Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

For those wanting to see the difference:

Turbo S :: "Big Black" :: Non-S
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hot-J
I have a turbo S, and I need new brakes. Either I have mine rebuilt, get new pads and rotors, or buy a kit for all four corners. What are my options performance wise? I would like to upgrade the front and rear with something newer and better. I know there is the big red kit that's widely available, but what about the 993 turbo S Yellow brakes front and rear? Or Cayenne front boxster rear combo of sorts? I do want the calipers in yellow or black, no red. Help, searching brings up some very confusing results.
The turbo S brakes are really quite good. For a bolt on upgrade, go with the 993 Turbo front big-red calipers and take the fronts from an 86-88 non S car and bolt them to your rears.

Sell your current calipers, and you won't have too much into the new setup. Braking will be much better, but know that what you have is really quite good. The rears look the same, but the front non S caliper has much bigger pistons, hense better clamping force. Your ABS will still work as stock.

Have the rears painted or powder coated red to match. The drilled (I know they are not drilled, but I don't know what else to call them) 1994 911 Turbo front rotors will fit perfectly. The 928S will also fit if you just want bigger rotors and not the sport type drilled turbo style.

Call a few vendors and see what they have. If you need a good source for used parts PM me.

G
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting so far guys. What I am most interested in is the 993 turbo S brakes front and rear or 996 I guess.
#1 Has anyone ever heard of using the yellow 993 turbo S brakes?
#2 What do I need to get 996 calipers to fit, front and rear, and where to get it?
#3 And finally, big black. What newer style calipers would match the rear? 996? Boxster?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM
George D
Drifting

Very interesting so far guys. What I am most interested in is the 993 turbo S brakes front and rear or 996 I guess.
#1 Has anyone ever heard of using the yellow 993 turbo S brakes?
#2 What do I need to get 996 calipers to fit, front and rear, and where to get it?
#3 And finally, big black. What newer style calipers would match the rear? 996? Boxster?
The upgrade is to the big reds, yellows, or whatever color you want from the 993 Turbo and put the non S front calipers on the rear. Any other brake upgrades for our cars will not produce better braking when you consider the cost, and I'll state you won't get much better over this, even when you consider the additional cost.

Our cars weigh less than the 993 cars, and the M030 turbo S brakes with proper pads and rotors will outbreak most cars delivered to date with similar HP. If your car has ABS, keeping things part of the Porsche parts bin within bolt on configuration is best.

I've never felt I've needed more braking when I've used the best that Porsche had to offer to bolt up to my car. Porsche puts as much engineering into their braking systems as they do into the suspension and motors.

Most of the cars I've driven with similar HP as mine didn't have as good braking ability as my 89 951. We are fortunate that our cars allow some of the best brakes from the Porsche braking parts bin. We can bolt up great upgraded parts and allow the factory ABS to work as originally designed.

What you will notice is that when you upgrade the caliper size, the ABS comes on much later as better brakes lock up much later, as you need less pedal pressure when slowing down. Bigger pistons, larger calipers, and larger tires allow less ABS intrusion when loading up on the brakes. Less heat build is the paramount reason to upgrade.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Despite what you may have seen there were no special Yellow brakes for the 993 turbo. They
only had Big Red sized calipers. Just get them and colour them Yellow if that's what you want.

You basically can't fit the 996 Monoblocks to your setup as mentioned here and before.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

993 turbo S

http://www.carzi.com/2008/07/15/sein...-sale-on-ebay/

Yellow calipers different from big reds in size too
Old 02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Turbo S Per wikipedia

During the second to the last year of production of the 993 (1997), Porsche offered the 993 Turbo S. Ultimately 183 cars were sold. The Turbo S is a high-spec Turbo including a power upgrade to 424 hp (SAE) for the American market and to 450 hp (DIN) in other markets. The inclusion of extras including carbonfibre decoration in the interior makes it different from the earlier lightweight, spartan 964 Turbo S. The 993 Turbo S is recognized by yellow brake calipers, a slightly larger rear wing, a 4-pipe exhaust and air scoops behind the doors. This was the last of the air-cooled Turbos. 12 Turbo S cars were delivered to Australia.

