Piston options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Wössner pistons are made from Mahle raw material (since 1947). Even Mahle does not make pistons with ferrostan coatings anymore. Use of that stuff (very poisonous and can cause cancer) has been illegal in EU countries about 10 years.
Mahle coating now is called Ferroprint, for the Alusil blocks. It's still an iron based coating but the process has been made more environmentally friendly.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RobE952
Guys,

What are your opinions of the pistons currently available to us? I did a search but the old threads don't talk about much except Mahle and JE. I'm in need of a set of 100.5 and would like to know peoples experiences. This is my limited knowledge:

JE - Best price but they use 2618 alloy requiering more clearance resulting in piston slap.

Weisco - I don't know much about them.

Wossner - 4032 alloy. Good pricing. Seem to be popular with the 911 guys.

Mahle - 4032 alloy. Pricy! Considered the best on the market? Paying for the name or superior design?

Thanks!
Only Wössner and Mahle offers pistons with a coating specifc for Alusil bores. With JE and Wiseco you have to get a generic coating, which personally I wouldn't trust.

Mahle's are as proven as can be, but there's a growing list of engines with Wössner alusil pistons so they look like a better and better alternative. Good price plus you have the option to change the design.

I just received my Wössner alusil 9.5:1 compression 16v 968 pistons with additional Swaintech Gold Coat thermal barrier coating. Looks good
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

What about for a sleeved motor? Would Wossner still be the better choice?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

A sleeved engine can run any regular piston so the choices are "unlimited". I would go for a piston recommended by the company installation the sleeves. You want to keep the number of suppliers in this area to the minimum and the company doing the sleeves would know what piston spec's to use and should be the ones dealing with the piston company (to reduce future headaches on your end).
Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
A sleeved engine can run any regular piston so the choices are "unlimited". I would go for a piston recommended by the company installation the sleeves. You want to keep the number of suppliers in this area to the minimum and the company doing the sleeves would know what piston spec's to use and should be the ones dealing with the piston company (to reduce future headaches on your end).
Truer words were never spoken....!

this is the "one throat to choke" management concept and it is a really good idea when taking on a complex project.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Chris & Duke,
I am thinking of buying a sleeved motor that uses JE's and needs alittle refreshing, which is the reason for the question. Duke, any info on that thing I PM'ed you about yet?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You can (usually) just do a very minor cut and hone just to clean up the bores if they are worn/tapered.
You can use any piston you want with the sleeved motor – but make sure you get the skirt clearance info.

When I do the work I won’t bore the block until I have the pistons in hand so I can verify the dimensions.

BTW – do you know who sleeved your block originally?

Originally Posted by hot-J
Thanks Chris & Duke,
I am thinking of buying a sleeved motor that uses JE's and needs alittle refreshing, which is the reason for the question. Duke, any info on that thing I PM'ed you about yet?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Well, I dont have it yet. Sale pending. But I believe Koklen did the work.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Thanks for the good post Duke.

Now, lets put whose piston is better to bed. It's all about the build, and what should be used for your application. All the top forged piston manufacturers make a great product. A good builder will use what is best for your particular application.

Quick Reply: Piston options?