Why would a rev limit be at 7,600rpm?

Stock is like 6,500 and 7k is high..
Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
That is exactly how I threw a rod... And yes, the momentum of the drivetrain will push the engine beyond any set rev-limit.

-Rogue
are you talking Mechanical overrev ?

Disagree all you want. But try it for yourself (if you want to risk your motor), and you will see that I am right. Momentum doesn't stop as soon as you let off the throttle (or cut fuel).
Fuel cut could cause a bounce , it is not an efficient way to rev limit an engine .

Then your rate of accel wasn't significant enough to make a good example. But if you have a single log showing more than your set rev-limit, your theory is busted.

Do you really believe that acceleration/momentum completely ceases at fuel-cut?
If you stay wide open throttle with a good rev limiter system ( 2 stage ) the most you should see is max 200-300 rpm bounce over the limit . Even on 1500 bhp engines, I have not seen more than that .......
Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
are you talking Mechanical overrev ?
Yes.

Fuel cut could cause a bounce , it is not an efficient way to rev limit an engine .
Fuel-Cut is how the DME does rev-limiting (and overboost protection).

If you stay wide open throttle with a good rev limiter system ( 2 stage ) the most you should see is max 200-300 rpm bounce over the limit . Even on 1500 bhp engines, I have not seen more than that .......
Agreed with just the engine revving. But add the momentum of the drivetrain, and you can see more then 200-300rpm over.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The momentum is what keeps the engine still spinning, but it can never accelerate itself. That is simply not possible. Just because you don't feel heavy de-acceleration doesn't mean the engine is still accelerating.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

If the momentum of a mass could accelerate itself it would turn the laws of physics upside down.
That would mean that a bullet from a gun would accelerate itself, that a long jump sporter would gain speed after lift off, that a downhill skiier would accelerate during jumps etc.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good talking with you today Mike. Glad everything is okay. As its already been pointed out your fine and john's stuff works.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:50 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
If the momentum of a mass could accelerate itself it would turn the laws of physics upside down.
That would mean that a bullet from a gun would accelerate itself, that a long jump sporter would gain speed after lift off, that a downhill skiier would accelerate during jumps etc.
yes...why is this even an argument?!?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I can imagine the speed of a car to continue to accelerate in some instances once fuel is cut, and I can see that momentum of the moving parts could continue although on a rapidly abating line.

Isn't this sort of touching on the heavy flywheel influences and perhaps increases torque syndrome?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

The problem is that people confuses instant stop of acceleration with instant stop of movement.
The greater the mass the longer the momentum keeps the movement going, but the acceleration will stop immediately. There's no way around it!

Compare with a heavy flywheel. The rate of de-acceleration is just less than a lighter flywheel.

I'm not a physicist myself, but we cannot argue against the laws of physics no matter how you feel when you let of the gas. LOL just give it up..
And as a I said earlier, fuel cut does not occur instantly when you let of the gas! So that is probably what fools you.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A new morn brings the dawn and the light of sanity prevails!

PS anybody wanna argue over wither the sun will come up tomorrow?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm agreeing with Rogue on this one. Sure, in high school physics, the acceleration would stop as soon as the fuel or throttle is shut off. But, in high school physics, we also use "mass-less" string, "friction-less" pulleys, "fluid-less" air, etc.

Real-world physics is a little different. Forgive my Power Point charts, but hopefully this will illustrate how the mass of the components and their inertia (momentum) affects the system:

Old 02-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Giving this more thought, I think there are also some "relative" and "absolute" issues going on here.

If you're accelerating at 5 feet/second-squared, if you remove the energy from the system, you still have to hit 4 ft/s^2, 3 ft/s^2, 2ft/s^2 and 1 ft/s^2 before you can be at zero ft/s^2 - this time lag is the duration it would take to end your absolute acceleration and reach absolute deceleration.

However, the moment you go from 5 ft/s^2 to 4 ft/s^2, you are decelerating on a relative scale. A lesser rate of acceleration is still deceleration.

If you throw a ball into the air, you are acting on it with a force. Once the ball leaves your hand, it no longer is receiving energy from an outside force. It will start decelerating relative to earth's gravity as it travels higher up it's arc. Eventually, it's deceleration will reach zero, it will be at the apex of it's path, and it will start accelerating as it comes back to earth.

The more force you act on the ball with (harder you throw) the longer it will take for that deceleration to reach zero. Of course, if you change the properties of the ball (make it heavier or less aerodynamic) then the deceleration will reach zero in a shorter time.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

You are ascribing an inertial component to acceleration. This is the fallacy. F=ma... If F=0, then a=0. This isn't a simplification, this is Newtonian physics.

Your ball example is an interesting one. As you stated, once the ball leaves your hand it starts to accelerate downwards (deceleration). The problem seems to be that people have a problem with acceleration dropping to 0 instantaneously. Yes in the real world this doesn't happen because the force on the ball doesn't go from 10N to 0 in an instant. The force applied to the ball falls away somewhat more slowly, but the function F=ma holds true and the acceleration remains a function of the force. Once the ball stops receiving force, it stops accelerating.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Van, with that post I take it you changed your mind regarding your previous post.
I would say your top graph is exactly what happens no matter the momentum. But deceleration will be slower. The bottom graph is how it "feels" in real life.
IMHO the mistake you're doing is to illustrate acceleration as line pointing upwards, this make it easy to confuse acceleration with absolut speed. Acceleration is somewhat linear but the absolut speed is going up. The red line in the second graph is a good illustration of absolute speed of the car/object.

Acceleration stops instantly but since we have a lot of momentum we the rate of deceleration is very slow which makes it feel like we're travelling forward with unchanged speed.

Just look at any datalog from the track where you see speed. Even if I change gear in 0.2 sec I'm loosing speed during that time. If momentum would keep my car acceleration that would not happen. That is why a DSG gearbox is able to cut acceleration times...
Old 02-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Giving this more thought, I think there are also some "relative" and "absolute" issues going on here.

If you're accelerating at 5 feet/second-squared, if you remove the energy from the system, you still have to hit 4 ft/s^2, 3 ft/s^2, 2ft/s^2 and 1 ft/s^2 before you can be at zero ft/s^2 - this time lag is the duration it would take to end your absolute acceleration and reach absolute deceleration.
Nope…Its pretty simple…I think you are mixing acceleration and velocity. The “^2” tells me that you are writing about acceleration but I believe you are thinking in velocity.

The absolute second that the energy that is causing acceleration is removed the acceleration falls to zero, and, in the real world it will go past zero to a negative number due to friction.

Acceleration is the measurement of the rate of change. Think about the words for second – it is not a measure of how fast you are going.
An acceleration rate of zero ft/s^2 means that you are traveling at a constant speed (as long as direction does not change).

It really is the first graph…..for acceleration

Quick Reply: Wheelspin over-rev 7,600rpm