Just a bit low

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just a bit low

Hi gents, Happy New Year. Between switching jobs and all the new schools for my Mates license, on the way to my Masters Unlimited, my time has been short everywhere.

So...year and half ago when the engine blew, #4 rod broke, we built the new engine. We got the machine shop to do the crankshaft, "cross drill #2 and #3 rod bearing journals, perp drill #1 and #4. Jim built the short block, installed the plugs in the crankshaft after cleaning, I went down to Corpus, we did the top half, intake, exhaust; I had to leave before he fired it up. He fired it up a week later and when hot had only 1.5-barely 2.0 bar of oil pressure. This is the 8th engine we've built, didn't do anything different - crank was standard, mic'd perfect factory specs - except for our instructions.

So move forward to last month. I have to rebuild the starter, car has not been started in a year(yeah I know, we've both been busy as hell), it fires up PERFECT after it cranks over maybe four times. Unbeknown to me, I've cracked a Earl's fitting when I changed the relief valve and I'm spewing a bit of oil. I changed the relief valve to the old style(86 block) and the oil pressure is on it's way to 4 bar, then I find the leak.

I'm getting to the point - take a look at the two photos, sorry, enlarged for your viewing. We told them to Perp drill 1 and 4...NOT THE DAMN MAIN bearing journals!!!!! I was just reviewing the photos on our gallery here at Rennlist and just spotted this...what do you think? Think this could rob .5 to .75 bar of oil pressure when hot?

standard crank

our new crank that's in the car
Old 02-14-2010, 12:35 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, that sucks.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Bret, what do you sail on normally? I am a 3 a/e unlimited, just graduated in May of last year. Have been doing harbor tugs since July, making the switch to ATB's in a month or so if eveything works out. Hoping the gulf picks up in the next year or so, would like to get on OSV or rig. If not, maybe deep sea for a year just to say I did it.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rigs, full DP class 3 semi submersibles, Kongsberg K Pos system. I got a waiver from my company, as I had been on moored semi's as Barge Engineer and OIM. Made to move to DP last year, holding Stability Section Leader/Chief Mate right now. Classes and sea time for now. I work 3 weeks and off 3 weeks, my wife prefers 14/14 but 21/21 makes more time at home when I'm not in Houston or Ft Lauderdale.

Check out Candies or Chouest - both have unlimited boats, big OSV, tugs, and Chouest even has a new ice breaker going to work for Shell in Alaska.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
Rigs, full DP class 3 semi submersibles, Kongsberg K Pos system. I got a waiver from my company, as I had been on moored semi's as Barge Engineer and OIM. Made to move to DP last year, holding Stability Section Leader/Chief Mate right now. Classes and sea time for now. I work 3 weeks and off 3 weeks, my wife prefers 14/14 but 21/21 makes more time at home when I'm not in Houston or Ft Lauderdale.

Check out Candies or Chouest - both have unlimited boats, big OSV, tugs, and Chouest even has a new ice breaker going to work for Shell in Alaska.

How well does that thing corner?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry for asking a stupid question but will two extra holes in the crank lower the oil pressure?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I think drilling the mains will lower the oil pressure. The rod journals are feed from the mains and this acts like a pressure relief valve of sorts.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool Bret, I'll shoot you a PM as to not clutter up your thread with old salt .
Old 02-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Sorry about that. Not that you want to pull it apart I'm sure, but I have a good 78.9 crank you can have for shipping costs. Or maybe chamfer and plug them?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:26 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

wow I'd love to work on a DP thing like that..I've spent weeks waiting for anchors before we can spud .
oil goes into those holes not out ..
my S2 crank has cross drilled mains standard i think.so as long as there is only 2 holes on the mains not 3 the reduced bearing ares wont be an issue ...
but any way who drills mains at right angles any how??
I would NEVER go with them again over that .
Old 02-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

lol, Chris, it does spin on a dime with 32000 hp.

Well, there wan't any noise at the low side, just not what we were used to. As many know, been a fan of VR1 oil, but I might try Amsoil 20/50, which has a bit better viscosity rating and see what happens at the lower rpm. Anything over 1500 rpm, oil pressure is as it should be. I think we'll run it for a couple of events and see what happens. All thats left now is to put some new pads on for this year, sway bars back on, and check alignment, and oh yeah, replace the cracked fitting.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Hey Bret!

Looks like you are having to much fun playing in the water.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes but...trying to see if I can make it to Mayfest too. When it fired up the other day after a year of not starting or anything, man that exhaust note got my blood going - it idled up, then down perfectly - that's when I noticed the oil spray LOL and, this is not to be confused with the last oil spray and FIRE that you saw . Not sure yet what my schedule will be in May but I'm going to try like hell to get us there.

As it turned out, the body was ok from the fire, it did scorch the rear difuser a bit and the passenger lower green accent. Toasted the WB sensor but that was it. Good thing it rained that morning and I hit the grass fast huh? I'll still buy the beer for your "pushing" efforts into the trailer!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

If I can make it down I will take you up on the beer. Let me know if and when you head that way. I am working back in town now but I don't think I will have my new engine in the race car in time but we will see.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok, sitting in the garage - new exhaust, new front rotors, new Pagid black pads, new clutch hose, new WBO2 sensor, Motul 600 brake fluid, new AN fittings for oil cooler, new copper gaskets for exhaust, new copper nuts, all new fuel tank screen to pump to filter lines, new light weight pullies in hand, iceshark battery cable kit, ported 89 intake with double banjo bolts attached, Porsche coolant and Water Wetter, and a new case of VR1 and oil filter. Hmmm, can I do this all in 12 total home days before a scheduled dyno run? Guess I better.

Quick Reply: Just a bit low