Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking to Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
flyingskip87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy!

OK, after owning an '83 944 20 years ago and going without all this time, I have finally decided to venture back into the topsy/turvy world of Porsche ownership. Talked to a guy who's been on here a bit and he recommended that instead of stalking eBay or Craiglist I should come on here and let people know that I'm looking to buy a decent car. I'm looking for a decent Turbo (951) or 944S2 that is completely drivable---I'm a decent shade-tree mechanic and can do what needs done to KEEP a decent car running, but I'm not interested in buying a basket case/project and working on it for years to get it on the road. This is going to be a weekend driver, stress-burner and fun machine! I'm slightly funds limited, so I'm looking to stay around $5K or so, maybe a touch more if something is exceptionally worth it, but hopefully I can find a decent car for that price---if not, I'm sure people here will tell me LOL!

Thanks in advance for any advice, leads, hints or good-natured catcalls! A newbie appreciates any help he can get, believe me!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Welcome! I also had an 83', great car but the Turbo is so much more. The nice thing about the 83' is the very simple, light, and old school feeling compared the the 951..

where abouts are you located?

You certainly can find 951s for $5k but consider carefully that if you're going to want to make many changes it will be MUCH cheaper to buy a finished car.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM
flyingskip87
Instructor

Kyle,

I'm in Myrtle Beach SC and I work a week on/week off schedule so I can travel for the right car (within reason) although I'm trying to stay within a few hundred miles, call it East of the Mississippi as my big boundary. Anything from FL up thru NYC is doable, I guess, with an emphasis on southern cars that haven't been driven in the winters---I grew up in OH and know what the salt can do after a few years! Thanks---I'm watching on eBay and CL, but hope that I can find something here where people (hopefully) are a little more involved and not so likely to try to scam me!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1638113323.html

no affiliation
Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
mzman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Josh B
I have bought a couple of 944's from that guy. He is honest, but his cars always seem to be on the low end. Look good but have a host of small leaks, etc. If you don't mind doing the work to fix all the stuff then it is a good deal.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
flyingskip87
Instructor

I've talked to him twice and he's come down on the price---something in my gut keeps me from pulling the trigger. Anybody know anything about this car or looked at it in person---I want something I can drive, even if I have to do some small stuff---not looking for a major project or a "garage queen".
Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Not trying to discourage you, but... IMO... $5k is gonna be tough to find a clean turbo that doesn't need a ton of maintenance or isn't a total rat. (And no way you'll find an S2 for that money, S2's are pretty rare.)

For that budget you're probably better off looking for clean 8v NA car.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM
flyingskip87
Instructor

Just missed an 89 S2 today in VA that I bid $6k and then left on errands---while I was gone he put a buy now price of $6200 and it sold---and I would have paid that! They're out there in one form or another---I'm not looking for a ton of costly add-ons to take it racing on the weekends, I don't care if the paint is a bit faded after 20+ years as long as it's not a rust bucket---I just want solid mechanicals, up-to-date mx and no secret problems---no offense, but half the stuff you have after your signature line I don't even know what it is or what it would do, so somebody selling something and asking extra for that kind of stuff would be Greek to me; maybe after having one a few years I'll understand and appreciate, but right now I want a clean, basic driver. The S2 was gorgeous and I wasn't the only one who thought so---when I talked to him (after the sale, of course) he said another guy told him he would have gone to $8500! Of course, cash talks so...

Still thinking about the one in ATL---anybody else have an opinion of whether I should jump or hold still for a while?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
flyingskip87
Instructor

BTW---that's not Omni as in OHI and you drive a helo in your daytime job, is it?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 PM
2bridges
Drifting

A bit of advice - $5k will buy you junk - or a car that needs all maintenance. On these cars that represents about $2500-$3K in parts and lots of hours.

If you add a little to your budget it will go a long way.

My car is in the progress of being reasembled. Anticipate it will sell quick at $8500 for the following

For sale 1986 944 turbo – 88,040 miles
Guards Red with black interior – Porsche script seats

ENGINE & RELATED -
Ultra Low mileage 2.5L Shortblock -
Fresh 2.5 Turbo head - ported/polished, new springs, 951 valves -
New - factory spec springs from Lindsey
Machine work done by HP engines (Hollis Page) http://www.hpengines.net/
Widefire head gasket, new AOS seals, turbo seals, etc,etc
0 mile timing belt
WebCam Racing camshaft - Precision ground cam to factory spec - 2k miles
New genuine Porsche lifters – (2k miles)

FUEL SYSTEM & COOLING SYSTEM
Bosch high volume Fuel pump and fuel line to tank (2k miles)
Bosch3bar Fuel pressure regulator <2k miles
Ultrasonically cleaned & flowed fuel injectors +service kits (hats and o-Rings) (2k miles)
Radiator professionally serviced (5k miles)
remove tanks,rod out and chemical clean,new tank seals, pressure test, external clean
New thermostat and turbo Thermostat (5k miles)
175degree radiator fan switch (2k miles)

