Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Slotting the clutch housing - am I doing this right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:20 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Slotting the clutch housing - am I doing this right?

Hey Guys and Gals,

Taking the old adage of 'measure twice, cut once' one step further, I thought I'd ask those who've actually made the cut before I make mine.

I'm in the middle of replacing my clutch and want to slot the clutch housing so I don't have to remove the speed & ref sensors and mounting block in the future.

I've marked in orange where I think the housing should be cut, but would first like to hear from those who have done it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Later,
Jerome
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks about right where I cut mine, don't think there is any real need to be precise.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good to me.. i reckon it will cut off about an hour off the clutch job in the future which i hopefully will never need to do again.. .

Wish mine was slotted prior to my last clutch job.. getting those sensors out was an almost 2hr ordeal. Which ended in me breaking the bracket and replacing it with the older style without EMF shield...which resulted in another 2hrs spend replacing the sensor bracket again with the correct EMF shielded one ..

Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Looks about right where I cut mine, don't think there is any real need to be precise.
Yep no need to worry about getting it exact just make sure its wide enough to slide the sensors in
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks Guys.

Jon, my sensor bracket experience was similar to yours. Took me ~3 hours to get off the sensors, bracket, grounds, etc. Even after I got the bracket loose, I couldn't remove it from the engine block (wouldn't slide out, kept hitting on the clutch housing; prying, twisting, and cussing wouldn't get it to come free). It came out once I got the clutch housing loose.

Wish I had known about this mod when I did the clutch 10 years ago (but I was a newbie then).

Quick Reply: Slotting the clutch housing - am I doing this right?