Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Aluminum Radiator / Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Euro951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! If it came with lines and AN fittings ready to plug and play I think you would have a hot item. No pun intended
Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this fit 968CS?? I am searching a aluminium radiator and oil cooler. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 968CS_HKG
Would this fit 968CS?? I am searching a aluminium radiator and oil cooler. Thanks!
It should fit a 968, in fact I am installing one in mine later this winter. I will have to double check on the oil line routing.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 AM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

looks like a WIZARD radiator, I run their aluminum racing radiator and run two 7 row mocal coolers with -10 lines/ fittings on my 951 track car. I did not opt for the built in cooler since I already have 2 external oil coolers , one behind each empty fog light buket
if it is from WIZARD, its frikin awesome, if it is from Chris, I can't personally vouch, but from all of the post and theads I've read, Chris , you know your stuff sir,
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Yes, its fabbed by the folks at Wizzard. They are located not too far from me up here in upstate New York. I knew about their 944 radiators and took a look at them a while ago. I got together with Scott (Wizard Owner) and worked on the oil cooler version as well as refining the ‘regular’ radiator. By the time we were done we changed all the dimensions and made the end tanks with a laser cut blank instead of hand fabricated. The latest revision has an interesting mod to the lower radiator hose to allow for the stock fans to fit without any mods. The one pictured on the Lindsey side will not fit the stock fan shroud.

Since I did not want to drive the price of the radiator up any further I did not pay for the exclusive rights. You can buy this radiator from several sources (but not cheaper!). I do have a little more insight on fitment and I also offer custom fitted oil lines and adapters to install in in your 951 . BTW – I include new rubber upper radiator mounts with the radiators (no extra charge). No sense in trashing an expensive radiator by reusing the old worn mounts!

If we get enough people together I can lower the price a bit for a group buy.

These pictures are for the most recent design with a AN16 cooler line for a dry sump set up. The normal AN12 lines don't require trimming on the shroud.
Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Yes, its fabbed by the folks at Wizzard. They are located not too far from me up here in upstate New York. I knew about their 944 radiators and took a look at them a while ago. I got together with Scott (Wizard Owner) and worked on the oil cooler version as well as refining the ‘regular’ radiator. By the time we were done we changed all the dimensions and made the end tanks with a laser cut blank instead of hand fabricated. The latest revision has an interesting mod to the lower radiator hose to allow for the stock fans to fit without any mods. The one pictured on the Lindsey side will not fit the stock fan shroud.

Since I did not want to drive the price of the radiator up any further I did not pay for the exclusive rights. You can buy this radiator from several sources (but not cheaper!). I do have a little more insight on fitment and I also offer custom fitted oil lines and adapters to install in in your 951 . BTW – I include new rubber upper radiator mounts with the radiators (no extra charge). No sense in trashing an expensive radiator by reusing the old worn mounts!

If we get enough people together I can lower the price a bit for a group buy.

These pictures are for the most recent design with a AN16 cooler line for a dry sump set up. The normal AN12 lines don't require trimming on the shroud.
What is the price for this including the fitting adapters & lines? I'd be interested in a "plug & play" setup.

Are any modifications to the car required? I seem to recall a comment that one of the lines had to be trimmed on the car but I can't find that now).

Thanks much,

Rick

Last edited by Rick; 01-04-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

^ +1
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^+2
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rick
What is the price for this including the fitting adapters & lines? I'd be interested in a "plug & play" setup.

Are any modifications to the car required? I seem to recall a comment that one of the lines had to be trimmed on the car but I can't find that now).

Thanks much,

Rick
Last year I did a group buy at $1k for the radiator and $250 for the oil hoses and adapters. No modification to the car required, you do have to trim the radiator hoses a little and add a splice to shorten up the lower hose. The kit includes an aluminum splice tube and all instructions. The one post about the oil lines not fitting was because the line was not run in the correct orientation – I worked it out with him and the hoses fit fine. No mods to the car at all.

If there is interest in another group buy I might be able to get a little lower price with a quantity of 5 or more.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Just so everyone can be made aware - if you try to price out a C&R stock car type radiator with built in oil cooler you're looking at $1,800 and up, and they don't have near as much surface area for cooling as Chris' design does. This is perfect for the 951's.

Chris - great job brother, coming from someone who now knows way too much about oil cooling

Everyone else - when your radiator goes, get this product. It will last, be efficient and be great for track days with proper ducting.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Originally Posted by DDP
A fan for the oil cooler wouldn't hurt. But I was specifically talking about the radiator portion.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good solution for someone that wants a compact solution. It maybe a bit costly, but then again you'd have to build a support and bracket setup to mount an aftermarket oil cooler (other then two stock units, of course) which would cost money as well. It would be interesting to add up the cost for both setups to compare.
For the same reason stock cars have a 16" spal fan behind them...Air stall can occur if the radiator isn't mounted in a V type angle to the air flow. The fan will pull air through and encourage on coming air to take a path through the core when it is mounted upright allowing more air to flow through. Not to mention the fan will be used at low speeds to get cooling.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Thom
Race Car

I could do with a new radiator, however I'm not sure a new OEM radiator and the addition of a second stock oil cooler won't allow less performance than this set up.

Last edited by Thom; 01-06-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As always Chris you have assembled a great part/package for these care. The cost is pennies compared to using a cheaper (or so some think) alternative.

Well done
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Thom
Race Car

Chris, are you a supplier of LR ?

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944RADBIL.html
Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I had a similar radiator made a couple of years ago for a 951. Mine fit in the OE location and the factory fans, fan switch were all used plus the core size was the actually slightly larger and thicker. Fit very well and was a clean install.

It's a great solution to where to add an oil cooler, just use space that is already there!

Quick Reply: New Aluminum Radiator / Oil Cooler