lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

How did you manage your a/f ratio?

Originally Posted by DanaT
Sebastian,

The PO of my car installed autothority MAF before I bought the car. I bought my car about 11 years ago (yes prices were higher then). I have also run a manual boost controller. I have run the car upto 19psi (in denver). I have only blown one head gasket. I put in raceware studs and not had head gasket blown since. Of course with a K27/6 turbo and MAF my car only made 255rwhp (uncorrected at 5000ft). You shouldn't worry too much.

I am changing over to a Vitesse system, but that has to do with the fact that I want a lot more power. My goal is 400rwhp (uncorrected) so I need to start with the best baseline. But my car has always run decent with Autothority, just always been rich in the middle.

-Dana
Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently went from autothority to Vitesse.
Vitesse gave me more power and better drivablity.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
How did you manage your a/f ratio?
Well, I could get philosophical or theological, and say I prayed like crazy that I didn't blow a gasket.....

But, since I am at 5000ft I made an educated guess. I generally ran 16psi boost on 11.8psi atmospheric pressure. This meant 27.8 psi absolute pressure. The authority chip set was designed for 1.1 bar boost or 16.2 psi or 30.9 psi absolute. I was running 4 psi under the design for the chips. The car ran like crap with the 3bar FPR so I put the 2.5 bar on it at 16psi in Denver and it runs somewhat rich. When I ran it up to 19psi (with the 3.0 FPR) I was still under the design limits for the chip (in absolute boost). I backed off though because the car really didn't feel any faster with 19psi vs 16psi.

To end the story, the low boost (which when the boost was tapped into the dyno MAP was showing about 14psi boost) is why I only made 255hp uncorrected.

I don't really want to screw around with guessing any longer and the solution I have found is a Vitesse MAF/PiggyBack/Vflex with boost control. It was somewhat pricey but I don't have to buy a standalone electronic boost controller (i want to be able to run constant absolute boost whether driving at the low altitudes of 5000ft or running up the hills at 10000ft). I also thought that this is a good baseline system that I can build upon. Soon a new turbo will come and maybe some other goodies. I should be able to hit my power goals with this system.

That said, the car is fast with the Authority chips. They aren't as bad as people think, they just arent the cat's meow.

-Dana
Old 11-29-2009, 01:40 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Interesting thread...

I have an 89 with Autothority, and no reference to compare it to.

If I wanted to move on up to a Vitesse, (possibly with MAF instead of AFM) what would I need to do?

With the AFM option, is it just a new chip and remove the 'jetted' banjo bolt?

With the MAF option, is it just swap the AFM, a new chip and remove the jetted banjo bolt?

And what (typically) would the ballpark costs usually be for such an upgrade?

-Bearing in mind that this is stock apart from the (APE chips) with the 28/8.

Keith
Old 11-29-2009, 02:22 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
Well, I could get philosophical or theological, and say I prayed like crazy that I didn't blow a gasket.....

But, since I am at 5000ft I made an educated guess. I generally ran 16psi boost on 11.8psi atmospheric pressure. This meant 27.8 psi absolute pressure. The authority chip set was designed for 1.1 bar boost or 16.2 psi or 30.9 psi absolute. I was running 4 psi under the design for the chips. The car ran like crap with the 3bar FPR so I put the 2.5 bar on it at 16psi in Denver and it runs somewhat rich. When I ran it up to 19psi (with the 3.0 FPR) I was still under the design limits for the chip (in absolute boost). I backed off though because the car really didn't feel any faster with 19psi vs 16psi.

To end the story, the low boost (which when the boost was tapped into the dyno MAP was showing about 14psi boost) is why I only made 255hp uncorrected.

I don't really want to screw around with guessing any longer and the solution I have found is a Vitesse MAF/PiggyBack/Vflex with boost control. It was somewhat pricey but I don't have to buy a standalone electronic boost controller (i want to be able to run constant absolute boost whether driving at the low altitudes of 5000ft or running up the hills at 10000ft). I also thought that this is a good baseline system that I can build upon. Soon a new turbo will come and maybe some other goodies. I should be able to hit my power goals with this system.

That said, the car is fast with the Authority chips. They aren't as bad as people think, they just arent the cat's meow.

-Dana
I see, so in order to run higher boost with the authotority without a piggyback we need to move to the Himalayas.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

^

FWIW - I use the Autothority II chips in my (mostly) stock 951, and have had decent success with them. I use it as a DD, so very seldom does it see over 4500 rpms, and I think that may be why I have not seen the problems others have mentioned.

That said, I just picked up a set of 951MAX chips from another lister that I will be installing shortly, and posting a FS thread here for the APE II chips.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanm6100
^

FWIW - I use the Autothority II chips in my (mostly) stock 951, and have had decent success with them. I use it as a DD, so very seldom does it see over 4500 rpms, and I think that may be why I have not seen the problems others have mentioned.

That said, I just picked up a set of 951MAX chips from another lister that I will be installing shortly, and posting a FS thread here for the APE II chips.
With all the APE bashing you really think you are going to find a buyer here?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I've been running Autothority MAF and chips for over 3 years now and no problems whatsoever...tried the MAX Chips, but ran too rich and fouled the plugs black, car is happy with Autothority...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:31 PM
951Ron
AutoX

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new Stealth package John released in October?

Quick Reply: Autothority vs Vitesse Chip