Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cool new toy...Infrared Thermography

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cool new toy...Infrared Thermography

Part of what I do to support the P-habit is building envelope diagnostics, which utilizes with some fun toys. One of those toys is thermographic camera. Thought you guys might find these interesting.

Engine bay at start up

Engine bay after a short run. Check out temp. differences and how cool the intercooler pipes are.

Cam cover

Coolant tank

Last edited by Fluidplay; 04-03-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

That's awesome! I want to see more! I'm surprised to see so much heat at the AFM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

I thought the same, but with the coolant tank right there it makes sense. Makes me think about installing a heat sheild between them..
Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool.
Got a shot after a WOT run?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best toys are the ones you don't have to pay for.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I got to use one this summer for a little bit: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...al-photos.html

Sadly another department needed it so I didn't get to take any more pics with it
Old 04-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Painted cam tower?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Yep, pic prior to install. Cam tower powder coated yellow, intake powder coated aluminum and headers, crossover, down pipe and exhaust thermal coated.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the intake pic, it appears that there is a decent amount of heat soak (to be expected) where it attaches to the block at the 4 runners.

With that in mind, it goes a long in saying that the best place for a H2O/Meth injection would be four individual mini nozzles placed halfway down each runner to maintain the cooler air, in lieu of larger singular jets located pre or post IC, or @ the TB location.

Now if I can just get the damn time.....
Old 04-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
With that in mind, it goes a long in saying that the best place for a H2O/Meth injection would be four individual mini nozzles placed halfway down each runner to maintain the cooler air, in lieu of larger singular jets located pre or post IC, or @ the TB location.

Could you somehow piggyback on the fuel injector locations??
Old 04-04-2010, 12:47 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm surprised that the inlet tube to the intercooler (from the turbo) appears to be as cool as the outlet tube. Guess that would look very different if it was under boost.

And thanks for posting, that's great stuff!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for those unfamiliar with thermography: It ain't as easy as it looks!

Be wary of the different emissivity of different surfaces, they can screw up your measurements big time. A shiny surface reading 200F could actually be at 280F or more. The pro's stick a bit of masking tape or special paint (matte black) on any surface they need an accurate temperature from.

Also, reflections are a big problem with thermography, you could actually be looking at yourself! Use a "scanning" technique (change of position and angle) to see if the hot spots stay in the same place.

Despite what you see in the movies, thermography doesn't work through walls, glass or perspex.

More info on www.flir.com

Best,
Mike
Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Looking at the intake pic, it appears that there is a decent amount of heat soak (to be expected) where it attaches to the block at the 4 runners.

IMHO the best place for nozzles is post intercooler, pre throttlebody and pre intake air temp sensor.

Only time that per runner injectors become safe (IMHO) is when you have lots of failsafes and warnings. In particular a failsafe that can detect one nozzle blocked.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Just for those unfamiliar with thermography: It ain't as easy as it looks!

Be wary of the different emissivity of different surfaces, they can screw up your measurements big time. A shiny surface reading 200F could actually be at 280F or more. The pro's stick a bit of masking tape or special paint (matte black) on any surface they need an accurate temperature from.

Also, reflections are a big problem with thermography, you could actually be looking at yourself! Use a "scanning" technique (change of position and angle) to see if the hot spots stay in the same place.

Despite what you see in the movies, thermography doesn't work through walls, glass or perspex.

More info on www.flir.com

Best,
Mike
Yep. I did some experimenting with this last summer. On a "cast finish" object at ~150F you would see a 15-20F difference between the normal finish, and a "sharpied" black surface.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

.Just wondering here but we use hand held laser thermometers in one of our digital printing processes as a back up to the built in infrared thermocouple controls. I think I'll borrow one tomorrow and run out to my car after driving in. Wonder how that will work? Only measure a very small spot on one part, but of course has to be on the surface and visible. Hummmm

Quick Reply: Cool new toy...Infrared Thermography