Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Removal Question

I am looking for some pointers on removing my exhaust right behind the turbo downpipe. looks like a triangular flange with two 15mm bolts, and i am having a tough time reaching up there around the control arm and crossover. This is my first clutch rep. job on this car. Thank you all in advance for any tips you can give me,
Mayhem
Old 01-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If your talking about taking the midpipe off its pretty easy. Get a very long extension with a universal flex joint or better yet the proper sized socket with built in flex joint.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

As Duck said, a long extension (and possibly a swivel) is your friend. You'll probably need a deel well socket. First, try to soak them w/ PB Blaster or similar penetrant. They're usually rusted on. You may consider replacing them w/ copper nuts.

Good luck on the clutch job. I'm just finishing mine and it is a pita. Word of advice: depending on how far along you are, pull the intake manifold and remove the heater valve (I wish I had). Also makes it easier to remove the top housing bolts, ground wires, and speed/ref sensors. Be certain to slot the housing where the speed/ref sensor block lives, too. You can set the sensor depths once you have the flwheel back on but before reinstalling the clutch bellhousing.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayhem'sLV51
looks like a triangular flange with two 15mm bolts,
I believe there are three.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Saga
I believe there are three.
Yep.

Long extension, swivel socket, and aero kroil make short work of it.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for all the responses guys. I'd rather ask those that have been there and done it first, instead of laying on my back cursing for a couple hrs. I have given a pb bath to all the exhaust bolts and nuts. Intake manifold is off and cat-back. I have removed the nuts on the crossover at the header. The crossover is still connected to the turbo, which looks like it will be an interesting experience removing. Might as well pull the turbo while I am at it and rebuild it...and put my manual rack in too... D:<
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

You don't need to remove the cross-over pipe to do the clutch, unless you have an original one-piece cross pipe. If you have the more common two-piece cross-over, with the little removable elbow going to the wastegate, then you can leave the cross-over in place and just remove the little elbow.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Removal Question