Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Towing ride after a 7K engine job... Damn!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 PM
bald_joint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Towing ride after a 7K engine job... Damn!

In early Febuary, I left my car at a reputable shop who do a lots of 951 engine works. The mechanic who’s doing the work is a very good pal and owns a 951 that he rides on track since the last 12 years, so he knows pretty well the car.

As the winter time goes on, we had time to do a real good job. We took out the engine and change about all that should be change on a 166K car.

Main bearing
Pilot Bearing
Crank Sensor
Oil Cooler
Timing Belt
Balance Shaft kit
Clutch kit
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Auxiliary water pump
Valve guide
New K26/8
All possible seals and gaskets
Machined head, flywheel…

As you can see, I put a lot of money in order to have a complete make over.

I took the car out of the shop yesterday and found that the valves were knocking a little bit around 2K RPM, but thought that was normal since everything take its place. The car was going very smooth and running very tight.

As I’m quite conservative, I didn’t open to avoid big trauma on the first 1000 miles. But my nightmare began after 1 hour of riding country roads.

I kept the engone on 3rd gear at 3500RPM for 10 minutes and then, the engine began to choke, like if the fuel pump had hard time or I was running to rich, so I stale on the side of the road. I waited 5 minutes before try to start it back, but then, I had a few backfire. I know that backfire can be very damageable so I call a towing to avoid any collateral damage.

What makes me freak big time is when I was on the towing platform, the towing guy ask me to put the car on first gear in order to change chains from my tow hook… Oh god no… The car starts to roll backward, meaning a big problem with the compression, well I guess…

FINALLY, MY QUESTION IS : If for some reason, the valves just gone bye bye, can I imagine that it will might need only a new head or valves may have also damage the block and pistons?

Please please please, make that’s only a little unwired cable and this is only a big bad nightmare…..

Sorry about my bad English, I speak French but slowly learning Shakespeare tongue.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:16 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to do a compression or leak down test to find out. Hope you can fix it and get back on the road soon.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timing is off, check proper belt alignment.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:15 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

salut, est-ce que la voiture roulait bien au debut et la performance s'est degrade par la suite?

-Nick
Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the timing belt readjusted after the first 1500 miles?

Quick Reply: Towing ride after a 7K engine job... Damn!