Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wheelspin over-rev 7,600rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:50 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

I've got lots of datalogs that show that revs stop climbing once fuel is cut.

Making something spin faster without adding energy or subtracting some moment of inertia defies physics. If you overshoot your limit the ecu has not realized that engine speed > rev limit, or the ecu has failed to cut fuel. These things don't happen instantaneously so like I was saying the feedback loop is one potential, or you are looking at the needle which is not a true representation of RPM and can overshoot.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Disagree all you want. But try it for yourself (if you want to risk your motor), and you will see that I am right. Momentum doesn't stop as soon as you let off the throttle (or cut fuel).
Are you sure it's not the momentum of the tach needle that keeps moving up, rather than the actual engine speed? I've wondered about this before. Maybe it's time to set the rev limit to 4K or so and hook up a digital tach to find out...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
I've got lots of datalogs that show that revs stop climbing once fuel is cut.
Then your rate of accel wasn't significant enough to make a good example. But if you have a single log showing more than your set rev-limit, your theory is busted.

Do you really believe that acceleration/momentum completely ceases at fuel-cut?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Then your rate of accel wasn't significant enough to make a good example. But if you have a single log showing more than your set rev-limit, your theory is busted.

acceleration/momentum are completely different functions.
Acceleration will stop the instant that the force is removed.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Are you sure it's not the momentum of the tach needle that keeps moving up, rather than the actual engine speed? I've wondered about this before. Maybe it's time to set the rev limit to 4K or so and hook up a digital tach to find out...
The tach can be made to bounce around wildly…way off when the rpms are changing quickly.

If you blip the throttle repeatedly you can easily get the tach to bounce off the end of the gauge travel. It does help to have a light flywheel to really get it going!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
I just chaulk it up to my car being too fast for the tach needle. I've seen many 951's swing the tach needle when they're spinning in first or 2nd. I've even done it in my own car. More then klikely no harm. Sure scares the **** out of you the first time!
Lol just wait until you're done. It'll do it in third gear when the road is damp
I had some race gas in the other day and put it to 23 psi and it got crazy around 75-80 mph when boost hit
Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951
Yeah, I know. Should I be worrying now or no?

I was teaching my little brother "car control" and how to have fun in a snowy parking lot. I told him to gas it while in 2nd and before I knew it I saw the tach at the last hash mark bouncing hard off of the rev limiter for 2-3 seconds.

Somehow I was able to manage my frustration and let him drive for a few more minutes before taking it home, but needless to say it is bugging me... Thoughts?
Don't worry one bit.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you pull the fuel the engine will not accelerate. In fact it will start slowing down right away given the compression ratio.

The only way to damage a motor by over rev when you have limiter is either by constant running or by a mechanical one. IE going from 4th to 3rd at 110 mph. That is bad. I have seen a number of 944 spec cars bend valves when missing shifts. At about 100 mph (top of 4th in a 225/50R15 NA) they get 3rd and the cars momentum runs the revs sky high as the clutch is released. This can cause valve float and contact. However if it did not do it you are safe. The bottom ends can take 8000 rpm for short durations. Valve train is the weak spot.

If you run for 3-4 hrs at 7500 RPM you may suffer wear related issues.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 PM
DanR
Drifting

hit rev limiter a number of times in the heat of a race, that is what it is there for!!! (ie to save you from potential over rev damage)
Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Man you guys are a tough sell...
Ok, this is fairly basic physics. Acceleration does not instantly stop when fuel is cut. It diminishes over time. Why? Because of mass, in the form of momentum.

Test it for yourself. Go out in 2nd gear and go WOT. Now, without taking the car out of gear, let off the throttle at, say 5500, and watch your speed increase for a short time after you let off the throttle...
Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, this is fairly basic physics. Acceleration does not instantly stop when fuel is cut. It diminishes over time. Why? Because of mass, in the form of momentum.

Test it for yourself. Go out in 2nd gear and go WOT. Now, without taking the car out of gear, let off the throttle at, say 5500, and watch your speed increase for a short time after you let off the throttle...
De-acceleration fuel cut is delayed in the DME. With instant fuel cut at <1% TPS the car is becomes very jerky to drive. When I program stand alone system I usually set the delay to around 0.5 sec.
IIRC the stock DME puts the fuel back in at around 1500 rpm.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're right, it is basic physics.
No force = no increase in velocity. The instant (as in an infinitesimal period of time) force is removed, deceleration begins.
no: if, and, or but, do not pass "go", do not collect $200.

In your experiment above, what you're seeing is lag in the speedometer. I wouldn't exactly consider any of the instrument cluster gauges to be lab quality.

Another equation would be Ps+951=F
where:
Ps = Snowy parking lot
951 = 944 Turbo
F = Fun
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Ok, one last time.
If acceleration is, say 10mph/sec. That doesn't simply stop and immediately decelerate. You are not accounting for momentum. The time it takes for acceleration to diminish to zero and decel to begin. This all time that the car is still accelerating. (and 10mph/sec is nothing compared to the acceleration rate of free-spinning on snow/ice)

I can't tell you how many logs I've seen of exactly this on a 951, and on better equipment then our 951. But whatever, I'm not here to teach HS physics/algebra.

I'm done here.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Tom, with the PB set the rev limit to 4000rpm, try to hit it (you need to create a bit of load). You can monitor the tach and read the RPM in the PB. The PB is your digital tach.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

I see what rogue_ant is saying and I'm inclined to believe him.
The car doesn't go from 10mph/sec to 0mph/sec and then negative. That would be an instant loss in acceleration of 10mph/sec which would be pretty sudden.
Momentum isn't being accounted for. What causes deceleration is the forces working against inertia, such as air, compression, and internal friction. The forces of the engine are obviously much greater than these things or else cars would not move. It takes a bit of time for these forces to slow the momentum and cause the car to decel.
I see this everyday in my car when I get on it really hard, go halfway through a gear and immediately put the clutch in, the car keeps revving up with the throttle lifted. I do understand that's reducing the load, however. So not apples to apples there.

Quick Reply: Wheelspin over-rev 7,600rpm