Belt inspection advice - cover is off- suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Belt inspection advice - cover is off- suggestions

Hey all,

I have an 86 951 which I am cleaning up to sell to a fellow club member. We did the PPI and I am replacing anything suspect so we have a happy buyer and my reputation stays unblemished. I had to replace the steering rack and motor mounts. While down that road I pulled the PS res, relaced a leaking hose and anything rubber that fluid touched- and the assy belts for good measure. While everything is out I pulled the belt cover to get a look at them. I have never owned an 86 (87 yes but not 86). What is a good guide line on replacement needs or tell signs.. Are there measurements I can perform to verify health or what. Car is completly stock and has always been so. I was told when I bought the car the belts had been done but no documents. Isn't there a newer part number I can verify to make sure they have been done at least once. ( I swear I remember this from years past) the car has 100K or so.

I am reasearching tonight but would appreciate any advice or snide remarks....

Cheer, Mike
Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be safe and replace them.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't, DO NOT, NEVER sell a car to another Porsche person, especially not a fellow club member, without knowing for a FACT that the car is good to go, or your doubts are CLEARLY disclosed.
Your rep is too important!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the belts. make sure marks are lined up. tension is good. no fraying. no chunks missing. and no stretch seen by tensioner travel or nvm 86 roller style. they dont have to be shiny and black, they wont be.

Quick Reply: Belt inspection advice - cover is off- suggestions