Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

She is officially off the road until further notice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:52 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default She is officially off the road until further notice

My poor poor 951 is officially DONE untill I address some "issues"...

This has been precipitated by the whisps of smoke coming out from under the dash this morning when I was about to leave for work...

So, I believe she is out of commission untill I can:
1) remove the dash, recover it while out
2) find out what decided it didn't want to play in my car any longer this morning
3) fix the engine (RMS leak, #3 excessive leak down from rings, leaking oil out of almost EVERY seal)
4) install the SFR FMIC I got in the group buy a while back

what ever else rears it's ugly head...

I have been having such a good time driving her, I guess I neglected to show her the love she so demands, and this morning she decided to get payback..

Oh well, rant is over... I am still considering buying a different motor for her, and rebuilding that one... and why wouldn't this be a good time for some tastefull upgrades "while I'm in there"...

SO begins the "Project"
Old 03-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

good luck
Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need any help doing the dash, I think I have had mine out 2 or 3 times now...
Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow man, sorry to hear about your troubles...Are you going to pull it?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check the fan resistors first, before you remove the dash. They are under the dash and if that is it (seen that before) then you can r/r without removing the dash.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:21 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

If I had to rebuild my motor I'd just put an LS1 in there instead.

That said, my motor went back into the car yesterday. Had to replace the oil pan gasket, which turned into replacing the rod bearings while there, which turned into replacing the clutch since the decision was made to yank the motor.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I have been putting off some much needed work on her for too long...

Dash needs recovered
AC Evaporator leaks (dash out is easiest way to replace)
Minor electrical gremlins, mostly associated with in cabin electrical (smoke came from area around left knee, or underside of relay panel, luckily I have a replacement panel on hand)
Rear main seal leaks when under boost (#3 has lowest compression numbers wet and dry, and has about 10% leakdown past rings... Has been this way since I bought the car 20K miles ago...)
Clutch now has chatter when hot, feels good and holds torque but chatters on application in traffic...
motor mounts will be changed out, already bought but not yet received (RW Group buy)

I have been considering buying a Koekln built motor with VR Stg3 on it, but that motor needs rebuild as well... but where else am I gonna find a deal like that? 400+HP does sound interesting...

And if doing all that work, in addition to installing the SFR FMIC I got a while back on the GB, I might as well do a full new exhaust (SFR header / crossover with true 3 inch turbo back)

These are the plans, now what will really happen? Who knows, but I LOVE driving this car, and was heartbroken today being without it...

As for the LS1 swap, I DID think of this today, but just can't bring myself to do it... and with everything else I have going on right now I can't justify the 10-15K for a 3L or LS1 properly done... maybe later but not right now...

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, and as teh project progresses I will be sure to keep everyone posted..

and for anyone on IBoats.com... I am AVIMGOD there and will be shortly (was thinking about this weekend) be ripping the interior out of my boat for a floor up refit as the floor is soft, and the upholstery is dry rotted... not to mention my N/A needs motor work, and my truck just decided to spring a coolant leak I need to track down...

So man projects, so little money and time... Oh well, at least I enjoy working with my hands...

More to follow in teh weeks and months to come... Now the question is, will this car make it to the fest?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

I have been considering buying a Koekln built motor with VR Stg3 on it, but that motor needs rebuild as well... but where else am I gonna find a deal like that? 400+HP does sound interesting...
-> chris@944enhancement.com <-

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bummer. Would have been a good "winter" project. Hope you get running soon.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
Oh, I know Chris... trust me I know... I ALMOST called you yesterday...

I do need to give you a call when I pick a direction for the motor... I still want to do the 3L we talked about, but need an interim "fix".. I had been hoping to be able to put this off a few more months and do it once, the right way..

Life has a funny way of getting in the way!

And yes it is a MAJOR bummer....
Old 03-06-2010, 10:28 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I vote find a good deal on a shortblock to keep you going until you know what you want/ can afford. Reseal, bearings, and put it in.

It will suck not getting use of the 951 after 20K miles (I put over 22K on mine in the past year and a half so I understand ) and IMO to maintain the cars fun/value balance you need to use it regularly. I got a good 951 shortblock for $350 delivered about 2.5 years ago when parts were a bit more expensive, so good deals are out there...
Old 03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White

Shameless plug?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the situation my friend. I guess, some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant. Hopefully, you'll be the dog again soon.

Quick Reply: She is officially off the road until further notice