Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Refinishing Big Reds

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Refinishing Big Reds

I took a day off yesterday to get some stuff done on my car. Spent most of the day just stripping the paint off of a pair of big reds (see pic). I plan to repaint them black with VHT paint. Couple questions I have...

Where is a good place to get the "PORSCHE" decals for these? I found a few listed on eBay that are described as high temp decals and look good, but I was curious if anyone here has tried them and how they worked out.

Is it recommended to clear coat over the VHT paint (and decals)? Or would that defeat the purpose of a high themp paint job?

Any idea if Brembo used lead-based paint? I was just about done, when my wife walked into the garage and saw me with a dremel and a cloud of red dust and said, "Put on a dust mask!" I've been vomitting blood all night... just kidding. But seriously, now I'm paranoid, anybody know if they used lead-based paint?
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First I would put a blotch of paint where you want it to say Porsche.
Then put the decal over the blotch of paint
Then paint with the VHT
Remove decal
Then clear over everything
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Pick up some Aircraft Remover by Klean Strip.
You will want to wear gloves and stay away from the fumes but easy to use. Put it on with a paint brush, wait a few minutes and wash/brush off. Strips them down to bare metal. I refinished mine a few years back and they still look great, i post a thread about it if you search under my user name.
Good luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I used high temp decals, then 2 coats of VHT high temp clear over the top - good to go.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
First I would put a blotch of paint where you want it to say Porsche.
Then put the decal over the blotch of paint
Then paint with the VHT
Remove decal
Then clear over everything
Why the blotch of paint under the Porsche decal? Why not just paint the whole thing with VHT and put the decal on that and clear over everything?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

now I'm paranoid, anybody know if they used lead-based paint
Brembo painted them with read powdercoat.Then they added Porsche script and painted them again with clear powder coat. IMHO powder coat does not contain lead. I would not use VHT or any similar paint, just have them powder coated. It's cheap.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have to type up my procedure at a better time and not about to go to sleep.

But in short, yes the eBay decals work. Yes I would use the 500* engine emanel (not the VHT header paint. That stuff never has a true color). If you compare the high heat engine paint to the caliper paint, the ONLY difference is the "brake dust resistant" wording. They're literally the same thing though.

I first media blasted my calipers, which I STRONGLY advise you do as well. It's cheap (I paid $30 for 4 calipers) and it will remove any brake fluid residue along with brake dust that your dremel can not reach. Plus...what's your time worth? It's a no brainer to have them blasted.

I then shot a few coats of paint on the calipers after taping off the pistons and wiping the calipers down with lacquer thinner (let it dry completely). Your best bet is to make a home made contraption so the calipers can be suspended and spray entirely at once. But definitely do at least 2 thick coats (it's hard to get the engine enamel to run).

Let cure for a day, then apply decals firmly. Finally, shoot the calipers with high heat clear and let dry. Then give another coat of clear. Be careful with each step and make sure the paint has had 24 hours to cure between each round. I had to sand down and reshoot a portion of a caliper I did. Another I was able to save (clear reacted with the paint).

Oh, also make sure you push the pistons back in BEFORE you paint. Don't make the same dumbass mistake I did and try to do it afterwords. I've had my calipers on my car for a while now and everything is holding up perfectly! I'll try to post some pictures later.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM
etiennekuh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
I may have to type up my procedure at a better time and not about to go to sleep.

But in short, yes the eBay decals work. Yes I would use the 500* engine emanel (not the VHT header paint. That stuff never has a true color). If you compare the high heat engine paint to the caliper paint, the ONLY difference is the "brake dust resistant" wording. They're literally the same thing though.

I first media blasted my calipers, which I STRONGLY advise you do as well. It's cheap (I paid $30 for 4 calipers) and it will remove any brake fluid residue along with brake dust that your dremel can not reach. Plus...what's your time worth? It's a no brainer to have them blasted.

I then shot a few coats of paint on the calipers after taping off the pistons and wiping the calipers down with lacquer thinner (let it dry completely). Your best bet is to make a home made contraption so the calipers can be suspended and spray entirely at once. But definitely do at least 2 thick coats (it's hard to get the engine enamel to run).

Let cure for a day, then apply decals firmly. Finally, shoot the calipers with high heat clear and let dry. Then give another coat of clear. Be careful with each step and make sure the paint has had 24 hours to cure between each round. I had to sand down and reshoot a portion of a caliper I did. Another I was able to save (clear reacted with the paint).

Oh, also make sure you push the pistons back in BEFORE you paint. Don't make the same dumbass mistake I did and try to do it afterwords. I've had my calipers on my car for a while now and everything is holding up perfectly! I'll try to post some pictures later.
Nice, so you don't disassemble the whole caliper before sandblasting? The pistons stay in? (I have some M030 calipers that need to be repainted)

Etienne
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
If you compare the high heat engine paint to the caliper paint, the ONLY difference is the "brake dust resistant" wording. They're literally the same thing though.

But definitely do at least 2 thick coats (it's hard to get the engine enamel to run).
Interesting - I thought the engine stuff was 500 and the calipers 900. Also I had a different experience - I thought the vht caliper paint was thin/runny. I did 7 coats of color, applied decals, and 2 did coats of clear.

This pic was one year later, they still look the same:

Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Look beautiful Sam. The stuff I bought is VHT caliper paint. I'll take a look at the temp rating on it, but I thought it was higher than the engine enamel.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Look beautiful Sam. The stuff I bought is VHT caliper paint. I'll take a look at the temp rating on it, but I thought it was higher than the engine enamel.
VHT Caliper paint shows 900 degrees on the can...i used a satin black with a couple coats of clear.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used "Corso Traffico" powder for these GT3 CUP calipers i just rebuilt. Nice color

Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vt951
I took a day off yesterday to get some stuff done on my car. Spent most of the day just stripping the paint off of a pair of big reds (see pic). I plan to repaint them black with VHT paint. Couple questions I have...

Where is a good place to get the "PORSCHE" decals for these? I found a few listed on eBay that are described as high temp decals and look good, but I was curious if anyone here has tried them and how they worked out.

Is it recommended to clear coat over the VHT paint (and decals)? Or would that defeat the purpose of a high themp paint job?

Any idea if Brembo used lead-based paint? I was just about done, when my wife walked into the garage and saw me with a dremel and a cloud of red dust and said, "Put on a dust mask!" I've been vomitting blood all night... just kidding. But seriously, now I'm paranoid, anybody know if they used lead-based paint?
There is VERY LITTLE probability that a lead based paint was used. The Europeans banned crap like tha long before the U.S. did. That doesn't mean the what you ingested was good for you. What the Hell were you thinking?
Anyway, I hope the symptoms pass quickly.
There's some real good advice here. I'd do it the way Olli did. He does a lot of brake stuff. he knows what he's doing.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree Olli, very nice colour!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Why settle for black, red or yellow…..plaid is fast!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Refinishing Big Reds