Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Issues with PET on Vista

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Doynlaod adobe reader, for free. Should work fine. Also, Paragon has the same thing up, when you go to 944 parts. There are many others, as well.
I already knew that. I was just hoping to get PET to work.
I thought that link from Paragon was disabled ? Its no longer free and able to download
Regards
Ed
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On the windows "display properties" screen (to adjust your screen resolution), click the "advanced" button. Then, click the "adapter" tab at the top. Now, click the "list all modes" button to view a list screen resolutions (even resolutions that exceed your monitor's capabilities). You can temporarily select the required resolution to install PET.

It's running fine on my Win7 box.

I also got a hold of PET7, but it’s not in English, and I don’t have the necessary language pack installed for it to display correctly. So I don’t know what language it’s actually supposed to display. *edit* I think it's in Russian.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what the required screen resolution is?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall
Do you know what the required screen resolution is?
I believe it's 1280x1024.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Hey Derek
Yes you are correct the required res is 1280 x 1024
Thanks for the info... Sadly, I have a laptop, so I can't change the res setting above the capabilities of the display which is 1440 x 900 (its a 17" widescreen)
I tried your solution but it didn't work
Regards
Ed

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
On the windows "display properties" screen (to adjust your screen resolution), click the "advanced" button. Then, click the "adapter" tab at the top. Now, click the "list all modes" button to view a list screen resolutions (even resolutions that exceed your monitor's capabilities). You can temporarily select the required resolution to install PET.

It's running fine on my Win7 box.

I also got a hold of PET7, but it’s not in English, and I don’t have the necessary language pack installed for it to display correctly. So I don’t know what language it’s actually supposed to display. *edit* I think it's in Russian.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Hey Derek
Yes you are correct the required res is 1280 x 1024
Thanks for the info... Sadly, I have a laptop, so I can't change the res setting above the capabilities of the display which is 1440 x 900 (its a 17" widescreen)
I tried your solution but it didn't work
Regards
Ed
I forgot to mention that, before clicking the "adapter" tab, click the "monitor" tab, and remove the checkmark from the box which states "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" and click "apply".
Old 03-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Hey Derek
Thanks for trying ... For some reason my laptop has the choice grayed out ..?
Regards
Ed

I forgot to mention that, before clicking the "adapter" tab, click the "monitor" tab, and remove the checkmark from the box which states "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" and click "apply".
Old 03-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run old versions of PET under Vista/Windows 7 using a virtual Windows XP machine. If your primary OS is Vista or Windows 7 Home you’ll need a separate Win XP license. However if you’re running Windows 7 Premium or Ultimate, Microsoft offers a prebuilt XP image that you can download and run under the auspices of your Windows 7 license.

Microsoft has its own Virtual PC software for running virtual machines, which they recommend for Win XP mode. However it requires a computer with hardware virtualization support, which is lacking in many older machines. Instead you can use VMware Player, which is free like Virtual PC, but will run on most hardware.

Here’s a page explaining how to setup Win XP mode using VMware player on Windows 7 Premium/Ultimate: Run XP Mode on Windows 7 Machines Without Hardware Virtualization.

The same site has an article showing you how to setup WinXP mode on Vista/Windows 7 Home: Create an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Versions & Vista.

Once you get it set up you can use VMware’s Unity mode to have the PET window appear on your Vista/7 desktop as if the app were running natively on your machine.

You’ll still have an issue if your screen size is smaller than 1280x1024. However if your screen is close you might get by with running VMware in full-screen mode with the virtual machine’s screen size set to 1280x1024. You’ll have to deal with scroll bars along the bottom and side, but it should be livable.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myself:
You can run old versions of PET under Vista/Windows 7 using a virtual Windows XP machine...
Okay, I’ve discovered it’s actually a lot easier than all that. While I couldn’t get the PET5 installer to run on my Windows 7 machine (possibly because I’m running the 64-bit version), it seems that if you install it on an XP machine first and then copy over the c:\pet_prog and c:\pet_root directories, it runs just fine. (Hooray for software that doesn’t require registry settings!)

Of course this isn’t going to help those people who don’t have a 1280x1024 screens. For that a virtual machine might still be your best bet.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Thanks Jay
I will follow your suggestions...
Regards
Ed
Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Hey Derek
Thanks for trying ... For some reason my laptop has the choice grayed out ..?
Regards
Ed
On that same tab, you'll need to change your "Monitor Type" to "plug and play monitor". That should allow you to change the other options.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 276 Posts

You can find the latest, most updated PET here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/

Once the file is downloaded, save it to your harddrive.

You can do partial searches, more useful than the bootleg PET program.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to find a working copy of PET 7.1 It will run on lower resolution, and is an updated version of the old PET's with a lot more capability in regards to using the VIN and see what the retail price of the part is. 7.1 is not a PDF viewer like the version they have on the website.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

On that same tab, you'll need to change your "Monitor Type" to "plug and play monitor". That should allow you to change the other options.
Well, I tried that but there really is no option for that ... It just says
Generic PnP monitor

Thanks again
Ed
Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
You need to find a working copy of PET 7.1 It will run on lower resolution, and is an updated version of the old PET's with a lot more capability in regards to using the VIN and see what the retail price of the part is. 7.1 is not a PDF viewer like the version they have on the website.
Hi
That's the million dollar question
Thanks
Ed

Quick Reply: Issues with PET on Vista