Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help Me Identify What this Does

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Identify What this Does

I was at the shop today and we were discussing how best to put the engine back in the car. Anyways, there are some things that had been done in the cars history that are interesting and then modifications done by the PO.

Anyways, one of the modifications is this thing (in the pictures). I think it is an "air-oil separator". It has big oil line running from the block and then to the oil cooler. So it is inline with the cooler. Then a small line runs up to valve cover.

Does anyone have any idea what this is for sure and what it does? It is mounted where the washerfluid tank is and I am debating removing this thing and putting the washer tank back in. I am trying to decide which is more useful.

TIA
-Dana

Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its hard to tell, from your description, what exactly it's being used for.
Either way its made by Canton. If their product coloring is consistant, it would be an oil cooler thermostat. It's location also makes sense for that.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looks exactly like the oil cooler thermostat on their website... but why install an aftermarket one, when the car came from the factory with one?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

hmm is the factory one easy to mess with ?? some control freaks what to be able to adjust stuff ..
the factory oil filter is a neusence that it drops its guts when you pull it
Old 01-30-2010, 02:11 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
hmm is the factory one easy to mess with ?? some control freaks what to be able to adjust stuff ..
the factory oil filter is a neusence that it drops its guts when you pull it
The unit shown opens at 215... not adjustable.

and it isn't a filter relocate, just an aftermarket thermostat. Factory thermostat is under a allen plug on the front of the filter housing, inboard and below the filter, and a replacement thermostat is about 1/3 the price of the canton unit...

I can understand going to the trouble for a secondary cooler, but this one appears to be plumbed in line to the factory cooler only... so I'm just at a loss for why you would put in an aftermarket oil thermostat...

"Our Oil Cooler Thermostat helps your engine’s oil come up to temperature quickly and holds it at the right temperature. Cold oil does not flow and does not lubricate correctly. Plus, moving cold oil robs power. This thermostat is designed to bypass the cooler until the oil reaches 215 degrees. At 215 degrees water condensation in the oil will evaporate and the oil will be warm enough to flow and lubricate properly. The thermostat housing is machined from a 3-1/4" square 6061 T6 aluminum extrusion. Thermostats are 6" tall and come with a black and clear anodized finish and stainless steel mounting clamp. The oil ports accept 1-1/16" -12 O-ring fittings. (4 fittings required per unit) "

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...ion&key=22-480
Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys for helping me identify that.

I think I would rather have my windshield washer (and a tank for water injection) than that thing. Again, I don't know why it was installed. It was installed before I bough the car. But with the engine out it is very easy to get the washer reservoir in.

-Dana
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Sounds like it's used to get your oil up to temps more quickly, perhaps the PO had money to spend, read the description and felt that was something they wanted without knowing if the car already has one lol.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
2bridges
Drifting

factory one may have been removed - before discarding may want to be sure
Old 01-30-2010, 04:32 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I recall correctly, the factory oil thermostat work like a diverter valve.
When removed, the oil will take the path of least resistance, which is not through the oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Help Me Identify What this Does