Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

missing / stumbling on start up!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
I'm running about the same setup as you right now with the ape and everything. I had this problem last year and replaced the harness with the LR upgraded harness. Took a couple of hours in a parking lot, not too tough. One problem is that the wires are attached to the back of the intake manifold where the connections are. When the motor torques back and forth, it wiggles the wires back and forth and as they jiggle, the brittle wires break. When I finished mine, I ziptied the wires to the firewall instead to prevent this.

After I did this, my car would start and run but had idle issues. I found it was the ISV by disabling it at the diagnostic port as in the Clark's Garage idle speed adjustment writeup. I have been driving the car for a year now with the ISV disabled at the diagnostic port with everything else in tact, I just have to turn the idle up in the winter and down in the summer.

Don't worry about the O2 sensor. Like I said, I have the same setup and I've used a broken O2 sensor with no wires installed basically as a plug. The car ran rich because it never went to closed loop, but it ran. I would not go out raggin the car with no O2 sensor, but it should still run and drive fine. The back left corner of your car will look much cleaner once you put a new one in though.
So why did you have to adjust the idle for different seasons. Did it run perfect once you disabled the ISV? I am guessing that disabling it would just means having the valve open on that sensor? Why does the car have it?

Quick Reply: missing / stumbling on start up!! Help!!