Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clunking issue from distributor cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:50 PM
t34418l31
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking issue from distributor cap

I diagnosed a no start issue to a rotor screw the backed its self out. Once I correctly aligned the rotor the car started without issue but now had aloud "clunk" from the front of the motor. I took the distributor cap and rotor off again and realized that the 'collar' on the camshaft was lose.

Unfortunately, the bolt labeled "A" on the diagram is nearly stripped so I think it will have to be drilled out? I just wanted to make sure I'm going in the right direction by thinking that bolt "B" is loose and once "A" is drilled out the first collar will slide off revealing the loose bolt. Is this correct?

Also is there any trick for removing the 'console for distributor cap' (the big triangle shaped cover) as labeled in the 944 repair manuals?
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the key way has not been wallowed out if it was run with the cam gear bolt loose. pull the collar and the gear off to check the gear and cam. For the console cover remove the cap then the 3 screws in the cover will have to pry it off gently as there are 2 sleeves . once the bolt B is out the collar will come off and the gear as well so you can check the key ways .

Do make sure to set the crank and cam on the marks before taking any of this apart.

Clifton

Last edited by C ANDERSON; 12-24-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: finish answering the questions
Old 12-25-2009, 12:17 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you have access to the loose bolt, you may find that the head was stripped during assembly not allowing the proper torque to be met. Don’t be surprised if you need a new bolt.

Quick Reply: Clunking issue from distributor cap