Belts/rollers/maintenance items
new WaterPump (6k miles)
/rollers (2k miles) timing belt - (0 miles)
New belts and hoses + venturi delete (5k miles)
new radiator hose kit (complete 13 hoses)
new Silicone vacuum hoses, and venture delete
new tune up items cap,rotor,plugs,magnacor wires, fuel filter

New Bosch crank refrence sensors – (2k miles)
New Bosch 02 sensor (2k miles)

Other upgrades
K&N air filter
LR Max 951 chips
Forge diverter valve FMDV007P – black finish, with spring tuning kit
Fabspeed 3” Stainless Steel catless exhaust system
Tial 38 wastgate – silver with 1 bar spring, STAINLESS STEEL adapters
A/C delete

DRIVETRAIN
1986 951 transmission with cooler, non LSD - # 5P03075 86K miles
Clutch - <2k miles
Sachs pressure plate, clutch disc, release bearing, Resurfaced flywheel,
All new hardware (pressure plate bolts, release guide, fork bearings, fork pin)
New rear mail seal installed
LR solid trans mount installed (factory original included as well)
custom trans cross member mounting with poly isolators for noise and vibration
Custom made “supermounts” - rigid engine mounts with poly isolators

SUSPENSION & BRAKES
Koni M030 adjustable shocks & struts
2.5" front spring coil over kit with 325lb hypercoil springs (10”)
Late 87+ - improved design upper strut mounts
29mm solid torsion bars
weltmeister poly-graphite inner/outer spring plate bushings + energy susp lube
Rennbay 19mm GCK Ball joint kit - solid bushings track/performance chromoly pins
factory spindles CNC machined .001” larger than actual pin

front wheel bearings/seals replaced, synthetic grease <2k miles
moog outer tie rod ends - <2k

brake pads 0 miles front and rear (wagner thermoquite, excellent street and ok track)
Pad sensors replaced
ATE blue fluid – flush, bleed fall 2009
Brakes – front Zimmerman rotors, factory rear Porsche rotors, 0 miles front/rear pads,

Car is lowered, Corner balanced, and track/multi use aligned

OTHER
New hood lifts
Newer hatch lifts
New battery (Feb 2010)
no spare tire included

Wheels & Tires
16X 8” phone dials front and rear – no curb rash or damage of any kind, just refinished
wheels stripped, glass bead media blasted, satin clear powdercoated.
Durable finish is awesome – hose off brake dust/road grime, great for track use

Hankook RS2 Tires < 2k miles, no repairs of any kind ever
Directional tires, o miles since swapped side to side (Remopunted).

Known imperfections and items to be aware
- 944 hatch does have some glass separation and will need to be resealed at some point in the future
- vehicle paint is aproximately 10 yrs old and is driver quality, Front rock chips and some paint damage.
- passenger quarter panel does have some body filler and a silver dollar sized dull spot
- sunroof just stopped going down – must manually crank down at motor to lower it.

This is a very well sorted car with a nice list of mods and updates with maintenance items up to date. In a configuration less than current state (without ported head or fresh shortblock) this car ran 156.9mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Sept 2007. In a different engine configuration this car ran The 2008 Sandhills Open Road Challenge road race placing 3rd in class finishing 4 seconds too fast for it’s class.

Car is for sale as is with no warranty expressed or implied.

Engine assembly is in progress at this time. Will accept a deposit and set a scheduled completion/pickup date.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by 2bridges; 03-13-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
flyingskip87
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up---we all have to play with the cards we're dealt and I just can't go that high---I can go higher than $5K if it's necessary, but would rather not just so I can afford to go to McDonald's for a burger while out driving whatever I buy, and the jury seems to be split 50/50 between your view that I won't get anything but junk and those who feel it's just a matter of being patient and finding the right car at the right time.

I'd love to be able to buy perfection, but my budget is a reality I can't change---anything over $7K is completely out of my reach. Them's my cards, but I still want to try to play the game. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingskip87
Thanks for the heads up---we all have to play with the cards we're dealt and I just can't go that high
Then frankly, you probably need to buy another car. As mentioned, you can spend $5k but you're going to get a car that needs work and you'll turn around have to put another $2-3k to get it sorted. You're ALWAYS going to get a better deal paying for a well sorted car up front rather than buying the parts and then doing the labor and it's not even close.

I bought a $10k car last year that was in perfect shape and the PO had just put on $4k worth of Fikse rims and a new clutch 10k miles earlier - only issue was a power steering leak (common) with barely 80k miles. I still put $1k into it just to be 'sure' and since have another almost $4k in with go-fast stuff and other things to make it mine.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Mr.S
Advanced

I'd consider selling my car for $5k.....it's all original stock with 310k miles. It probably only needs $1k to be perfect.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:02 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think 5k car and then put 2k in parts is doable. (all maintence parts) But that requires you doing the work yourself. and it being a garage queen. Im all about getting a well maintained car but how accurate are those maintence records and with things that wear down timingbelt and what not your going to have to change those anyway might as well start out with a clean slate and know you did the work and did it correctly.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

my cars in almost mint shape and all i needed to do was replace the stock turbo due to it being blown, came with a host of receipts that totaled around 20k and i found it for $3200, just keep your eyes peeled for a good deal!

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy!