Inexpensive Digital Scope...$70

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive Digital Scope...$70

There have been lots of posts on how to check the speed/reference sensors, injector duty cycle, idle controller and the real answer is " You need a scope"

I ran across a very simple, one channel digital scope that should work for measuring anything on the engine sensors.

Scope is $49.99 and the scope probe is $18.99. So for under $70, the price of a DVM, you can have a scope. All the parts are soldered on the board. The scope is fully assembled and ready to use.

Digital Scope:
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...age=1&featured

Scope probe:
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...age=1&featured
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bri Bro; 01-02-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... Thanks!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I've got one that plugs into usb sitting in the draw for about 2 years I still have to solder it up
Old 12-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have tested some of the USB scope and for low frequency repetitive signal they work fine. The only problem is that you need to have a portable computer connected to them to see the signals and this can get awkward in the engine compartment.

The advantage of the USB scope is the ability to store traces and you can get them in dual channels.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 PM
duff
1st Gear

There is an Australian company called Pico that makes a great single trace scope for about $200 (PicoScope 2104). It also connects to a USB port on your laptop. I have been using them for a few years at work with great results. It's capable of reading signals faster than a CAN network, so working on our old cars is no problem. Check out their website:

http://www.picotech.com
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I like it. First tool buy of the new year!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

hey show us a photo of the back so we can see how tricky it is to build
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ah here it is
http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/062_back.jpg
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian, thanks for posting. I just ordered one
Old 01-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
hey show us a photo of the back so we can see how tricky it is to build
The company that designed and manufactures the scope has two versions. One has all the SMT parts soldered on and you have to solder on a few of the larger leaded parts. The second has all the parts on the board. The link in post #1 is for a distributor that is selling the complete board.

In any case, here is a picture of the back of the board. One thing to remember is that the board can run off of battery power. I would add two 1N4001 diodes in series with the positive lead to drop the voltage down a little. You can get them at radio shack. The power plug is a 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel style plug. If you have as many wall wart power supplies as I do, just dig through them until you find a jack that fits and cut the end off. Make sure you get the polarity right on the plugs leads. Center is positive.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036268
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bri Bro; 01-02-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:08 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check to Velleman HPS10. Very nice product, and I think I paid around $170 or so.
10MHz sampling rate, sensitive down to 1mV/division. Impressive performance and perfect for just about any tuning/sensor data work.

More info here - http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/0/hps10.pdf
Old 01-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Brian, thanks for posting. I just ordered one
Anytime...tell us what you think of it. The one I tested worked quite nicely.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

That's a steal($70). The ones I used in college were arround 15K. We have them at work also and I can borrow one if I need but first I have to fresh up before I use them.
Thanks maybe I'll get one and build it later.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

And it's got an adjustable external trigger, which is just what you need if you are looking at spark retard/advance etc.
Think I'll get one myself - I couldn't build it for that money.
Good find Brian.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 AM
OnTheMove
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
I have tested some of the USB scope and for low frequency repetitive signal they work fine. The only problem is that you need to have a portable computer connected to them to see the signals and this can get awkward in the engine compartment.

The advantage of the USB scope is the ability to store traces and you can get them in dual channels.
Or 4 CH : ) Laptop Has loads of storage for My Inginuity Scanner, ended up her and a Scope thread, But any chance any one has a Fuse panel, and maybe a harness for a 1983 928S. Have one in sad shape where I work, and pretty sure I'm stuck with it : ( The owner dug one up somehow lol computers he lack alot lol, pull plug to turn it off. But anyway the one the came in months ago he handed me the other day and said, see if it runs. 1st problem as I got ready to TRY lol, OOPs relay holes didn't match Ugh oh. I can post the Revision # if needed the one that came in is 1 off I think the one in the car is a .05 and one in hand is .06. I'd love to watch the assemeblers, since most wires are not color coded. Or a good pic to rewire the damn think would be nice : ) I guess a little history on it My nightmare, a bit crashed up, hood mainly, to check power steering. Yet before it was towed in some one tried to steal it, damaged dash big time. Ignition switch was wasted, after it came in found a cooked harness and fuse box. Needless to say since the wrong fuse block came in, someone decided to rip off the few pieces of stereo equiptment in the car. Probably from the 80's lol, good resale value. So might have a need for the Cluster Cover / cluster, the center section of the dash, harness, and the right fuse block. I'd probably be dead before rewiring the wrong one, The Saddest part is there is a nice red 85 or so up the street it looks like its in pretty good shape for less then 5K lol, well compared to the mess i'm looking at. If anyone has some of this stuff please let me know, not my car but will try to remember to check in from time to time. My vote is part it out : ) Which I hope happens, Need parts send a message i can try to make it happen, it's been a year or 2 and a great challenge. But not knowing if it ran before everything it's been thru even more so lol. And probably a good think I'm hourly : ) Advanced thanks to All!

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Digital Scope...$70