Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebuilt Wastegates FS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a local machine shop that replaced the seats in 2 of my WGs. They were cracked and no amount of lapping would help.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of 9 units I started with, 1 had a cracked seat and another had a cracked diaphram. Those parts were disgarded and the remaining parts of each where matched to rebuild 8 functioning units.

I was lucky enough to have bought a lot of 6 wastegates that looked like there were removed when still young.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 AM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good thing for someone that doesn't want to go to a dual port. My only question is what can be expected of these diaphrams? I've alwasy heard they get hard and crack. These have been inspected, but would they likely fail at some point in the not too distant future? Just thinking out loud here. I know my waste gate is weak and needs replacement.

Josh
Old 05-21-2010, 10:31 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Team do you have a shop?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

No shop anymore, just my garage now.

Background...I used to race motocross at an amateur level and owned a suspension shop (CrossWorks) for about ten years servicing northeast clients ...until I got old and broken.

My take on the diaphragm is the material is a fiber weave (not rubber) and moves very little within the housing. Out of the 8 or so I inspected only 1 was cracked and I believe the reason to be excessive dirt within. The others lasted 20 yrs and still look good so I would guess they will last awhile longer.

To be clear, I have sold these only to recoup money invested from having the springs specially made and when the few I have left are gone that will be it. I enjoy the forum and appreciate the information I've gotten from everyone out there and I just wanted to contribute.

The DIY write-up is available to anyone that PMs me with their E-Mail address.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Wastegates FS