Most critics today call it "the best porsche ever made" and that "it will never be defeated."

It was based on the GT2 but with 4WD and it was a bit more luxurious. It has the same brakes as the GT2 and same basic shape as the GT2.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by George D
The upgrade is to the big reds, yellows, or whatever color you want from the 993 Turbo and put the non S front calipers on the rear. Any other brake upgrades for our cars will not produce better braking when you consider the cost, and I'll state you won't get much better over this, even when you consider the additional cost.

Our cars weigh less than the 993 cars, and the M030 turbo S brakes with proper pads and rotors will outbreak most cars delivered to date with similar HP. If your car has ABS, keeping things part of the Porsche parts bin within bolt on configuration is best.

I've never felt I've needed more braking when I've used the best that Porsche had to offer to bolt up to my car. Porsche puts as much engineering into their braking systems as they do into the suspension and motors.

Most of the cars I've driven with similar HP as mine didn't have as good braking ability as my 89 951. We are fortunate that our cars allow some of the best brakes from the Porsche braking parts bin. We can bolt up great upgraded parts and allow the factory ABS to work as originally designed.

What you will notice is that when you upgrade the caliper size, the ABS comes on much later as better brakes lock up much later, as you need less pedal pressure when slowing down. Bigger pistons, larger calipers, and larger tires allow less ABS intrusion when loading up on the brakes. Less heat build is the paramount reason to upgrade.
I should state that I have 993 Big Reds with 1994 911 turbo drilled rotors and rear non S 951 front calipers powder coated red with drilled rotors in the rear. Wanted them to match. They came in black only.

Everything bolts up and my ABS works as designed. Lockup doesn't happen often, but when it does you feel it working.

Patrick is correct, some 993 cars came with different caliper color, but they are the same parts in the 993 series turbo cars.

G
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

What do you mean you can't fit 996 mono blocks ? is it trying to go radial to radial with an offset change ??
but even so if one was to change the disc offset same time?
so those 3 calipers pictured above ve are they 9" standard 10" S and 11" big ?? Not sure what i have here ..
Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
What do you mean you can't fit 996 mono blocks ? is it trying to go radial to radial with an offset change ??
but even so if one was to change the disc offset same time?
so those 3 calipers pictured above ve are they 9" standard 10" S and 11" big ?? Not sure what i have here ..
I assumed that you knew your wheels would have to be changed/upgraded to a larger size. The 993 calipers will not fit into any stock 951 factory wheel. Like I stated earlier, the M030 brakes are very good, and the best option for someone that just wants great brakes without the costs involved in what some of us have undertaken.

I've shared my experience, and know the costs involved. If you want to know exactly what's involved, PM me or others here that have done brake upgrades.

This is not an inexpensive proposition. The M030 brakes are really great brakes for most 951's.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

I am running 18's, 5 spoke carrera lightweights..... So all the above will fit. So if the turbo S brakes are the same as the big reds, just a different color, the front and rear will bolt right on correct?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmm.... Found a Cayenne GTS brake set front and rear used for 1200. Could this work?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM
George D
Drifting

I am running 18's, 5 spoke carrera lightweights..... So all the above will fit. So if the turbo S brakes are the same as the big reds, just a different color, the front and rear will bolt right on correct?
No, the front 993 calipers will fit, the 993 rears will not fit on our cars as a bolt in system.

The front 951 non M030 fronts will bolt up to the rears on an M030 equipped car. They may fit on a non M030 car, but I've no experience with this. Anyone with knowledge, please chime in here.

The front non M030 calipers will bolt up to a 951 with M030 brakes in the rear.

You can bolt up the non M030 951 front calipers to your M030 951 rears and will compliment your new 993 fronts with all around better braking ability.

I'm just stating what I've done. I'm sure there are others that will chime in here. I've only worked on and modded M030 951's.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 923 Posts

will 993 rotors fit on front of stock 88' 951S
thanks Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice car!

Ok, the 'S' model is different. I'm sure these are probably the first 4 piston Monoblocks from the GT2.
These won't fit the Mo30 car. They will fit the pre S models with a larger rotor thrown in of course.

Quick Reply: 951 S big brake upgrade?