Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New owner... a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner... a few questions

Hey everyone. I'm the proud new owner of a Guards Red/Black int. 87 951. Sold my 03 Boxster S to get one. Dave Smith at www.smithmotorworks.com found it for me. I pick it up Saturday, so no pics yet. Basically stock, no major problems, just had belts and waterpump changed 2k mi ago. First question, it has the 17" turbo twists and needs new tires. What are the widest I can fit on those wheels without rubbing? Second, its going to need new seats in the next few months. What aftermarkets are people running that are decent for a street car? The drivers doesn't have to fold, just the passengers? Finally, where should I start looking for a streetable 4pt cage?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting direction you took there. I'd think that most would dump their 951 for a 986S, not the other way around.

What lead you to make that decision?

Congrats on the purchase BTW. I'm no good with wheel/tire width questions... but as for seats, my buddy has a set of Recaro SRD's in his 951 and they're great for the street. Very comfortable but supportive. Though depending on what you plan to do with the car (I see you asking about cages) they may not work. I don't believe they have the sub-belt hole for a harness. Might want to specify what you plan to do with the car to get better replies.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you bought Dav-it (944online) car from Birmingham. atleast it fits the description. I saw it in person looks really nice. Well taken care of inside and out.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Yep that's the car. Didn't know he was on here. I haven't seen it yet, Dave Smith went up to get it yesterday. He's going to give it a once over at his shop and then bring it over to me in Tallahassee this weekend.

The 986S is slow. And without spending lots of bucks, you can't make it much faster. Plus I wanted a 996 and settled on the 986S and was never happy with it. But then I rode in a 996C2 and wasn't really happy with it either. I come from a Mustang 5.0/4.6DOHC background and love how there are tons of projects and mods to get whatever power level you desire. I will miss having the top down in Panama City Beach in the summer, but everything else will make up for that.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:30 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by hobbstc
Yep that's the car. Didn't know he was on here. I haven't seen it yet, Dave Smith went up to get it yesterday. He's going to give it a once over at his shop and then bring it over to me in Tallahassee this weekend.

The 986S is slow. And without spending lots of bucks, you can't make it much faster. Plus I wanted a 996 and settled on the 986S and was never happy with it. But then I rode in a 996C2 and wasn't really happy with it either. I come from a Mustang 5.0/4.6DOHC background and love how there are tons of projects and mods to get whatever power level you desire. I will miss having the top down in Panama City Beach in the summer, but everything else will make up for that.
no he's not on here. Since you looking to mod you might as well get down to brass tax and give this guy a call http://www.vitesseracing.com/ also shop around with Lindsey Racing and SpeedForceRacing. All seem to be very reliable but do a search there's lots of happy campers in the Vitesse corner
Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 PM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Already been on those sites. Will be going Vitesse, but it might be a year or so until I go that far. Want to just drive it and appreciate it as is for a little bit. Going to fix the little things on it in the mean time.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:57 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on the car.

To answer your questions:

You can put in a pretty wide tire but I'd let the wheel width dictate the tire. 235 front and 255 rear or 255 front & 275 rear should fit assuming the wheel offset is correct.

As far as seats, I'd suggest finding a place that carries them or attend some car events to try out different makes and models. Each will fit you differently. A friend has some folding Recaros (not sure of model) in his 968 and they are supremely comfortable. Unless you're doing heavy track work, the stock seats (esp. the sport variety) are pretty good.

Oh, forgot the mention that you should get the belts retensioned soon.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:18 PM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I was hoping the 255/275 combo would work. The stock seats are coming apart at the seams, and i'd rather get some new ones than refurbish the old ones. I might look into newer stock Porsche seats. My 986S was pretty comfortable yet supportive. I'll ask Dave about the re-tension.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 PM
carlege
Drifting

you can put Boxster seats in the 944. They sit a little different but they will bolt up http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/for...25844;start=15
Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Congrats on the purchase...

Having a 996 myself I can relate to your comment. Different strokes for different folks.
I would recommend (without spending too much $$$) a basic Maxxx chip/3,0 FBR/MBC to feel the car wake up.

BTW...Ditto on the Recaro seats.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Thanks. Supposed to have an autothority 944 turbo stage 2 chip in it. We'll see when I get it home. What are the FBR and MBC? Not up on the acronyms yet.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:56 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) and manual boost controller (MBC)
Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by hobbstc
Thanks for the info. I was hoping the 255/275 combo would work. The stock seats are coming apart at the seams, and i'd rather get some new ones than refurbish the old ones. I might look into newer stock Porsche seats. My 986S was pretty comfortable yet supportive. I'll ask Dave about the re-tension.
You will be able to fit 255 up front or more, and 275 in rear. You could go more, but with most proper offsets and a decent alignment, this will work fine.

Do you have the sport seats?

You can fit all Porsche seats into our cars, takes a little work, but all 911 series seats fit. I have the factory seats for street driving, and install a Recaro racing seat when needed. Fairly easy switch, and the sliders work on both seats.

With the right mods, you will like your 951.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 AM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Yeah just picked it up today. Boost is addicting! I've gone from 2 v8's, to a flat 6, to now a turbo 4. Never saw that progression coming. I will go with 225 up front and 255 in the rear for now. I'll be looking for seats soon, at least drivers seat. Looking at Recaro and Corbeau, or maybe some sort of factory P-car seat if I can get a good deal used.

Quick Reply: New owner... a few questions