Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why a MAF....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Euro951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why a MAF....

One of my old projects used Accel DFI with a 2 bar Map sensor. I did my own tunning and had a car which ran great at only 8-10lbs of boost. No sensor in the intake path to restrict air flow, just a nice map sensor close to the intake manifold.

Why not use a AFC Neo with a map sensor on a 944 turbo? This would make for a much cleaner setup. For a car with minimal mods running the stock turbo I think this setup could make good power. How come we havn't seen more of this? Who is going to try it first.....
Old 03-30-2010, 05:29 PM
carlege
Drifting

because lindsey and Vintesse dont sell a kit... Thats why you dont see it as often. Tuning requires you actually know what your doing so its a little more complicated then plug and play.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be using a Map sensor on my 3.0L setup. Im surprised it isn't more common also. I know broadfoot used to use map sensors on a lot of their setups
Old 03-30-2010, 06:56 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

IIRC Guru used to offer a MAP setup. Rogue_Ant uses a MAP setup, and I believe Sid does too.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

Vitesse with vflex software uses a MAP as well a boost solenoid and other goodies so the stock DME can adjust for knock and act like an electronic boost controller. Pretty impressive...
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because a map enables use of a bov and the rennlist frowns upon such things of course
Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
IIRC Guru used to offer a MAP setup. Rogue_Ant uses a MAP setup, and I believe Sid does too.
Well I used too.

Now I've finally re-written the stock code to truly understand a MAF sensor... No piggy-back, just straight MAF wired to the DME with my code changes.

I also use a 3bar MAP sensor for ignition timing, so my timing changes according to how much boost I'm running. We have Sid's car set up this way as well (MAP sensor).

For the OP. I've used one of the best piggyback solutions for converting from AFM to MAP. I'm personal friends with the inventor, and had custom PB software to try to correct some of the issues with running a PB MAP conversion. I was never 100% satisfied with the conversion, there are just too many issues with the stock DME software that cannot be overcome using any PB.
As a result, I started looking at the stock DME software, and after a lot of work dis-assembling it I've decided that the only way to do a proper MAF or MAP conversion is through changing the DME code. Both MAF and MAP are possible, true MAP conversion (without a piggyback) is on my list to do.
Finally, an AFC Neo does not have the necessary capability to do VE - which is what is needed if you want to do a piggyback MAP conversion.

-Rogue
Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Euro951
Racer

From the horses mouth... Thanks Rogue! I think you should come out with your own MAF/ MAP solution that is more economical then what is out there. It would be nice to control timing based on MAP.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Vitesse with vflex software uses a MAP as well a boost solenoid and other goodies so the stock DME can adjust for knock and act like an electronic boost controller. Pretty impressive...
The DME does not adjust for knock, the KLR does. With the V-FLEX, the DME reads actual boost and alters the ignition based on boost. Basically you get the best of both world, a true MAF software which will give you correct AFR and now actual boost based ignition control.

The PB can be configured to control boost with the provided solenoid.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro951
From the horses mouth... Thanks Rogue! I think you should come out with your own MAF/ MAP solution that is more economical then what is out there. It would be nice to control timing based on MAP.
NP - glad to help:

Quick Reply: Why a MAF....