place of the alternator.
- AC condenser gone means better cooling for the rad
- weight savings

I can only feel the pain of our friends in the US who can't live without AC.

Last edited by Thom; 06-08-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thom
- it isn't effective. My back sweats real bad when I'm in hot gays.
- it robs an awful lot of power from the engine. Switching it on when cruising at 4000rpm will feel like opening a parachute at the back, without a man push!

- all of the above
- the real hot period around here represents perhaps 10% of the year. At 150lbs and 6.3ft I'm not really senstive to heat anyway, unlike fatboy marcoturbo with whom I hAVE A MAD MAN CRUSH
!
- why would one want to drive a modified 951 in hot weather when it will perform better and more enjoyable for the remaining 90% of the year, THOUGH SOME OF YOU DRIVE ONE DAYLY?
- the extra space gained in the engine bay makes life MUCH easier (my turbo has a 4" intake) and I mounted the catch can below the hard pipe in place of the alternator, BECAUSE i love hard PIPE!
- AC condenser gone means better cooling for the rad waiter boy in my car!
- weight savings...I hate fat boys!

Now we totally understand you!

Do you live north or south of Paris?

There is a reason that they run the TDF in July. It's your only warm month!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

BTWQ you REALLY should read my edit closely!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Thom
Race Car

ehall, you are such a funny guy... Have you spent the night doing ******** to a clown?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What straight guy could ever possibly concoct such a scenario?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
- it isn't effective. My back sweats real bad in hot days.
- it robs an awful lot of power from the engine. Switching it on when cruising at 4000rpm will feel like opening a parachute at the back

- all of the above
- the real hot period around here represents perhaps 10% of the year. At 150lbs and 6.3ft I'm not really senstive to heat anyway, unlike fatboy marcoturbo
- why would one want to drive a modified 951 in hot weather when it will perform better and more enjoyable for the remaining 90% of the year?
- the extra space gained in the engine bay makes life MUCH easier (my turbo has a 4" intake) and I mounted the catch can below the hard pipe in place of the alternator.
- AC condenser gone means better cooling for the rad
- weight savings

What about the wife or significant other factor? She wants AC in the car if she is riding in it. She also wields the power to make life hell on any particular car. Currently, she loves my 951 and will do summer road trips with me in it. Why would I give her a reason not to like it or want to ride in it? My wife is serious too about shunning cars (poor, poor 1g DSM turbo AWD). So, my 951 has AC and will continue to have AC.

As I have gotten older and realize that I drive pretty much only on the street, I do not want a gutted car. Weight savings mean nothing to me when I hear rocks pinging off the body in a car and have to look at a skeleton interior. If you race, I understand, if you don't, why? Your friends only care for 10-15 minutes how fast your car is. YOU have to live with the droning exhausts, modification compromises, and etc. To me Porsche is the epitome of sport, comfort, and utility. Why would I want to change that balance if I am not racing?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Thom
Race Car

Each to their own - AC has always made me feel sick and I'm happier without it than with it, even if the sun is shining hard.

Quick Reply: AC delete or repair?