Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Remove engine out top?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Hmmm. Interesting. I would think that fighting to get the motor off the TT without sliding it back would be more hassle and frustration than it's worth. I'm not a super speedy guy but I can usually have the trans out within an hour. Sliding the TT back is another 15 minutes or so. Then you'd be able to just go straight down with the motor, vs. jiggling it forward... no?

I've never gone out the bottom before, just the top, and it was a pain - though IMO the "pain" part had very little to do with the trans/TT and had everything to do with having to disassemble the entire motor before removing it (turbo, accessories, heat shields, etc). I was going to try the bottom approach this winter to swap in my fresh motor but decided to take the hit against my "car guy frequent flyer card" and pay someone else to do the physical motor swap. I'll do the rest of it (fluids, wiring, etc) after he puts the new motor in the hole.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Hmmm. Interesting. I would think that fighting to get the motor off the TT without sliding it back would be more hassle and frustration than it's worth. I'm not a super speedy guy but I can usually have the trans out within an hour. Sliding the TT back is another 15 minutes or so. Then you'd be able to just go straight down with the motor, vs. jiggling it forward... no?

I've never gone out the bottom before, just the top, and it was a pain - though IMO the "pain" part had very little to do with the trans/TT and had everything to do with having to disassemble the entire motor before removing it (turbo, accessories, heat shields, etc). I was going to try the bottom approach this winter to swap in my fresh motor but decided to take the hit against my "car guy frequent flyer card" and pay someone else to do the physical motor swap. I'll do the rest of it (fluids, wiring, etc) after he puts the new motor in the hole.
In my experience you just have to pay attention to the angle of the engine on your hoist. If it's off it will bind on the shaft, creating a headache. I didn't have much trouble sliding it off or on, but others may if they try my route. Personally I'd rather do it this way, then I don't have to mess with axles, or shift linkages, or take anything apart inside to slide the TT back. It worked like a charm, so it's another way to go about it if anyone cares to give it a shot. If I have to take my engine out again, I won't be touching that damn tranny!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

came out the bottom a few times and just used a carpet to pull from underneath. When installing a load level with help out a ton to get the correct angle to engage the torque tube shaft.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pull the engine out from the bottom, and leave the pressure plate in the car the way Thom does. Why? I have access to to a lift, and its much easier that way.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done both ways and I'd beat myself with a ballpeen hammer before I'd try in out the top again. Out the bottom is so much easier.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Another question. Is a hoist required or could one lift and then drop the engine with a floor jack?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used two floor jacks to lower mine out. And that was an ls3... The Porsche motor would be a lot easier to do this way.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:38 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 314 Likes on 205 Posts

I m considering swapping engines and transmission. I know some cars you can simply life the body off. Has anyone tried that?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:04 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would be nice but the torque tube is going over the torsionbar so this would be tricky.

Quick Reply: Remove engine out top?