Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crispy Harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 AM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crispy Harness

Suggestions on our antique stiff engine wiring harness that cracks somewhere everytime you move it?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Disturb it as little as possible, or be ready to buy a new harness. Lindsey racing sells a good replacement
Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can find low mileage ones on ebay every now and then. I think there are two new ones still in Germany, well there were two after the Kasturbo got one.

I just got my new one back from loaning it out to Sam Lin, and he took it to a company to see if they might be interested in reproducing it. Short to say, it didn't work out. The wiring wasn't an issue and most of the plugs could be gotten with the exception of the DME and KLR plugs, diagnostic port and one more that I can't recall. Keep an eye out - I bought my new one, in the Porsche box for $280 on ebay 6 years ago. I have a low mile 50k one if you're in a bind for one, ohmed out perfect, not yet too brittle.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM
spyder348
Pro

that doesnt sound to bad. all the connectors in tact? for an 86 951?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I bought the Lindsey harness for the speed/ref sensors. Very high quality. It was pretty easy to install and they were good enough to supply generous wire lengths. The only tricky part was the DME connector end, but the instructions were clear and it was not as bad as I expected.

They also make the harness for the injectors and another one (I forget which one). These cars run underhood temps hotter than the surface of the sun (seems like anyway) and PVC insulation is one of the casualties.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ski
you can find low mileage ones on ebay every now and then. I think there are two new ones still in Germany, well there were two after the Kasturbo got one.

I just got my new one back from loaning it out to Sam Lin, and he took it to a company to see if they might be interested in reproducing it. Short to say, it didn't work out. The wiring wasn't an issue and most of the plugs could be gotten with the exception of the DME and KLR plugs, diagnostic port and one more that I can't recall. Keep an eye out - I bought my new one, in the Porsche box for $280 on ebay 6 years ago. I have a low mile 50k one if you're in a bind for one, ohmed out perfect, not yet too brittle.
Why would you need new DME KLR plugs anyway?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

I'm currently researching the cost of building a COMPLETE replacement DME harness for the 951. I had an engine fire which completely destroyed my original harness, and after sourcing two used ones that had the insulation coming apart, decided that it made more sense to build one. As of right now, sourcing all new Bosch electrical connectors is the most difficult/expensive part. With the purchase of the appropriate colored wires, it looks like each harness will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $350. Still, it's considerably less than getting one of the last new harnesses, and I intend to use thermal sleeving similiar to what LR uses.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:25 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

The connectors are made by AMP. Eagle day carries them (link below). Even better would be to buy them directly from AMP once the part number is determined. You could even use gold plated contacts for more a reliable connection. The big plugs on the DME and KLR are probably sourced from AMP or someone else.

www.eagleday.com/electrical
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
Why would you need new DME KLR plugs anyway?
You are planning on selling a NEW harness, someone is going to pay for a NEW harness - and you want used plugs? This was to be a complete 100% new harness, nothing used.

If you have the time, you can stretch out an old harness, source the AMP connectors and the Pins used in the DME/KLR plug, you can build yourself a new harness, splice in the gauge connection and the diagnostic port.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

If someone was offering a complete new plug-n-play harness with all the correct connectors and good thermal insulation, I would be happy to pay $350 for it.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

$350? No ****. EVERYONE on this board would do that but it ain't gonna happen. I looked into this a few years ago and had two companies that would make them. Not maybe, for sure. They would have been in the $7-800 range but they would be available and new. Priced similarly to the OE harness.

"Someone" that I worked with had no interest in something like that so it didn't happen. Too bad too. Would have made money on them and sold plenty. It is not like they all are not failing left and right.

Good thing the other project that took precedence over the harness succeeded....oh wait, it didn't. Never mind.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

I’m in the process of rebuilding my harness. All new Junior Timer connectors from KayJay (www.kayjayco.com). Reusing the DME and KLR connectors with new pins. Also reusing the connector to the central wiring harness and various other small connectors. Running GXL automotive wire everywhere except speed, ref. and O2 sensors, which are shielded Tefzel. Everything under the hood will be covered in various sizes of Insultherm fiberglass sleeving. Past the firewall I’ll be using F6 self wrapping sleeve for easy access.

So far I’m about $320 in to it, not counting tools (although I did buy a fair amount more wire than needed). So I’d agree that a $350 price point is too low, especially considering the labor.

BTW, if anyone’s interested I have the Tyco/AMP part numbers for some of the connectors, including what I believe are the part numbers for the DME and KLR connectors.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested in the part numbers.
Could you send me a PM with them?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:33 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member