Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Urethane trans mount mod (the "Kelly procedure")

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:45 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urethane trans mount mod (the "Kelly procedure")

I'm thinking about performing the "Kelly procedure" on my trans mount (filling it with mcmaster carr urethane or 3m window weld). Is it possible to do this to a used tranny mount that is not bolted to a crossmember so that I end up with something I can just bolt in without leaving the car disabled for a few days? Larry Parker used to do this with 3m window weld and his posts seem to suggest that he did it this way. Unfortunately, his picture links no longer work. It would be a big help if I could do this without also having to procure a spare trans crossmember.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you could, and it would likely create a lot more work/difficulty. Its not hard to get the entire assembly out, fill it with Urethane and then re-install. I am not sure what you would gain?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Don't want to have to leave the car up on jackstands for 3 days
Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh sounds like a great idea to do a second hand one first ....I would just say do your best to get it realy clean ....
tape it up so the stuff cant run out and post a good thred with pics about how it was done ..
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It shouldn't take 3 days. You can get it out and back again within a day. It cures very fast. Even if you want to leave it overnight its only a weekend. I have a spare tranny member, if you want to go the used mount method. Heck, I could even make you a complete assembly with filled mount.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

I keep a kit on hand of FlexThane for parts repair. Can mix with hardner to get from 70-100 Duro hardness. Need to use one of the two primers depending if going from rubber to Urethane or Urethane to metal. Good product and have used in industrial aps for over 20 yrs.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did exactly what you want to do, using a product comparable to 3M window weld. Worked well but probably not as stiff overall as the poured option.

Would do it again.

Hot tips: use disposable plastic knives for distributing the goop onto the mount. Spread the mount slightly so that the goop ends up in slight compression. Sandblast the mount first to get rid of all grease and roughen the surface for good adhesion.

Mike
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 AM
gamman
Advanced

If anyone wants to offer a homemade kit, this would be a good biz to get into, I don't want to sandblast and glue crapola all myself, but I also don't want the stock mushbag or the rock hard 160 option. Something in between and supporting the community is great. PM me if you want to sell me one.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just shot my old one with brake cleaner and Window Welded it. It's been in there for several years. It's a race car so the tranny comes out about once a year and the mount is holding up just great.

West
Old 02-23-2010, 12:59 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

It shouldn't take longer than a weekend to do this. The material sets up in <12 hours. I suggested 24 hours in the writeup just to allow for very wide ambient temp variations. The cure slows as the temperature drops. So..........
PM of day1:
- Drop the trans onto a jack, and remove the crossmember
- Clean, prep, and pour the urethane.
- Place the member in a nice warm room overnight. Your furnace room might be perfect for this.
AM of day 2:
- Install it. With 12 hours of set up in 70F or better you should be good to go.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are simple to do. Dont need to sandblast, just a good scrub with a bristle brush and soap, then sand the surface if you feel like it. I dont think I bothered doing even that. I used a brand new mount, since 216k mile mount was a little tired anyway.

I used urethane from Home Depot, nothing fancy or of a particular hardness.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Here you go, it'll do this an soooo much more. Only limit is your imigination on how to use it:
http://www.markingpendepot.com/brows...80-Liquid.HTML
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Same material type as the McMaster Carr source I used. Hardness is slightly higher [87 vs 80 for mine]
I thing the McMaster Carr material may be slightly cheaper.

thedge is using a different method entirely to mine. The two part liquid would flat not work in his method.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by theedge
They are simple to do. Dont need to sandblast, just a good scrub with a bristle brush and soap, then sand the surface if you feel like it. I dont think I bothered doing even that. I used a brand new mount, since 216k mile mount was a little tired anyway.

I used urethane from Home Depot, nothing fancy or of a particular hardness.

Wow, great post. This is how you do this mod.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

that link that Own goal posted is the most hard core adult craft shop i have ever seen they have those temp change markers and heaps of good glues nice one

Quick Reply: Urethane trans mount mod (the "Kelly procedure")