Something doesn't look right...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aben8057
Justin...looking good

How much weight do you think you saved by removing the carpet and sound deadening material?
Actually not really saving any weight. I'm going to be putting in black carpet. I didnt like the black/tan combo so only want all black. The car gets driven on the street primarily when its nice out and even then...it barely comes out. If i was actually going to be completely rebuilding the car, I might think about leaving the carpet out if the whole shell was going to be repainted and whatnot...but to make a simple answer long...no weight savings, except in the choice of seats from Recaro SRD's to a single Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat and one for the passenger side eventually.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

alright, so got to install some black carpet today. Everything is pretty much all layed out and will have to take the center carpet that goes under the seats up in order to attach a harness bolt through the tunnel, as well as to drill two holes in the floor for the lower harness mounting points under the seat. I stripped the door cards of the material and will be following Doc's DIY on making them all nicey nicey. So here are a couple pics of the nice work my friend Tim did who owns the shop thats in my sig. Made some nice cuts in the carpet to go around the cage. Will take better pics when i'm done.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Justin, something I forgot to mention when I picked up the seats. You can dye the lower section of your tan dash if you don't like it, can get away with respraying (dying) it without taking out the dash.
I refinished my friends dash and the dye works very well. It took some time to get the shading right with the maroon color I did. But black should be pretty easy.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

thanks jon, trying to see what I can take out exactly before I may go that route
Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

well its been a while and i just started working on the RS style door panels. Following PorscheDoc's writeup...as of right now I just got done cutting out the holes for the pull strap trim piece from the 964 rs...now to mock up where the strap will be bolted into the door itself...pics will come later
Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Justin, to follow up on this. Yes if you could show your RS cards and what you did to convert accross while retaining Power windows.
Were these cards a product that you bought or had made or made yourself? I'll need to check mine out and see what they look like again.
Been a long time. I'll also do a search for Doc's thread.

So you've kept the cage in the car? Have you had it padded at least? As Chris points out, they really are a hazard on the street. My car will be driven
to and from the track and pretty much left alone between so I'm not as concerned, but still have to be very careful.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Justin, to follow up on this. Yes if you could show your RS cards and what you did to convert accross while retaining Power windows.
Were these cards a product that you bought or had made or made yourself? I'll need to check mine out and see what they look like again.
Been a long time. I'll also do a search for Doc's thread.

So you've kept the cage in the car? Have you had it padded at least? As Chris points out, they really are a hazard on the street. My car will be driven
to and from the track and pretty much left alone between so I'm not as concerned, but still have to be very careful.

Pat, i took the original vinyl off of the stock door cards, my buddy tim who owns the shop in my username pretty much did all the rest and i just bought the materials. I used PorscheDoc's writeup if you search our forum for "rs style". used black whisper vinyl and some quilt batting to fill in the map pocket. Tim cut some stiff cardboard to fill in the speaker holes and then glued a bigger piece onto the back of the door card. The nylon pull strap is screwed right to the door under the door card using two self tapping metal screws which are maybe half an inch long and nowhere near the window when it goes up and down. I myself managed to measure and cut and attach the 911 RS strap pieces pretty well. Which i found four small screws (two for each) and screwed those to the door card after it was wrapped with one piece of the vinyl. Nothing needs to be done with the power window portion, other than cutting the vinyl where the hole in the door card is in order to screw back on the trim piece.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

as for the cage, the previous owners had put padding on the bars...and when I drive the car i'm always wearing the harness since i took out the stock three point belt...i dont go anywhere
Old 02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

These are just cell phone pics that Tim took...

here is the door card with the batting on it to cover the map pocket. we only put the batting up to the portion of the door card that sticks out.

crappy cell phone pic, kinda dark...but you can see where the pull strap is screwed into.

And here is the finished product. One piece of whisper vinyl...the only part that was wierd is located on the part of the door card that when the door is closed, its covered by the dash. the part in front of the trim piece with the window switches
Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks great. So judging by you and P-Doc's write ups, you either convert a stock door card or make up one, or even buy one like I have...but have to check on switch locations. Maybe able to convert 2 into 1.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Looks great. So judging by you and P-Doc's write ups, you either convert a stock door card or make up one, or even buy one like I have...but have to check on switch locations. Maybe able to convert 2 into 1.
i think doc stripped his door cards just like i did...as for switch locations nothing is different
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, I stripped the stock door cards as well and used batting to cover the pocket. I am going to do another set by cutting off the lower card, and just using the upper section with a new lower card, I just haven't had time to do it. I think Chad996 did it with a new lower as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice

Quick Reply: Something doesn't look right...