Default Something doesn't look right...

It was looking like this...

Now...

As one of my friends said..."That e-brake handle looks lost"
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as a steering enhancer its bloody hopeless but if you use it to park while some nice girl leans over and blows you its probably a good design
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Well as a steering enhancer its bloody hopeless but if you use it to park while some nice girl leans over and blows you its probably a good design
HAHA...that does promote some good space...little uncomfortable though
Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Nice work
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious about that cage. Do you have a closeup of how it connects at the front?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I'm curious about that cage. Do you have a closeup of how it connects at the front?
No close up shots...sorry. But the cage is welded in. The cage is mounted to a rectangular foot plate which the previous owner had welded in. I bought the car with the cage in it.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:27 PM
future
Banned

Something doesn't look right...
It's looking MORE than right to me

And looking forwards to more pics
Old 12-01-2009, 02:52 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by future
It's looking MORE than right to me

And looking forwards to more pics
Does someone want a teaser list of whats going on...cuz i probably wont have pictures till its done
Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

go on tease us!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

well i dont like tan carpet...so i got a black carpet from an s2. hopefully once the srd's sell i will be picking up a recaro pole postion and schroth harness. Going to follow Doc's write up for his RS style door cards and work a little magic on the whole dash bit which will be the custom part of the whole deal. Not sure how long its all going to take with limited amount of time during the week and the car not being at my house. Might be picking this alacantra dash from a friend and then making a custom bottom section for gauges and boost controller...would be nice to have a push button start...
Old 12-03-2009, 12:39 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

bump this up...anyone have any ideas for a sort of race dash look with keeping the upper portion of the dash and making a custom center console. Anyone know of any pics out there
Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Bad fire extinguisher mounting point...as an instructor I would not ride in your car with it mounted there.
Either get a Brey Kraus seat mount or mount it behind the seat.

Also - I have said this before but its worth repeating - never drive/ride in a caged car unless you are wearing a helmet....that steel tube will smash your skull in even a minor accident. A roll bar can be configured for street use but not a cage.

By looking at the pictures and your description I am not quite sure want you want to do with this car. If you are really going to street drive it you need to rethink the safety issues. You are much more likely to get injured/killed by the cage tubing (without a helmet) than needing the cage protection from a rollover. For track use the added door bar protection is used much more often than roll over protection…

Sorry to rain on your project…but I would rather not see you get brain damage….
Old 12-03-2009, 04:26 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Bad fire extinguisher mounting point...as an instructor I would not ride in your car with it mounted there.
Either get a Brey Kraus seat mount or mount it behind the seat.

Also - I have said this before but its worth repeating - never drive/ride in a caged car unless you are wearing a helmet....that steel tube will smash your skull in even a minor accident. A roll bar can be configured for street use but not a cage.

By looking at the pictures and your description I am not quite sure want you want to do with this car. If you are really going to street drive it you need to rethink the safety issues. You are much more likely to get injured/killed by the cage tubing (without a helmet) than needing the cage protection from a rollover. For track use the added door bar protection is used much more often than roll over protection…

Sorry to rain on your project…but I would rather not see you get brain damage….

its ok...you arent raining on my project. I bought the car with the cage in it. I wanted to start doing autocross and DE events, I just havent had anytime. So the only use has been occasional street driving when its nice out. The fire extinguisher was also mounted there by previous owner.

I took the tan carpet out so that I could replace it with a black carpet and also turn the door cards into RS style door cards like DOC did. Also selling the SRD's so i can get a recaro pole position and an up to date harness since the simpsons were made in 2003.

As far as the dash is concerned I dont need a radio in the car and I want to get rid of the tan underside. The question is how do i get it out with the cage in, since the cage is welded in. I was thinking of doing some sort of custom gauge panel and shortening the center console to only involve the shift boot and the gauge panel or something of the sort.

The car was set up for racing, and at least the front upper bar of the cage is removeable and the side intrusion bars are never in it when i'm driving on the street. Those would only go in it if I was going to be racing the car...whenever that may be.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

So today in this lovely New England weather and being stuck in traffic on 95 in NY at a stand still for an hour...myself and a friend made it to Stable Energies where I was thinking I was going to buy a Recaro Pole Position seat for my car. Well I did have a budget to work with and what I got today, I didn't break the budget. Laurette helped me out and she is very knowledgable about the products they carry. I sat in all of the seats within my budget that I was interested in, and to my surprise I found a seat that I didnt expect I would.

I selected a Kirkey aluminum race seat which was more comfortable to sit in than the Pole Position. Better fitting, better feel. Felt like an all around awesome seat as well as half the price of the pole position which left me more money in the budget to spend on some other goodies. Also was able to get a new Schroth Profi II 6 point harness.

And my first racing helmet is now an HJC AR-10, flat black in color.

Would like to give alot of props to Laurette at Stable Energies with helping me out. I know I will be a repeat customer. Especially when its time to get the passenger seat.

Hopefully next time I have a day off, I will be getting back to working on getting the black carpet back into the car as well as pictures to show. And the RS style door panels.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Justin...looking good

How much weight do you think you saved by removing the carpet and sound deadening material?

Quick Reply: Something doesn't look right...