Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HANS device and Harness bars..???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default HANS device and Harness bars..???

Firstly, is anyone running a HANS device on the track?

Secondly, I won't have a roll cage in this particular car so can something like the Brey Krause Harness bar work as a substitute for attaching the HANS?
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r1020.php

I had a bar running across what we'd probably term our 'C' pillars but looking at the HANS website, this would be too far away for the straps to attach. They want something like 8" or less so I'm thinking this bar needs to be on the 'B' pillar.
Does or has anyone run one of these?

Any info welcome.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:08 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know you need harnesses specific for use with hans - The upper shoulder belts are different.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been running the Hans for a few years now.

Assuming that your harness is aligned properly over your shoulders through the seat back, you should have no issues.

I run Schroth 5 or 6 point harnesses (depending on the car). Both are the same and none are designated specifically for a Hans per thier web site.

TonyG
Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2bridges
I do know you need harnesses specific for use with hans - The upper shoulder belts are different.
you can get specific harnesses with 2" upper belts but you do not need them. I run regular 3" upper belts with no problem. Just follow the guidelines closely. Many people run HANS with an incorrect harness set up which can reduced their effectiveness
Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Check the manufacturer - the one looked at explicit documents the thinner upper belts are required.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2bridges
Check the manufacturer - the one looked at explicit documents the thinner upper belts are required.
The HANS was out years before the newer style upper belts were designed to better fit them. I know several folks who race with 3" upper belts. The biggest gripe with the 3" belts is in convenience, not function. The 2" uppers were made to meet a market demand for belts that were easier to fit with a HANS.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

OK but does this mean you can run a HANS or similar without a roll cage? Would that BK harness bar be sufficient?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hmm, now this seems like what I might need then??

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=9573
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
OK but does this mean you can run a HANS or similar without a roll cage? Would that BK harness bar be sufficient?
Yeah, as long as you have a properly tethered harness, you are fine. I'll likely be running one that way at the APril DE in Altanta.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:44 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

As long as the belts are aligned properly so they won't slip off of the Hans device and are aligned over your shoulders properly, the Hans device will work the way it was designed.

Also a roll cage has zero to do with the Hans other than it would be used a a belt mounting point rather than a harness bar. In either case, the only thing that matters (with resepct to the Hans device), is that the belts are aligned over the Hans device properly and go through the seat over your shoulders at the proper angle to what ever is supporting the belts.

TonyG
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hmm, now this seems like what I might need then??

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=9573

I would stick with the Hans and get a real race seat with a Halo. That gives you the support in all direction of impacts.

Plus the Hans is approved in every racing organization and club.

TonyG
Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I have the same bar as you. That bar is only a guide. you do not secure the belt on that bar. If you use it that you can use the HANS
Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The by the book answer is no. You should not run with a harness bar period. If the car rolls over, and you are strapped into a harness, your neck can not flex to the side if the roof collapses as it can with a DOT belt. This is why many clubs are now outlawing harness bar/harness use on track. Instead, the roof collapses directly on top of your head and it has no where to go. Now strap yourself in even tighter with a Hans, and you compound the issue. If you want to use harnesses and a hans, you should have at minimum a rollbar installed.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I use a roll bar in my street car to attach the harness. IMHO this is the only way to go for a street driven, but tracked car. You get a bit of extra roll over protection and a good place to mount the shoulder belts. There is also less worry about driving the car without a helmet because all the roll bar is out of range of a naked head.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
The by the book answer is no. You should not run with a harness bar period. If the car rolls over, and you are strapped into a harness, your neck can not flex to the side if the roof collapses as it can with a DOT belt. This is why many clubs are now outlawing harness bar/harness use on track. Instead, the roof collapses directly on top of your head and it has no where to go. Now strap yourself in even tighter with a Hans, and you compound the issue. If you want to use harnesses and a hans, you should have at minimum a rollbar installed.
When I got harnesses I got a roll bar for just this reason. A rollover is a pretty rare event, but....

I bought John Hajney's roll bar, and recommend both it and John to you.

http://redlinerennsport.homestead.co...guardPage.html

Quick Reply: HANS device and Harness bars..???