Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF Kits Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010 | 10:38 AM
hunterdasch
Advanced

Default MAF Kits Question

I had an 87 944 Turbo a few years ago that I sold in 2005. I was running an Autothority MAF kit, test pipe, rebuilt turbo, adjustable FPR.

Recently I picked up an 88 Turbo S and want to do a MAF. I have noticed many people are very happy with Vitesse. I live about 10 miles from Autothority.

What are the best MAF set ups now? I want to keep the stock turbo and just do the exhaust, wastegate and MAF kit for now. I have a adj FPR already installed.

I am basically looking for the most recent/best technology/easiest to use MAF or MAP?? kit... opinions? Suggestions?
Old 05-16-2010 | 11:15 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Vitesse.
Old 05-16-2010 | 11:16 AM
hunterdasch
Advanced

what is the technology difference between vitesse and autothority?
Old 05-16-2010 | 11:23 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Everything! The Vitesse MAF's are sized properly and they have the software that does a true AFM to MAF swap. The new v flex software runs a MAP sensor so the DME can do knock sensing boost retard and you can also run E-85. With the SMT6 you can do the fine tuning to dial in the A/F as well.

The Autothority product hasn't changed in what, 20 years?
Old 05-16-2010 | 11:51 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

You might want to check out what's happening with MAP/stand-alone technology. There are some people selling complete kits (including a new wiring harness) for decent prices.
Old 05-16-2010 | 12:29 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by docwyte
The new v flex software runs a MAP sensor so the DME can do knock sensing boost retard
With the Vitesse kit the factory knock control is disabled.
One of the function of the MAP sensor is to control ignition advance in function of boost on a table the user doesn't have access to in the standard kit (I assume this access is unlocked when using the optional wasted spark kit?).

Not sure I understand why the Vitesse kit doesn't offer knock control considering all the other very interesting functions it offers. It may be the only vital function it misses IMO.

I know of only one plug & play kit that retains the factory knock control yet allows to use a peak boost of 1.2 bar (~18psi), with or without MAF. I don't think it is sold by a Rennlist sponsor though.

To answer your original question : how long do you plan to keep the original turbo?
The Vitesse MAF kit is great in that it will work with any turbo without having to do any eprom reflash/replacement and you can do your tuning on your own when you have figured out how it all works - John is always very helpful and patient with his customers.

However if you plan to keep the turbo for long you shouldn't need to further tune the fueling after the first time you get it right so a chipset coupled with a SciVision MAF will be easier an quicker to install.
That the SciVision doesn't work as a "true" MAF doesn't matter IMO, as in the end you want firstly a good AFR under any throttle condition, and how to get there doesn't really matter in pragmatic, real life conditions.
Old 05-16-2010 | 01:03 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Where do you get your information from???? Your information is incorrect! We do not disable knock control!

NONE of the Vitesse products (AFM chip, MAF, PiggyBack,..) alters the factory knock control! Factory knock control RMAINS in effect as it was designed originally. The Knock control is handled via the KLR which we do not touch!.
We suggest you keep the factory KLR chip in place to keep the knock control intact.

Originally Posted by Thom
With the Vitesse kit the factory knock control is disabled.
One of the function of the MAP sensor is to control ignition advance in function of boost on a table the user doesn't have access to in the standard kit (I assume this access is unlocked when using the optional wasted spark kit?).

Not sure I understand why the Vitesse kit doesn't offer knock control considering all the other very interesting functions it offers. It may be the only vital function it misses IMO.

I know of only one plug & play kit that retains the factory knock control yet allows to use a peak boost of 1.2 bar (~18psi), with or without MAF. I don't think it is sold by a Rennlist sponsor though.
Old 05-16-2010 | 01:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The V-FLEX introduces actual boost (as in psi) to the DME. Now the DME can alter ignition based on actual boost. WIth the V-FLEX you can run pump gas, Race gas or E85.

Originally Posted by docwyte
The new v flex software runs a MAP sensor so the DME can do knock sensing boost retard and you can also run E-85.
Old 05-16-2010 | 01:13 PM
Thom
Race Car

John, what you are not saying is that your kit doesn't allow to control knock once a certain level of boost is reached, so regardless of how much timing the DME can pull, knock is not controlled.
Old 05-16-2010 | 01:13 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hunterdasch
what is the technology difference between vitesse and autothority?
The Vitesse offers many features not found elsewhere. You can find information Here!

In summary with the basic MAF we offer:
- TRUE MAF support. (consistent AFRs no matter what boost you run)
- Large injectors support
- Semi batch operation
- Dual maps for (pump gas or race gas).

We also offer the V-FLEX upgrade which allows:
- Ignition control based on actual boost
- Support to Pump gas, Race gas or E85
- Allow the user to set Rev limit and overboost protection

If you have any question, feel free to email me.
Old 05-16-2010 | 01:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Knock control is done via the KLR. It is a function of the KLR.
Knock can happen at any boost level. The KLR will pull timing to control knock. Under certain circumstances (too much boost for the fuel octane), no knock control system can save you.

Originally Posted by Thom
John, what you are not saying is that your kit doesn't allow to control knock once a certain level of boost is reached, so regardless of how much timing the DME can pull, knock is not controlled.
Old 05-16-2010 | 09:04 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Vitesse has a very loyal following, and John is always very helpful. I run a Lindsey racing MAF with a Mafterburner piggyback and it runs great. Vitesse is more "Plug and Play" by the sound of it.

My .02
Old 05-16-2010 | 10:13 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

I also run a LR maf and 951 MAX chip with a mafterburner. I would definitely go with Vitesse IMO. I'm saving my pennies for a Vitesse setup. Check John's feedback on the list. The stuff works and 1st class support.
Old 05-16-2010 | 10:19 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

John's customer support is outstanding as well. Excellent products and great customer service is a winning combination to me.
Old 05-17-2010 | 12:11 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

I'll vote Vitesse. I installed my own and I am by no means an auto mechanic and it was about as straightforward as you can get. The hardest part was just getting everything to fit in there - it's tight.

I also installed the piggyback which was equally as straightforward - great instructions...follow step by step and it's a no brainer.

John also helped me through a few issues that ended up being not at all related to his product but were issues that popped up after the MAF install (ground issues, etc...). He even re-flashed my chip for me which got my idle AFR's rock solid (I'm using the big 83#r's). My car idle's smoother than when it was stock.

I have a Tial 38mm and black **** controller now - I need to get the MAP installed...just got tired of working on the car for awhile and wanted to enjoy it. I set my boost for 14PSI at WOT in 3rd gear and run pump 93 octane (Shell whenever I can find it) and have had zero problems. My car runs like a top.

I still need to tune a little with the piggyback - I know I'm getting crappy MPG when I'm doing mostly stop-n-go in town...I get about 27-28mpg on the freeway when I'm holding at 14.7 steady. I would expect to get around 20-22 in town but I'm getting more like 18-19, so I need to make some adjustments in a few places.

Overall though - super happy with the product and support. I'm still running the stock turbo but I would LOVE to get my hands on one of his Stage 2's...

Quick Reply: MAF Kits Question