Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR exhaust fitment beyond terrible.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy SFR exhaust fitment beyond terrible.....

I don't know if anyone else has this issue with their SFR exhaust but the fitment on mine is beyond bad. The first half of the 3" test pipe is pointed so far into the right side of the tunnel that by the time I get the other half on it is wedged against it. Then when the catback is on it torques the rest of the exhaust back into the frame up front where the control arm mounts and rattles. I love the exhaust but I don't know what in the world is wrong with mine. Anyone else had this issue? I can think of a lot better things to do with my weekend instead of laying on a cold garage floor.

Bad cell phone pics...
Attached Images   
Old 12-20-2009, 03:52 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you hhave bad motor mounts or just solid one in place of factory?
Old 12-20-2009, 04:16 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

The mounts are stock, they have a few years on them now but the exhaust still positioned itself like this when they were new.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Didn't have any issues installing mine. One thing I found out is that the cat delete pipe must be oriented a certain way tho.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:19 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm...

Don't want to **** off any of the vendors on here, becasue I've had good luck with all so far, so I hope no one takes this the wrong way. Just reporting what I've found...

At one point, and not sure if they still do, I believe SFR was getting their 3" polished exhaust from Fabspeed (a little searching on this forum and you can find where I got that from). I bought a used Fabspeed system, supposedly less than 1000 miles on it and it looked pretty much new when I got it. Anyway, mine fits the exact same way as yours. Had to loosen leave everything loose and line it all up as best I could then tighten it all, but I was still expecting a better fit based on the feedback I've seen. Mine was used though, so I have no idea what it'd been through - but like I say it looked new, save for some black soot on the inners.

I also found the cat delete pipe likes to be oriented in a certain way...
Old 12-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

To echo what mtnman82 is saying, i have a Fabspeed midpipe from around '03 that one of the previous owners put on. It does the same thing, angling toward the right side of the car, though not as bad as yours in the picture. I did have some trouble with the flange from the midpipe to the SFR cat-back coming in contact with the heatshield around the transmission tunnel on bumps after i put everything back on after doing my clutch, but i readjusted the hangers on the torque tube and no longer have the problem. It was quite a stretch though for the rubber hanger mounts.

Here is an old picture where you can see its angled aswell.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:39 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Well you are dealing with a tight area to begin with. Are you using the v band set up but the turbo or stock? you may need to twist it.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to dimple my SFR in a few places like by the suspension point noted in the OP. I found installing it all loose then fitting everything as best as you can and finally tighten it all down from the front back works best.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Hmmmm...

Don't want to **** off any of the vendors on here, becasue I've had good luck with all so far, so I hope no one takes this the wrong way. Just reporting what I've found...

At one point, and not sure if they still do, I believe SFR was getting their 3" polished exhaust from Fabspeed (a little searching on this forum and you can find where I got that from). I bought a used Fabspeed system, supposedly less than 1000 miles on it and it looked pretty much new when I got it. Anyway, mine fits the exact same way as yours. Had to loosen leave everything loose and line it all up as best I could then tighten it all, but I was still expecting a better fit based on the feedback I've seen. Mine was used though, so I have no idea what it'd been through - but like I say it looked new, save for some black soot on the inners.

I also found the cat delete pipe likes to be oriented in a certain way...
As far as I know they still do. I just bought a true 3" system from Tim and it was a Fabspeed piece. I even got stickers with it!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:41 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am installing mine in a couple months. Just got the downpipe. I will take photos then but i am still deciding if I should go with solid motor mounts or not
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

maybe it needs a little mandrel tweaking
Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I diddent have any issues fitting my Borla catback from SFR but i havent recived the Testpipe yet so not sure how that will work out. Reminds me tired of waiting for the rest...
Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

This is not a newly purchased unit, it has been on the car for years but the fitment has always been an issue for me. It's a true 3" test pipe with a 3" downpipe on a stock K26. The only way I can get it to fit without it rubbing something is to have the test pipe halves be tightened down slightly cocked which causes it to have a slight leak at that joint. Like everyone else said the back portion of the test pipe does have some orientation to it but mine will only fit semi decently in one position, which is not the ideal position for the catback.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:31 AM
lejams
Pro

I have the same 3" pipe and the same issues. I had a very similar problem with a 2.5 B&B years ago. After the Fabspeed I began to wonder if the same template was being used. Makes me think all after-market exhausts fit like shat Before long I plan to have it chopped & re-worked.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

i say get your fire wrench out and heat that sucker up and tweak it a bit

Quick Reply: SFR exhaust fitment beyond terrible.....