Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Headlight washer function

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight washer function

On my windscreen wiper/washer stalk, there is also the symbol for the headlight washer. This function has never operated on my car since I've owned it. I suspect the washer pump for the headlights needs replacing (although I haven't actually bothered to remove it to test it.)

Anyway, how is this supposed to function? Does it just switch the headlight washer pump on at the same time as the windscreen washer pump is activated, when pulling back the wiper/washer stalk? I assume this would only work with the headlights "on" and raised? Or is there a way the headlight washer can be activated but not the windscreen washer, and vice versa?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:02 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the headlights on, push on the stalk.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark,

Mine doesn't work either. I hear the pump is located under the washer bottle so a bit of a pain to remove.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the washer fluid reservior needs to be dropped out from below to access the pump.

I don't use mine much, but it's kind of neat how it works. It basically shoots water directly at the H4 headlights, which are flat-faced in the RoW version, and really knocks the dirt off them!

The washer reservoir for cars equipped with headlight washers is different from the regular reservoir, with fittings for the extra washer pump.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I tried to push the stalk forward. The lights dimmed a bit, but that's it -- I couldn't hear a pump sound (although it could be a little hard to hear in the cabin even with the engine off). I guess that suggests the pump might indeed need replacing. But at least I know how it's supposed to be activated. One step along in the troubleshooting.

I replaced my main windscreen washer pump last year -- it wasn't that hard to do, once you figured out how the pump fits into the moulded plastic reservoir. Maybe I'll replace the other pump at some stage, just for yucks -- can't honestly say I've really found myself in an "oh jeez! no headlight washers!" situation too often.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the part, it appears to be a inline pump. I havn't worked on one but you might be able to replace it without pulling the washer tank which is a pain at best.
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...key_1124223129
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Looking at the part, it appears to be a inline pump. I havn't worked on one but you might be able to replace it without pulling the washer tank which is a pain at best.
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...key_1124223129
IIRC, the headlight washer pump is recessed in the tank, so unless you remove the tank or happen to have the bumper cover off, I don't think it's possible.

To drop the tank, you just need to have the batwing and engine protection pan off the car.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off topic at best, but when I replaced the washer reservoir with the SPR catch can the res. was held on by two bolts, one to the fender bolts, one to the upper bracket. Lifted it right out--30 sec. total. Guess that means mine was replaced at one point, but it looked stock. Does that mean anything?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The tanks from 85.5 to 87 are all the same - the only difference is if the car has headlight washers, the tank is drilled for the pump. 88+ used different tanks. You don't have to take off the bumper cover or remove the tank to get at the pump, but you will have to remove the batwing if you still have it and possibly the brake air duct. Looking up from under the car, you should see the tank. The pump will be on the side in a molded indentation. Unplug the wire and push the pump straight up (watch your eyes, washer fluid in the eyes is bad). Pop the pump out of the recess and pull it down so you can remove the hose. You will probably have to transfer the black plastic ring off the old pump to the new pump. That ring keeps the pump snapped into the recess. It would be a good idea to replace the rubber seal on the tank while you have the pump out - it just pops out once the pump is removed.

Quick Reply: Headlight washer function