Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Feeler thread for 2 piece hat and SLOTTED rotors for Big Red brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Feeler thread for 2 piece hat and SLOTTED rotors for Big Red brakes??

I just thought I'd check in here as I've been on a bit of a quest to find some slotted rotors for the track. (I don't consider the OEM vented GTS or 965t X drilled rotors an option anymore).

I became interested in a 2 piece setup for a couple of reasons. Firstly the reduction in unsprung weight. Don't have the figures but it will be lighter. Secondly the design and material of the more modern slotted rotors is superior to OEM and they're also cheaper to replace....once you get some hats made up. So then this brought me to finding these components. I have found a rotor that is actually made down here in Australia however there is actually plenty of stock in the US according to the tech guy I spoke to today. So then it's a matter of having some custom hats made. If anyone has been involved with custom parts that are designed, drawn, and CNC'd it can be expensive, especially for one off parts. So I'm in the process of checking out what a couple of guys can do as far as numbers and costs. At this stage I was only getting the fronts done but I would entertain all 4 if there was enough interest?

This idea may prove fruitless if you guys have already found a solution. I just see the question asked in many of the forums about where they can obtain some slotted rotors for their 951/928/964 (and 993, though different offset). Essentially anyone using the Big Red/Black calipers.

So if you are interested let me know and I'll continue this quest. I am speaking to the CNC guys in the next few days.

Oh and for those of you who have a line on some hats, it would be extremely fortunate if they fitted other rotors. I've already asked.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what Hub are you setting up for ??
earlier hubs where the disc mounts on the back are a piece of cake as the a simple adapter can be machined from 10 or 12 mm plate or perhaps some kind of profile cut .
there is about 80% waste when you machine a brake hat at from billet .
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size of rotor you are thinking? I am interested if you can source a 350mm one(for 6-piston Brembo). Moped brakes are for someone else
My friend is a good CNC guy (owns a 951 himself) and 80% waste is not a problem....

He just made hat's for a 1986 951 Big(?) Red conversion, so hats can be easily made for old & new ET cars.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just bought a set of Big blacks for my 1986 951. I have drilled rotors and I will be using Hawk Blue. I am pretty sure that the rotors will start craking aroung the edges of the holes at some point during my season. So for me, I think that a set of slotted rotors would be nice.

The thing is that I don't want to buy a set of hats (just like in the nice pictures from Olli) each time because of the different rotor mounting solution...

c.

C.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Olli, I would think there is an option of rotor for you? I'll have a look.

Charles, you wouldn't have to keep buying new hats. Just once. You only have to replace the rotor, and way less often than OEM X drilled ones. Well worth doing. My first set of X drilled rotors lasted basically 1 meeting. I think they were pretty stuffed by the next time I went to the track and certainly at the end of that day.

As it turns out, there looks like there are some solutions out there already. I'm looking into them. I'll post back when I find out more.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Charles, you wouldn't have to keep buying new hats. Just once. You only have to replace the rotor, and way less often than OEM X drilled ones. Well worth doing. My first set of X drilled rotors lasted basically 1 meeting. I think they were pretty stuffed by the next time I went to the track and certainly at the end of that day.

As it turns out, there looks like there are some solutions out there already. I'm looking into them. I'll post back when I find out more.
I already have my hats... new, never used... And yes, my stock sized Zimmermann drilled rotors were always stuffed...

c.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

yeh see that one is Ollies pic is what I meant for the early cars only 10 or 12mm thick .
try to get at least 3 different 10 bolt rotor patterns on the one hat ..
I'd realy like to investigate you Eating rotors Pat ...this is the first i herd of it are others complaining of eating Porsche rotors ?? what pads where using ..
Did you park it with hot brakes ????
Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
101geo
Cruisin'

Count me in for a set.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I think I was using Pagid Blues the first time, and then for the 2nd meeting (Yokhama Superlap) I changed
Them to the PFCs which I had loved previously, but wasn’t getting nearly the bite that I remembered and
Ran out of brakes through the kink and into turn 2 Oran Park. That could have been going from one pad material
To another and having a different layer on the surface for the 2nd event. I've been told that you shouldn't change
To a different pad on the same rotor, but I wouldn't have thought one meeting's worth of Pagid would have stuffed
Up the PFCs the next time?

I have heard people complain of the X-Drilled rotors and have been advised by various brake people that you should avoid
X drilled for the track.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I already have my hats... new, never used... And yes, my stock sized Zimmermann drilled rotors were always stuffed...

c.
Charles, so when you bought the hats, what rotor were they designed for? Where did you get the hats from?
It may be difficult for you to find another rotor to fit them to?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe check with this supplier ?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&referrerid=38
Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Wow.. That is definitely worth the initial investment. I think I now know where Im getting my rotors from.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
FASTRNU
Pro

I have the same problem,cracking 993tt oem rotors.I use Pagid orange and only get 2 trackdays before I need to replace at $450 a pair.I have the custom hats from Koklen or LR not sure,from PO.I'm also looking for slotted and a pad that won't eat em up
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried 4451ASR.com? Looks to be drilled rather than slotted, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to talk.
I have no tie to them, just been to their site a couple times. I'm a sucker for custom machined parts, kind of diseased that way.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I just thought I'd check in here as I've been on a bit of a quest to find some slotted rotors for the track. (I don't consider the OEM vented GTS or 965t X drilled rotors an option anymore).

I became interested in a 2 piece setup for a couple of reasons. Firstly the reduction in unsprung weight. Don't have the figures but it will be lighter. Secondly the design and material of the more modern slotted rotors is superior to OEM and they're also cheaper to replace....once you get some hats made up. So then this brought me to finding these components. I have found a rotor that is actually made down here in Australia however there is actually plenty of stock in the US according to the tech guy I spoke to today. So then it's a matter of having some custom hats made. If anyone has been involved with custom parts that are designed, drawn, and CNC'd it can be expensive, especially for one off parts. So I'm in the process of checking out what a couple of guys can do as far as numbers and costs. At this stage I was only getting the fronts done but I would entertain all 4 if there was enough interest?

This idea may prove fruitless if you guys have already found a solution. I just see the question asked in many of the forums about where they can obtain some slotted rotors for their 951/928/964 (and 993, though different offset). Essentially anyone using the Big Red/Black calipers.

So if you are interested let me know and I'll continue this quest. I am speaking to the CNC guys in the next few days.

Oh and for those of you who have a line on some hats, it would be extremely fortunate if they fitted other rotors. I've already asked.
We searched for two piece rotors for my car last year. Couldn't find anything that fit my car. Went with what fit, 1994 drilled Turbo rotors. The GTS solid rotors fit as well.

I'm interested in what you find.

Quick Reply: Feeler thread for 2 piece hat and SLOTTED rotors for Big Red brakes??