Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Remove a/c or not to remove. that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:50 AM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove a/c or not to remove. that is the question

i got a 1987 951. the a/c currently does not work. not sure why.

i never used the ac anyways when it was working but i'm not sure if i want to remove it completely.

can anyone tell me the amount of weight you can remove if you get rid of everything ac related?

is it possible to put the stuff back if necessary?

is it worth taking out?

also, do i need to buy an a/c delete bracket?

any input would be great
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

It's really StrekStrekStrekStreking heavy. The compressor alone is enough to bludgeon somebody to death without barely even trying.

However...where the hell do you live, or do you live somewhere that gets hot, but always drive another car when it does?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I took mine out after about 2 years of debate about 3 weeks ago. The a/c in my car did work, but leaked also. It was also never converted to 134a..still R12. I also NEVER use the a/c in this car as i feel like it puts far too much load on the engine. I took it out finally and i am happy i did. My condenser was so packed with sand i am amazed any air was making it to the radiator. Also for cars running larger turbo's and MAF's there is way more space to fit everything around the turbo. I live in NY and it does get hot during the summer; but hell, i work on boats in the engine room where its regularly 130 degrees during the summer..so being in the Porsche with no a/c is nothing to me.

Just the compressor, condenser, bracket and dryer i think come in probably around 25lbs max.

Yes you need to get an a/c delete bracket. Also you need the shorter belt.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a street car its best left alone unless you need to remove it for other reasons, ie its seized, making a noise, or you need the space. It costs money, time and effort to remove it and it only weighs 25lbs.

If your in that area of the motor for other reasons then that's the time to remove it.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLlamaGod
is it possible to put the stuff back if necessary?
i removed the compressor, condenser, and dryer from my car and ran without for a few years, but left the lines in the car. reinstalled the full system last july because its too hot out here in summer.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

thanks for the input. still on the fence a bit but leaning towards just getting rid of it since ive dealt with no a/c on almost all my cars.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I pulled mine, didn't work anyway, and up north here you don't really need it, I've got AC in my daily cars if its a really hot day. I love my engine bay without the AC and power steering, so much less crap in there.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Cheaper to take out and your alternator will thank you for it
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

if you take it out it will make turbo removal and installation much easier and you will have less hot things around your turbo and more space for air to flow around it. i'd get the parts and wait until i'm in there doing something else, then get rid of it.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove through So.Cal,AZ,NM,TX,LA, Miss,Al and Fl two years ago, in July, without ac. I will NEVER remove nor allow it to stop functioning EVER again. God what a baking nightmare!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, there is little to no benefit of removing it. The cars, alternators and turbo's run just fine with it in there. I only removed mine 2 years ago when they changed the regulations and allowed the condensers to be removed to allow better radiator cooling. This year they allowed the complete system removal and I needed to lose some weight. Untill the regs changed I had full functioning ac, I would even switch it on during gridding up and double yellows etc. I loved it. I even forgot to switch it off a few times once we got under green.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
Untill the regs changed I had full functioning ac, I would even switch it on during gridding up and double yellows etc. I loved it. I even forgot to switch it off a few times once we got under green.
Done that too...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 AM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

idk i would take it out if it was free but the bracket is so expensive for just taking out a/c

unless anyone has one for sale??
haha

Quick Reply: Remove a/c or not to remove. that is the question