Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Questions about Quaiffe/Guard LSD, DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Yes I did. I believe in them, but not the claims of 2 seconds a lap. I have been struggling with their cost vs performance for years. I finally think the open diff is holding me back enough to make a difference. In spite of the fact I led 1/2 of the National championship race in 944 spec with an open diff I think it is time for me. I can't consider the 2k Guard so I working on the factory one. My guess is that it will bring the car back on pace.
I can't argue with the money but I can tell you for sure that a 50/80 diff would transform several major handing aspects of your car without question.

Hey... speed costs money. Be glad you're in the 944 spec class rather than the GT3 or V3R5 class.

TonyG
Old 02-26-2010, 12:15 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with Tony 100%, the difference is chalk and cheese. We supersprinted our 951 for a year before putting it a 50/80 LSD from an open diff. the open diff made the car so unstable trail braking and so slow out of corners. i would honestly say we made 2 secconds straight away at our local track just from the LSD change. Infact my fastest time in 05 was 1:53.2 seconds and the first event in 06 after the LSD change was 1:50.7 seconds. i could power out of corners like never before and slide into corners with out swapping ends. the LSD just makes the car so much easier to drive.
M758, im surprised you have put up with an open diff for so long. just think those times when you came second or third in your class you would have won it.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I have heard in club sprints, the addition of an LSD saves at least 1 second per lap on a 944/968. Here in Queensland all the tracks feature quite tight turns, and at most of them you end up spinning the rear wheels out of them. One in particular, Lakeside features a lot of off camber and camber changes where the rear end always wants to break loose under power. I also can feel the rear end braking loose when braking from 200 down to 100 at the end of the straight.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:21 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
...M758, im surprised you have put up with an open diff for so long. just think those times when you came second or third in your class you would have won it.
Maybe...
The one major difference is that with only 134 whp (on a good day) there is less power to spin the rear tires and less power to lose. If I had 250+ whp then rear traction would be more critical.

On turn in I feel like I have been able to hold my own with most other racers. May be I working alot harder to do the same. In the end over these years my goal has always been to have as much fun as I could also being as cheap as I could. When I started I won races. Lots of them. It got dull. I tookaabout 9 month of zero racing and when I came back I had lots of on track competition. That made my drive better. I enjoyed the racing and trying to get themost from me as driver vs winning. I feel better having great race finishing 5th than winning by a mile with no real competition.

However lately I have just gotten frustrated. Mostly from getting killed lap after lap going into one of the major passing places on my local track. The open diff was not hurting me there under braking as it all straight line braking, but I am getting kill coming out of the prior turn. In years past I could carry enough speed through the corner that being late to WOT was not a problem. Now the competitiion is carrying the same speed on the way in and goint WOT sooner. That leaves me a sitting duck in the next brake zone as I cannot defend coming out of the corner when they pull along side. I can't stop them from pulling alongside since I have to take certain line to even have chance to put some power down. That leave the door open. If I do defend corner exit I give up too much speed on the straight.

I have tired chassis adjustments and they work to a large degree, but any more what I can in rear traction I lose elsewhere in terms of turn in or power on understeer.

So finaly I feel I can no longer be competitive, by driving around the issue or by tweaking the set-up.

For me the real eye opener was the national championship race. I did better than expcted there and that was a track where the corner exit traction was never an issue. Give Miller 3.0 mile layout I never one had wheelspin. Also the impact of turn in stability was limited enough that I could drive around it. The result wa that not only was I completive, but I cam within 2.5 seconds of winning the race. (finsihed 4th) That proved that I could complete, but the the limitations of my open diff were magnified at my local tracks where we do 90% of our races.

Time now to step up.

Hey it is one thing to con yourself in to being beaten by you own skill level. It another when you finally realize that particular part might be holding you back.

Well time will tell how it turns out on track.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Here you go Joe. Much cheaper. http://www.stockcarproducts.com/acc19a.htm
Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey,

I know I sound like an person compensated to push the Guard GT differential... but really I'm not and don't know nor have I ever met anybody at Guard.

I based my decision to get the differential because I broke a factory LSD differential case, which took out the differential bearing on the side, which pushed the pinion gear over, which took out the ring and pinion and which also took out most of the gears.

Anyway, I had read the POC articles about the Guard diff in the Velocity magazine. It made perfect sense for a lot of reasons.

So I talked to a few people that had the Guard GT differential and they all swore by it.

So took the plunge.

What they say in the articles are true and it does work exactly as described.

I could go on and on... but you'd have to drive car with one to understand.

The thing really gives you excellent car control on both acceleration and deceleration (vs a standard LSD setup which is a compromise setup). You really get the best of both worlds.

Honestly, it's one of the best handling upgrades you could do

No it's not inexpensive, but it really is worth every penny. You wouldn't be sorry.

TonyG

Originally Posted by M758
Maybe...
The one major difference is that with only 134 whp (on a good day) there is less power to spin the rear tires and less power to lose. If I had 250+ whp then rear traction would be more critical.

On turn in I feel like I have been able to hold my own with most other racers. May be I working alot harder to do the same. In the end over these years my goal has always been to have as much fun as I could also being as cheap as I could. When I started I won races. Lots of them. It got dull. I tookaabout 9 month of zero racing and when I came back I had lots of on track competition. That made my drive better. I enjoyed the racing and trying to get themost from me as driver vs winning. I feel better having great race finishing 5th than winning by a mile with no real competition.

However lately I have just gotten frustrated. Mostly from getting killed lap after lap going into one of the major passing places on my local track. The open diff was not hurting me there under braking as it all straight line braking, but I am getting kill coming out of the prior turn. In years past I could carry enough speed through the corner that being late to WOT was not a problem. Now the competitiion is carrying the same speed on the way in and goint WOT sooner. That leaves me a sitting duck in the next brake zone as I cannot defend coming out of the corner when they pull along side. I can't stop them from pulling alongside since I have to take certain line to even have chance to put some power down. That leave the door open. If I do defend corner exit I give up too much speed on the straight.

I have tired chassis adjustments and they work to a large degree, but any more what I can in rear traction I lose elsewhere in terms of turn in or power on understeer.

So finaly I feel I can no longer be competitive, by driving around the issue or by tweaking the set-up.

For me the real eye opener was the national championship race. I did better than expcted there and that was a track where the corner exit traction was never an issue. Give Miller 3.0 mile layout I never one had wheelspin. Also the impact of turn in stability was limited enough that I could drive around it. The result wa that not only was I completive, but I cam within 2.5 seconds of winning the race. (finsihed 4th) That proved that I could complete, but the the limitations of my open diff were magnified at my local tracks where we do 90% of our races.

Time now to step up.

Hey it is one thing to con yourself in to being beaten by you own skill level. It another when you finally realize that particular part might be holding you back.

Well time will tell how it turns out on track.

Quick Reply: Questions about Quaiffe/Guard LSD, DIY?