Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wheelspin over-rev 7,600rpm

Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Wheelspin over-rev 7,600rpm

Yeah, I know. Should I be worrying now or no?

I was teaching my little brother "car control" and how to have fun in a snowy parking lot. I told him to gas it while in 2nd and before I knew it I saw the tach at the last hash mark bouncing hard off of the rev limiter for 2-3 seconds.

Somehow I was able to manage my frustration and let him drive for a few more minutes before taking it home, but needless to say it is bugging me... Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:03 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it. At least you didnt hit 3rd gear at the top of 4th by accident.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats what a rev limiter is for, I highly doubt the revs got that high, btw. I bet your tach is off.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Why is your rev limit set so high?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

That is exactly how I threw a rod... And yes, the momentum of the drivetrain will push the engine beyond any set rev-limit.

-Rogue
Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The stock tach has a lot of ‘overshoot’ if the revs are going up quick.
Rev limiter should have stopped it.

John always includes a rev limiter…I think!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol just wanna note that uh... you let your younger brother (guess I don't know how much younger, but still) full throttle a 951 in a snowy parking lot with a big turbo and now you're worried.... Hmm, interesting.

I would say that if nothing went wrong at the time you should be good, though it may have stressed out some of your internals. Either way it's over and done now, not much you can do.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't you tell him to stop? 2-3 seconds is kind of a while to just sit on the limiter.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
And yes, the momentum of the drivetrain will push the engine beyond any set rev-limit.
-Rogue
I disagree. Acceleration stops as soon as the force ceases to be applied. If you are seeing overshoot of your rev limit the feedback loop is slow, or the instrumentation is faulty.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Disagree all you want. But try it for yourself (if you want to risk your motor), and you will see that I am right. Momentum doesn't stop as soon as you let off the throttle (or cut fuel).
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951
Yeah, I know. Should I be worrying now or no?

I was teaching my little brother "car control" and how to have fun in a snowy parking lot. I told him to gas it while in 2nd and before I knew it I saw the tach at the last hash mark bouncing hard off of the rev limiter for 2-3 seconds.

Somehow I was able to manage my frustration and let him drive for a few more minutes before taking it home, but needless to say it is bugging me... Thoughts?
Oh no!, you need a new engine, new turbo, new transaxle... (Just Kidding).

The rev limiter kicks in before you hit 7000rpm (pump gas more like 6700-6800 rpm). Now if you managed a mechanical over-rev (I don't see how here), the sky is the limit.

No need to worry, a mechanical over-rev would have bent the valves and you wouldn't have made it home. I would say you are fine, just stay away from hitting the rev-limit. If you plan on letting your brother experiment, you might want to consider the V-FLEX where you can set your own rev-limit...
Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

like this one nothing to worry about it

MM951
Race Director

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, I haven't taken it out again to check things out but will shortly. Luckily, it sounds like not a big deal. It's bad enough I got OCD for this car as it is... so things like this get my attention!

Re: rev limit - That is where the needle was pointing, obviously that is the only indication I can go by.
I really don't think the redline is set that high, as John seems to have fairly conservative stuff but again, i've never played with the limited previously. I always shift 6K-6.5K rpms at the most.

CameronK- Obviously I told him to lay off of the gas and put the clutch instantly, but the delay between my noticing it, me telling him, and him doing is not going to be instant. Plus he is a novice at driving manual.

951 RS - I let my brother - 16 years old - (or anyone) drive the car as hard as I would, but I cringe when they drive it harder than I do and I built it to drive it. I always hated the tools that had a nice car and would not let share the experience with anyone else. At 16, I was DREAMING of driving/owning/riding in a 951 and now that I am in the position to share that with people, I will. I already talked to him about what redline is, how to respond to it, and why to avoid doing it. He gets it and is still allowed access to it

John - as always, everyone that drives my car always comments on the drivability and wide powerband. The ones that know how much of a PITA is to modify a turbo car cannot believe it is a bolt on MAF kit! As soon as I'm in the position, I will certainly be interested in the V-Flex
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
If you plan on letting your brother experiment, you might want to consider the V-FLEX where you can set your own rev-limit...

As everyone has said, I'm sure your fine. Any damage that could have happened, would have. Just explain to your younger brother what happens to the engine during an over-rev so he understands. I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing your younger brother to drive your car but the more he understands the safer you both will be.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just chaulk it up to my car being too fast for the tach needle. I've seen many 951's swing the tach needle when they're spinning in first or 2nd. I've even done it in my own car. More then klikely no harm. Sure scares the **** out of you the first time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheelspin over-rev 7,600rpm