Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my 1986 951 with 310k

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:51 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an employee at my mountain resort business with a 1992 Nissan hard body truck with about 450K on it. The head has never been off, the transmision shifts well, the AC works great, and it runs like a champ. It's the 2.4 16V 4 banger with a five speed. No smoke, and runs as well as anything in it's class.

Truck looks good, and is something that can be driven across the country. He put an alternator in last week. First alternator replacement since new.

My LS sedan has 160K on it, and it will be my daughters car this year when her permit turns into a license. Looking at it, you would never think it's almost ten years old, let alone have this mileage. I'm not too keen on her driving a Lexus to school, but it's safe and reliable. I trust this car with her. It's been a gem, and I'll be buying another, newer model of the same brand. Used of course.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Cars today are all built to a minimum cost. Volkswagen for example assemble (some of) their cars in Germany, but a lot of the components are manufactured in China. Although the cars are well engineered, they are often let down by some of the hundreds of components suppliers quality. From my perspective, my 1989 S2 is of better quality than my 3 year old 2.0T Passatt. My S2 doesn't get computer faults, coil failures, steering column failures, suspension groans, window motor failures, brake switch failures, cruise failures or eat through brake rotors every 30,000km. The Passatt (as per most modern cars) may be more refined (if that is how you perceive quality) but it certainly spends more time at the mechanic.

It may be the manufacturer's goal to provide a durable product at the outset of the design process, but that certainly doesn't seem to be reality. I suspect large companies struggle to maintain quality control will so many parts suppliers contributing to each car model. I am certainly concerned now that VW has a major interest on Porsche that quality in the future will suffer.
Porsche is doing the same thing. When the 996 cars came out, this was the first time that the turbo motors were not built to the same standards as their racing motors. This is why you see the 993TT cars getting more money than the newer turbo 996TT models. But this doesn't mean that they won't be fairly reliable when stock. The 996TT cars are the new best bang for the buck out there. They take minor boost mods well, but not much more in a track setting.

Motorsport Inc. builds the 996TT motors to withstand 600hp for about 24K with reliability. They are doing these builds on a regular basis.

I do get what you are stating, and completely agree. Manufacturers are building cars cheaper, and using far more vendors to build their cars than in the past. Global enterprise and their manufacturing standards will get better, and the Chinese are actually making some neat stuff for less than I ever imagined. Their HID ballasts work well, and are cheaper than good Sylvania bulbs. Amazing.

Quick Reply: my 1986 951 with 310k