Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Knock Detection

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:17 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

motec is expensive for ecus .. for wide band knock sensing loging etc they not expensive they are completely f**#*# obscene.
there prices on that stuff is so out of touch of the market place ..
Old 04-29-2010, 04:37 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a J&S with my Motec. As the J&S is independant of the ECU it works fine although I have not really tested it other than to check it is working as I have not had the car on the road much since it fitted it.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I didn't know that Nick. Do you remember how much it cost? I thought it was meant to be run in conjunction with the standalone if you have one? Guess it has to be able to run in parallel too.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Yep, the J&S system is great. But hopefully this summer I'll dive into the KLR, and see if I can't add some real functionality...
Rogue = Legend......wait for it.......ary!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Pat there about $600.. he is running in conjunction with a standalone ... what are you talking about ??
i just wonder if it intercepts the crank trigger or the coil trigger ..
it would be make sense to to mess with the crank trigger as that is only 1 channel the coil can be 4 channels ..
Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

oh the J&S intercepts the coil signal and comes in multi channel
I have one of these little do dads .. wich has to be one of the cheapest things for the job .
http://www.turboxs.com/more_info.php?ID=212
it seems ok you load in low mid and high rpm buy pressing the button so it has a back ground noise reference plot .
but its so cheap I'm reluctant to blindly trust it and go winding up the pascals i will set an amp and head phones and sus it out ...
sorry guys not running so no proper review as yet
Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 PM
barks944
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant

Which pins are you referring to?

The pins I have highlighted there go over to the digital board in the DME. Its all ignition circuitry as far as I can tell. I think its also the RPM signal to the tacho.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ADV 15 is serial output. The uP cannot receive on that pin.
The other two are tach output, and ignition event signal to the KLR.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I didn't know that Nick. Do you remember how much it cost? I thought it was meant to be run in conjunction with the standalone if you have one? Guess it has to be able to run in parallel too.
Pat, the J&S backs the timing off for you independant of the standalone so you do not need it to feedback anything in to the ECU for it to perform active knock control. Obviously if the correct signal i.e. 0 - 5v was present you could feed it back into the Motec for closed loop control but the J&S does not have this signal output and as it does the knock control which backs off the timing on a per cylinder basis (so it says at least) then there is little else for the Motec to do. I have not tried this yet but I am assuming with that with the indicator guage that you can order with the J&S you could increase the timing on each cylinder in the Motec software until the J&S unit kicks in to retard the timing and therefor optimise the timing on each cylinder by backing it off until there is once again no knock. You would obviously then be running close to safety margins but in theory with the J&S always running in the background you would have it there as a safety net in case you ran into some bad fuel or something else was wrong causing unexpected knock. This is all theory as I have not had a chance to play with it yet but at the least I will have it running in the background as a slightly better version of the factory knock feature which is lost with the Motec. I know from some of the books I have read that the guy who built the doom car used exactly this J&S/ Motec combo to optimise the timing on some of his builds.

Quick Reply: Knock Detection