Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tie rod end stud just spins?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Tie rod end stud just spins?

Have you guys ever heard of the stud that comes up from the grease boot on the tie rod just spinning in place ? I was able to get off the lock nut that sits on top but it took some improvising... I used a air wrench on the nut and held the stud with a cushioned vice grip .... There goes 30.00 bucks

Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is actually nothing to keep it from spinning , if you are installing a new one just push it hard in to the spindle so it won't spin in the tie rod casting and or use your impact to tighten up while holding tight in to the spindle. I have taken a jack and ever so lightly held it in to the spindle while putting the nut on so the friction of it being in the spindle will let you tighten.

hope this helps.

Clifton
Old 04-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

More evidence of same here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...lp-please.html
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

There is actually nothing to keep it from spinning , if you are installing a new one just push it hard in to the spindle so it won't spin in the tie rod casting and or use your impact to tighten up while holding tight in to the spindle. I have taken a jack and ever so lightly held it in to the spindle while putting the nut on so the friction of it being in the spindle will let you tighten.

hope this helps.

Clifton
OK, so its not broken? Now that I got it off, when it comes to putting it back on the only thing that is going to keep it from spinning, is putting pressure on the tie rod stud via the spindle? I actually tried that when removing it, but I really wasn't able to" pinch" it much as all that was left was the spindle and the tie rod ( at least enough to stop it from spinning with the nut) So next time, I will leave the hub on. that should add some weight ... I gotta tell ya, with this being a lock nut, it's going to be real interesting to see if this will go back on the tie rod stud...
OK, just to recap, ALL these tie rod studs just spin ? So the tie rod stud is not broken or stripped?
Thanks Clifton

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thanks Bud for the thread ..
Best regards guys
Ed
Old 04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, they are supposed to spin. Same with ball joints.

See how the stud is tapered, wider at the bottom than on the top? When you re install it, that taper keeps it from spinning (or should).
Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
Correct, they are supposed to spin. Same with ball joints.

See how the stud is tapered, wider at the bottom than on the top? When you re install it, that taper keeps it from spinning (or should).
Great news
Thanks Brian
Ed

Quick Reply: Tie rod end stud just spins?