Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Aluminum Radiator / Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet
How much HP is it rated for or how much better cooling vs stock?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Ward
sweet
How much HP is it rated for or how much better cooling vs stock?
The radiator is rated for one million horsepower. (as long as its immersed in a 35 degree water bath with a 50gal/minute coolant pump).

Seriously – you can’t really ‘rate’ a radiator because it depends on many other details of the cooling system, the air flow, the coolant flow rate, the heat transfer from the block to the coolant and so on. All that being said the radiator will not have any problem keeping a 600hp engine at the correct temp out on the track. It can probably support quite a bit more HP but I haven’t tested that limit!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
John Milne
Advanced

Chris,

I sent you an email about participating in the group buy.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

Chris, out of interest, I assume there is no engine coolant flowing through the oil cooler part of the core, like an oil/water heat exchanger would have - i.e. the actual benefits are the extra surface area and ducted air from the fans...

I guess you can ship to the UK no problems... ?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Korenwolf
Chris, out of interest, I assume there is no engine coolant flowing through the oil cooler part of the core, like an oil/water heat exchanger would have - i.e. the actual benefits are the extra surface area and ducted air from the fans...

I guess you can ship to the UK no problems... ?
Yes, it is an air to oil cooler, there is a very small amount of heat transfer from the bottom of the coolant area to the top of the oil cooler but it is pretty small.
I can ship to England, I have sent several to Sweden and Finland before. They are packaged quite nicely. Info on the pricing will be posted today!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM
barks944
Advanced

Another potential UK customer registering interest. I would be interested in a bolt on kit with all the fittings etc.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

OK, It took a while to get it all ironed out – in the end it came out as the same deal as last time! The prices have gone up since last year (the ebay listing noted earlier is the ‘old’ design that he wants to get rid of – then the price goes up!).
The price is $1k for the new design radiator/oil cooler, once we get to 6 committed I can drop it to $950. My deal also include new upper radiator mounts (I don’t want anybody to trash their new radiators!) and the beaded aluminum tube that you will need to splice the lower radiator hose to the shorter length.

I also have the complete oil line for $250 in either black fabric or regular stainless braided lines. This includes the adapters for the oil lines to block connection.
If you want a non oil cooler version - $600 and then $550 once we get the whole group over 6 buyers.

Shipping (to the US) is usually right around $35.

Direct email – chris@944enhancement.com
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

How hard is it to replace the stock hoses without taking out the engine? It looks very tight but is it possible if the pump is removed?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed this radiator, and replaced the hoses, with the engine in the car. It's a tad tight, but not a huge deal or burden.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by KSira
How hard is it to replace the stock hoses without taking out the engine? It looks very tight but is it possible if the pump is removed?
If you are talking about the oil lines it can be done in the car. Removing the oil filter will make it easier.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
If you are talking about the oil lines it can be done in the car. Removing the oil filter will make it easier.
Um...aren't you out doing something?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Um...aren't you out doing something?
It's lunch break at the Ski area and I'm always jacked in somehow!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
OK, It took a while to get it all ironed out – in the end it came out as the same deal as last time! The prices have gone up since last year (the ebay listing noted earlier is the ‘old’ design that he wants to get rid of – then the price goes up!).
The price is $1k for the new design radiator/oil cooler, once we get to 6 committed I can drop it to $950. My deal also include new upper radiator mounts (I don’t want anybody to trash their new radiators!) and the beaded aluminum tube that you will need to splice the lower radiator hose to the shorter length.

I also have the complete oil line for $250 in either black fabric or regular stainless braided lines. This includes the adapters for the oil lines to block connection.
If you want a non oil cooler version - $600 and then $550 once we get the whole group over 6 buyers.

Shipping (to the US) is usually right around $35.

Direct email – chris@944enhancement.com
Chris,
What's the difference between the old and new design?
How many confirmed buyers do you have besides me?
Would you consider the Wizard as good or better than the Griffin?

-BB
Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzi
Chris,
What's the difference between the old and new design?
How many confirmed buyers do you have besides me?
Would you consider the Wizard as good or better than the Griffin?

-BB
The new design has some small changes – the main change is the lower coolant attachment point. It has been ‘bumped out’ to the side to allow for the stock fan shroud to work. Many of the people that bought the original run of cooler radiators were using aftermarket fans so it was not an issue, but since one customer wanted to use the stock fans without major surgery we worked out a fix. Pics were posted a page or so ago.

I have enough buyers to set up the first level discount. I am actually one short but I will go ahead and I can keep that one for stock if nobody else wants it.

I bought one of the first Griffin radiators way back when – it was well made. The second run got very bad reviews for fitment and weld quality. The Wizard radiator has a thicker core and the end tanks are laser cut. The fabrication quality is very nice and the fitment has been tweaked quite a bit. So I do consider the Wizard radiator better (otherwise I wouldn’t bother with it!)
Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Ok – the group buy is going ahead – for all those that expressed interested please email me for an update – I also need to know the following info (email to chris@944enhancement.com) –
Oil cooler – yes/no
Oil lines – none / DIY kit (all parts) / finished lines.
Oil lines – black fabric covered or Stainless (the fittings are all black)
Motor mounts – stock or semisolid
Cooling fans – stock or aftermarket

Current fabrication time is four weeks, there were only two cores in stock and those have been spoken for.
$950 for oil cooler version, $550 for the non oil cooler version and $250 for oil cooler hoses and adapters. $35 will cover shipping to anywhere in the US

I can do paypal, credit card or check.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Aluminum Radiator / Oil Cooler