Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking to Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingskip87
OK so I've come up with about a half dozen cars that seem to fit the bill---they're all more than I wanted to pay, but they're all viable candidates and hopefully one will work out and the owner will be willing to deal. Nothing is set in stone, though, so if anyone knows of any other good leads please let me know!

Big question for the masses---if you were buying one car as a weekend driver, would you be more inclined toward a 951 or an S2 Cab? I'm looking at both and like them both---but they're sure different cars! What does anyone think on the subject?
The general rule of thumb seems to be that the S2 will be better at autocross, due to its shorter gearing and more instant power, and probably also easier to drive at track events due to its more linear power delivery. The Turbo will be more fun on the street (harder more prominent "hit" of power when the boost comes up) but will be a little bit harder to manage for AX or DE's (though I AX and DE mine and love it.)

S2's are a little more rare, which means that parts and servicing will be a little harder to come by. Turbo parts are everywhere. If you plan to do the work yourself, and source parts yourself, a Turbo might be a better route. If you're going to pay someone to service it, then it won't matter. It's a Porsche, you'll pay out the wazoo for either to be serviced.

Ultimately I'd say drive both and see which you like better. You're the one who's gonna be stuck driving it. Honestly when I was searching, had I found an S2 in my price range, I probably would've went that route over the Turbo. But at the time, clean S2's were going for over $10k... they were in the same price point as the 968. I also mainly wanted to (and do) autocross and DE, and would have preferred the linear power. But the Turbo does a nice job stretching a smile on my face when I lay into it in 2nd and the boost comes up
Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip,
Just saw an '82 931 pop up on CL in South Florida in your price range. Maybe something you want to consider. I don't think I'd give $4500 for it. Maybe offer $3000 and see how bad you offend him, he's got to realize it's not the best time to unload anything of value right now. It's not a 951, but with the lighter chassis it could be something to look at. Looks like several on here are getting mad power with minimal mods on a 924 turbo. Just something else to throw in the mix...
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
flyingskip87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah thanks Jeff---I didn't have nearly enough possibilities and questions, now let's throw another whole class of car into the mix...LOL!

I think at this point I'm 95% on a 951---maybe just a part of me interested in having the ragtop since I live at the beach. But, my DD is an 05 Mustang convertible so it's not like I'm hurting in that department so...

At this point I have 3 VERY good possibilities---but truth be told I haven't seen any of them in person or even ever driven a 951 so I'm still "cooling my jets" and taking it slow! I'm still learning every day more of what to look for, more of what to ask and most importantly---what to avoid!

Have received a lot of help since I've been on RL, both publicly and behind the scenes and I really appreciate it! Like I said though...if you happen across anything that you think is worth me looking at please rattle my cage!

Thanks Guys!

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy!