Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

When to Give Up of 951??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
What does a typical short block rebuild cost for these cars?

I have seen Lindsey and SFR pricing. Is this "typical", expensive, or cheap?

I am weighing options of just biting the bullet and having a complete fresh engine. Frustration mixed with hopefulness mixed with aggravation mixed with excitement.

-Dana
Lindsey is at 2K. Well parts and labor seems OK, but I'm not sure.
SFR seems pricey. ~3K.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
2bridges
Drifting

treat it like it's a toy not an investment - you pay to play.
If you expect to even break even to sell you are in the wrong line of car.

dollar per mile is a trap -
I suspect I am like many other here are in the $8-$10 per mile range.
it's only money
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

I think of my 951 this way, as long as my family(Wife, Fishes, and Baby in the way) have everything that we need, then I put a little bit of money on the side for the toy(Wife doesn't know). Now if the toy is going to take money away from my family needs then I'll have a problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Hi Dana,

If you are considering a rebuild or replacement I have a 951S motor that consists of a factory replacement block with only 20K or so miles on it and the 951S head, although I do not know if the head was freshened or not. I have not looked at the bores and seeing as the turbo was replaced it is possible the bores are not perfect but we could get a borescope and take a look. If you want all or part of it we can probably work something out as you are local. The motor has been in my shop since Will and I pulled it out of the 951S donor car I bought some years ago. I am in the early stages of selling off Turbo parts (or looking for a Turbo with a blown motor to fix.)

-Joel.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM
manticore33
Racer

Since I do my own work, I limit the "while I am in there" work. Everyone is more than willing to give you a laundry list of things to do "while you are in there." You have to determine what is critical to be done to maintain usability of the car. For instance, really does it matter it leaks a little bit of oil? Etc, etc.

For me, often, I will eat the extra time to do something 'again' to keep the car on the road. I would hate to have the car perpetually on the jack stands doing the "while I am in there." What good is a pile of new parts that you never get to run? Now, if it is something critical to the long-term running of the car, I'll do the "while I am in there."

It is an old car, there will always be problems, but I sort of like it that way.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by minho78
Lindsey is at 2K. Well parts and labor seems OK, but I'm not sure.
SFR seems pricey. ~3K.
iirc my NA rebuild cost like 12-1500 in just parts and services (cleaning parts etc) with my and my dads labor.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:06 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thrilled to have dumped the $$ into mine when I did. Parts were cheaper and spending countless hours on the garage floor was far more enjoyable.

Today, I'm guessing a pizza and a six of something yummy will over rule a vacuum leak.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Feeling a little better instantly. More in the range I had already planned for doing work. They are telling me with putting in new bearings, oil pan gasket, clutch, turbo, etc, etc, that it will be about 33hours labor. It was much more palatable than adding up 14 hour book labor for clutch, 12 for oil pan gasket, etc, etc.

This brings total labor down more into the range I was expecting. Now its looking like to get the car not leaking, running good, new bottom end, clutch, everything, it maybe is gonna be about $1000 more than I had initially expected. Much easier to swallow.

I may as well do the nissan (or have the alternator rebuilt). Its a PITA. Will probably make fitting a vitesse turbo easier too.

-Dana
Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 PM
future
Banned

"when do I throw in the towel?"

when the wallet is empty....
LOL or look at divorcing the wife or dumping the GF first ... that will sure free up some cash and live on cheap dollar hookers instead.

Well that or get yourself a Russian import as I did – very economical as long as you like mushroom soup
Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.. guessing the Nissan is the way to go.

That alt is the single biggest headache for a larger turbo.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:55 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

future... I keep trying to have you help me get into trouble. I think D9 has something I need and will be in Switzerland in a week and half.....

Remember that hood vent??

Shop just came back with leak down numbers 4% cold leak down on three cylinders and 5% on one.

So just slap bearings in there to support the added power of the Vitesse stuff. Day is getting better...

-Dana
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
future
Banned

Yes mate I remember

Where abouts in Switzerland will you be ... If you are near to Zurich Airport / City then our factory is only 10 minutes away. I will not be over there but Beni will and I'm sure he will be pleased to see you drop in and take you out for a few beers etc - Let me know
Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Most Lausanne but need to make a trip to the headquarters in Zurich.

-Dana
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A couple of thoughts – If you are having the engine removed you should really consider adding a 3 piece crossmember and the exhaust cross over mod (adding a flange by the O2 sensor). It will really make life easier in the future!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put so much cash into my car last year it really hurt, but i love her. She was real nice to me in November. Just for that I may treat her with a nissan alternator next summer.

Quick Reply: When to Give Up of 951??