Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 AM
mextremem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine rebuild

anyone have engine rebuilt from Stienels.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I have worked with them on various projects. They will do a very good job. Eric is a straight forward guy, talk to him about the various aspects of your build.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They love to use alot of paint marker and as a result your rebuild cost big $$$.

Honestly, his work is great I never see a car that he has touched come away with obvious signs of fiddling. That being said I don't think his work is justified in cost. I know what he charges and for the work I see performed I usually take my palm and put it strait into my face. However, if you have the money and you want it done right they do a good job but there are better options out there IMHO.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
mextremem
Intermediate

What would you suggest near the Detroit area? Really don't have lots of cash to do this. put 3 used motors in the last 3 years and just want a fast reliable Motor if possible? Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 07:48 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you stop blowing up your motor and build it right from the start. If you can't afford to go fast, stop trying.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by mextremem
What would you suggest near the Detroit area? Really don't have lots of cash to do this. put 3 used motors in the last 3 years and just want a fast reliable Motor if possible? Thanks

just curious what seems to be the problems with the other engines? i can understand 1 out of 3 but not 3 out of 3 seems like you are doing something to cause catastrophic failure?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Opeth
Pro

Lightbulb

reminds me of the saying "Fast, Relaible, Cheap; pick two."

Or something like that...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ramius665
I suggest you stop blowing up your motor and build it right from the start. If you can't afford to go fast, stop trying.
Said the guy who just finished building his motor after a early BBQ at Hershey!

Just pokin fun at ya...

And teh saying is..

You Can Have it Good
You Can Have it Fast
You can Have it Cheap
Pick any 2 together, but you can NEVER have all 3.

This applies to all things in life, and has been amended to high performance cars to be:

Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick 2
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 AM
George D
Drifting

Many of these used motors have been abused. Rebuilding your short block is straightforward. PM me. I'd be glad to help.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Said the guy who just finished building his motor after a early BBQ at Hershey!

Just pokin fun at ya...
And *IF* the snow would ever subside on a weekend, I might actually get the engine back in the car. It's literally sitting in my laundry room, completely finished, waiting for the Gods to warm the Earth for a week or two. And I've got SERE school in March, so I would LOVE to get the engine back in the chassis before then.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
mextremem
Intermediate

First motor was used and very fast for 2 years, and then the rod bearing went. Took to a local shop to have rebuilt and the price was way to high and they had a used motor he thought was good and my second event at Mosport blew head gasket running 15lbs boost and seezed the #1. Found another (reliable) used motor and that lasted 2 years and at Road America was loading up on long right turns and would puff black smoke and then run fine. The next event the next year engine loses power and turn off right away coast in and coolant overflows with engine off and tear that one down with bad #2 rod bearing and a bent rod and that puts me here.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by mextremem
First motor was used and very fast for 2 years, and then the rod bearing went. Took to a local shop to have rebuilt and the price was way to high and they had a used motor he thought was good and my second event at Mosport blew head gasket running 15lbs boost and seezed the #1. Found another (reliable) used motor and that lasted 2 years and at Road America was loading up on long right turns and would puff black smoke and then run fine. The next event the next year engine loses power and turn off right away coast in and coolant overflows with engine off and tear that one down with bad #2 rod bearing and a bent rod and that puts me here.
Wow, sounds like you track stock engines and on top of that you dont have records of maintenance. Ive read on here that guys usually replace their rod bearings after XXXX amount of hours or track days this might be a practice you want to take up. I just dont see running these engines that hard for that long and not ending up with the same results that you have had with out changing parts. sounds like you have had decent engines.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, wait!
If you are using these as track engines than that changes the whole equation.
Now it's
cheap
reliable
fast
good

pick two.

Here's a hint...3 of those 4 require that you eliminate any chance at 1, in combination.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
I have worked with them on various projects. They will do a very good job. Eric is a straight forward guy, talk to him about the various aspects of your build.

I agree Stienels is top notch, they use to maintain my car when the PO owned it. I sent a buddy there to get a lot of work done on his turbo and it came out with the attention to detail I expeced from them. They are not cheap but if you want it done right some times its worth to pay the piper! What are they quoting you?

Quick Reply: engine rebuild